+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: A level results day.

Re: A level results day.

Quote Originally Posted by My Name is Dave. View Post
    Well done Mozzetta jnr.

Unfortunately the course my daughter wants to do they don't do in Cardiff, but they do it 30 miles west....
    A Social Anthropology degree needs an abundance of local materials for research purposes I guess!

My son got through his AS levels and can go on to finish his A levels i`m pretty chuffed. He has done better than i thought he would.

No matter what your results are today you should know that with hard work (and little luck) you can achieve good things.

Quote Originally Posted by Pearcey3 View Post
    Great results. Well done to your daughter
    Mozzer is being modest here, his daughter missed 3 months of study due to an operation, she has done extraordinary well, her achievement is quite outstanding.

Quote Originally Posted by Nelsonca61 View Post
    Mozzer is being modest here, his daughter missed 3 months of study due to an operation, she has done extraordinary well, her achievement is quite outstanding.
    She is obviously a very talented young lady. Must get her brain from Mrs Mozzer!!!

So proud of my son, worked his b077ox off, got 3 grade As in Chemistry, Maths & Biology and off to study Medicine in Sheffield. Couldn't be prouder, state school boy and all his own effort. Didn't sleep a wink last night worrying :). Accepted in Exeter as well, rejected at Cardiff and Wales doesn't have enough f***in doctors, makes my blood boil as it would have been his first choice and he'd have bloody stayed in Wales to work afterwards! grrrrrrrrrrr.

Quote Originally Posted by My Name is Dave. View Post
    Daughter knocked it out of the park.
    First member of the family to get to Uni.
    Really proud.
    Just proves she has a good memory. University is a waste of time and money, get her to work and do an apprenticeship at the same time. Life skills as well as a good memory

Quote Originally Posted by Watcliff View Post
    Just proves she has a good memory. University is a waste of time and money, get her to work and do an apprenticeship at the same time. Life skills as well as a good memory
    That is a dreadful, awful thing to say to someone who's daughter has just smashed her A levels.

You really need to feel ashamed.

Quote Originally Posted by tomcat View Post
    So proud of my son, worked his b077ox off, got 3 grade As in Chemistry, Maths & Biology and off to study Medicine in Sheffield. Couldn't be prouder, state school boy and all his own effort. Didn't sleep a wink last night worrying :). Accepted in Exeter as well, rejected at Cardiff and Wales doesn't have enough f***in doctors, makes my blood boil as it would have been his first choice and he'd have bloody stayed in Wales to work afterwards! grrrrrrrrrrr.
    Bloody hell! That's really good!

Send him my congrats

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    That is a dreadful, awful thing to say to someone who's daughter has just smashed her A levels.

You really need to feel ashamed.

Agreed. What a clown this guy is.

My son didn't sleep either and was hitting the scotch in the early hours this morning. What a travesty your boy can't get a place at Cardiff with grades like that. Wales loss is England's gain.

What on Earth did he need to get into Cardiff?

Oh f*ck off

Quote Originally Posted by Zenith View Post
    What on Earth did he need to get into Cardiff?
    I know, he has worked voluntarily in a care home on Sundays for a year, joined St Johns Ambulance, spent an hour each Saturday night helping disabled kids swim and got a top 3% in the UKCAT score. Absolute disgrace, we're going to every away game as well until he goes away. I promised I'd come up and take him to all the "local" games to Sheffield in the season coming. Bloody joke, my mate wants to see our local MP about it, he was on the verge of tears about the injustice of it!

Too much education reliant on the ability to memorise robotic teaching. Fact.

I know, he has worked voluntarily in a care home on Sundays for a year, joined St Johns Ambulance, spent an hour each Saturday night helping disabled kids swim and got a top 3% in the UKCAT score. Absolute disgrace, we're going to every away game as well until he goes away. I promised I'd come up and take him to all the "local" games to Sheffield in the season coming. Bloody joke, my mate wants to see our local MP about it, he was on the verge of tears about the injustice of it!
    Your lad sounds like he's pretty great. Cardiff will be missing out a fantastic student, no question about that.

Give him a congrats from all of us here because he sounds like a future star.

You can't buy memories I am afraid.

And University has 1,2,3 + years of some of my best. And what I imagine will be her best.

Although you will find the people that tend to drink a lot will have this opinion.

If you find the perfect mix of working/going out happy days.

I massively failed at finding that mix.

Problem I have is a lot of grads get their degrees, expect a magical high paying job when in the real world, not good enough to justify it. That's a consequence of trying to get more and more into universities along with pushing polys into being universities - some of the quality is diluted.

More funding needs to go into more vocational education - hands on rather than academic. Plenty going to Uni at the moment would be better served by such alternative choices.

Not fact.

Education in this country is less and less about learning facts, because it is less and less a useful skill. Everyone has Google and calculators these days. Mental arithmetic and knowing the names of all the king's and queens of England are less relevant now.

Quote Originally Posted by ccfc_is_my_life View Post
    Problem I have is a lot of grads get their degrees, expect a magical high paying job when in the real world, not good enough to justify it. That's a consequence of trying to get more and more into universities along with pushing polys into being universities - some of the quality is diluted.

More funding needs to go into more vocational education - hands on rather than academic. Plenty going to Uni at the moment would be better served by such alternative choices.
    Fantastic post and I 100% agree. There is a lot of snobbery when it comes to Universities within families and neighbours but people can do full degrees whilst working full time!! A lot of money wasted by families sending their kids to Universities, making up for the fact that they didn't go. Vocational is the way to go.

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    Not fact.

Education in this country is less and less about learning facts, because it is less and less a useful skill. Everyone has Google and calculators these days. Mental arithmetic and knowing the names of all the king's and queens of England are less relevant now.
    A levels are passed through revising and memory. Nothing else.

Fantastic post and I 100% agree. There is a lot of snobbery when it comes to Universities within families and neighbours but people can do full degrees whilst working full time!! A lot of money wasted by families sending their kids to Universities, making up for the fact that they didn't go. Vocational is the way to go.
    It's not just families though, it's consequence of successive governments of all ilks emphasising University courses over everything else.

Why should, for example, someone whose skills, talent, ability lend themselves more to being a mechanic have less educational promotion than someone doing a media studies course at Uni?

To a point, I'd agree.

Back in the day, I did the first year of GCSE exams. We looked at old O level papers for Computer Studies for one thing - pretty low level concepts like logic gates, the questions were all binary in nature you were either right or wrong. Come the GCSE exam, the questions were all requiring essay type answers; using a scattergun approach you could pick marks up by mentioning things without necessarily displaying in-depth knowledge.

Not really, you seem to be thinking its a set of questions along the lines of "Who did this..."

Like you'd know