+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Warnock makes offer for mystery player

Warnock makes offer for mystery player

Boss talks about Fulham's interest in Joe Bennett while saying he's in the market for a new player

More...

Rumours in the last 24 hours that Fulham are interested in full back Joe Bennett have been confirmed by Neil Warnock.

The London club have initiated talks with Bennett and Warnock said

“I've spoken to him tonight and they are talking to our people..

“I'm not aware of anything definite, but I think he has a buy-out clause in his contract so it's up to them to meet it, and if they do they're entitled to talk to him. It doesn't mean he's going anywhere, mind.”

C:WindowsTempphpE07F.tmp

But it seems Warnock is looking to add to his squad, whether Bennett stays or goes.

“We're always looking. You don't know what's going to happen in the next two or three weeks, but we're quietly confident bringing someone in. We're missing a natural left-footer and we're struggling on that at the minute, but we will look at options in case people leave which is what we're doing.

“And I might be getting someone else this week if I get a chance; I've made an offer for a player that no-one knows about yet.

“But I'm looking how we can keep topping the squad up so if we get one or two injuries in certain areas we've got enough. I'm looking for hungry type of player come into squad.”

Re: Warnock makes offer for mystery player

Brighton manager watches our game with Zohore, apparently, his target and meanwhile we go to 1/5 favourites to sign a tall, pacy striker with a side relegated from the Championship who has only been able to score on a consistent basis in non league and fourth division football - hope these two things aren't related .

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Brighton manager watches our game with Zohore, apparently, his target and meanwhile we go to 1/5 favourites to sign a tall, pacy striker with a side relegated from the Championship who has only been able to score on a consistent basis in non league and fourth division football - hope these two things aren't related .
    If Brighton offer £20m, then I guess the club and the fans would accept that for Zohore ?

That's been my attitude up to now, but if that were to happen, I reckon the start we've made would lead to a few Toshack comparisons and "same old City" comments from fans. I'm pretty sure City have replacements in mind and, as long as there was enough time left in the window when any sale of Zohore or another of our really important players took place, I'd back Warnock to bring in players who could maintain our momentum - can't help thinking we'd need better than Omar Bogle if Zohore left though.

That's been my attitude up to now, but if that were to happen, I reckon the start we've made would lead to a few Toshack comparisons and "same old City" comments from fans. I'm pretty sure City have replacements in mind and, as long as there was enough time left in the window when any sale of Zohore or another of our really important players took place, I'd back Warnock to bring in players who could maintain our momentum - can't help thinking we'd need better than Omar Bogle if Zohore left though.
    I don't see how the potential sale of Zohore compares to Toshack, as we are only 3 games in. If we did get £20m in for him, it would help the club next season when the Parachute Payments come to an end. Every player has a price and considering what he was like prior to the Wolves game last season I would expect him to be gone before the window closes.

City winning without Zohore scoring isn't a bad combination at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by Superdad View Post
    I don't see how the potential sale of Zohore compares to Toshack, as we are only 3 games in. If we did get £20m in for him, it would help the club next season when the Parachute Payments come to an end. Every player has a price and considering what he was like prior to the Wolves game last season I would expect him to be gone before the window closes.
    I don't think it would the same as the Toshack situation, but I believe there would be those who would and the club would face a lot of criticism in the short term at least if Zohore was sold - I think it would be very important that a large portion of the money received was spent on replacement(s) because it would need signings that captured the public's imagination and made them think that we were still serious about trying to get a top six finish this season.

I believe this is the squad player NW spoke about last week.
    we have no back up to KZ as I cant see fred being on the horizon anytime soon.

Quote Originally Posted by fred keenor View Post
    I believe this is the squad player NW spoke about last week.
    we have no back up to KZ as I cant see fred being on the horizon anytime soon.
    I'd say Ward could do a decent job as a target man, but I hope you're right - Warnock also spoke about the need to get another left footer into the squad (Bogle is two footed according to Wikipedia)

The mind Bogles...

We've been linked with Omar Bogle before though - he's on his way out of Wigan so it's putting 2 and 2 together and hoping the answer is 4 more than anything. We could be after anybody tbh - club seem to have a good job stemming the leaks.

I'd say Ward could do a decent job as a target man, but I hope you're right - Warnock also spoke about the need to get another left footer into the squad (Bogle is two footed according to Wikipedia)
    Jack Colback is a versatile left-footed player that looks to be left out of Newcastle's 25 man squad. Can play left back, centre mid and left mid. Think he might be one Warnock is looking at.

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro de la Rosa View Post
    Jack Colback is a versatile left-footed player that looks to be left out of Newcastle's 25 man squad. Can play left back, centre mid and left mid. Think he might be one Warnock is looking at.

I would be very pleased with that

Quote Originally Posted by thehumblegringo View Post
    I have am definitely not ITK but adding 2 and 2 to get 5! I think his wages might be a stumbling block but certainly fits the criteria Warnock is after and is definitely available for transfer.

Really hope we can keep hold of our current squad (apart from Noone/SoK/Fred) but clearly Warnock is no mug and I have every confidence in his ability to get the right players

Quote Originally Posted by TH63 View Post
    Really hope we can keep hold of our current squad (apart from Noone/SoK/Fred) but clearly Warnock is no mug and I have every confidence in his ability to get the right players
    Keep Fred and get rid of Pilkington

Where would he play though? Left back? I'm not entirely convinced by Jazz at left back, I prefer left sided players to actually be left footed, not convinced Colback is more than a fill in left back. Midfield? Ralls, Gunnarsson, Damour and Tomlin have all played well so bringing Colback in for any of them would be harsh imo. I'd doubt he'd be brought in as a backup player.

I'd say we would need a backup for Zohore more than anything else.

Keep Fred and get rid of Pilkington
    I'd agree about Pilkington, but Fred is gone.

Wasn't taken on pre-season, hasn't been given a squad number. Warnock may have turned that light bulb on in Zohores head, he's clearly not been able to do the same with Fred, doesn't think it will ever happen.

I have am definitely not ITK but adding 2 and 2 to get 5! I think his wages might be a stumbling block but certainly fits the criteria Warnock is after and is definitely available for transfer.

I don't think that Warnock is on about Colback as in my mind what he is saying is that we will need to look at getting another left back if Bennett is sold noting that the only realistic cover we have for that position at present is Jazz who is right footed. It further cements the view that he just does not rate Declan John.

My call is that the offer he mentions relates to a forward noting Warnock's comments last week about needing more options up front with Rhys Healey out of action for a while longer. Maybe a coincidence but money has gone on Omar Bogle to sign for us at about the same time as Warnock confirms we have an offer in for a player.

If they are related in Warnock we must trust ,the only worry would for Tan , the perception of the club and it progress and the squads reaction to Zohore leaving ,I see no reason for the sale now ,as his value will only rise .

Newcastle have been told to off load form the squad if they want to buy ,the one thing we can guarantee Warncok will bring in a tried and tested player if he is an old head or a young talent he has spotted on his travels , we do know that our manager has been and done and seen it and is no fool

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    If they are related in Warnock we must trust ,the only worry would for Tan , the perception of the club and it progress and the squads reaction to Zohore leaving ,I see no reason for the sale now ,as his value will only rise .
    A lot depends on the lad himself. Would he want to cash in on himself?

The thing is, as far as I know, the only teams to show any real interest are lower down the Prem, so potentially he could end up playing in the championship for someone else next season if he left now.
    Alternatively, stick with Warnock, and who knows, maybe he'll be in the Prem next season and end up being a target for the Man U's of this world.

Quote Originally Posted by ccfc_is_my_life View Post
    I'd agree about Pilkington, but Fred is gone.

Wasn't taken on pre-season, hasn't been given a squad number. Warnock may have turned that light bulb on in Zohores head, he's clearly not been able to do the same with Fred, doesn't think it will ever happen.

I believe Fred has had an operation and is still injured.

I thought Cardiff should have signed him a few years ago. Very good player.

Colback left Sunderland for Newcastle on a free so i assume his wages would be astronomical.
    The only way i could see us getting him is on loan and i should imagine we'd be pretty far down in the queue of clubs trying to sign him.

I believe Fred has had an operation and is still injured.
    Wasn't that what was said last season too?

If it was merely a case of being injured, he'd have been given a squad number. He's toast.