+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: If Warnock got us promoted this season

If Warnock got us promoted this season

Would he go down as the best manager we've had?

Re: If Warnock got us promoted this season

Top 6 would still be an unbelievable achievement.

I know we're looking good at the moment but I think we're getting a little carried away. Next month is probably our hardest month on paper and everything might be completely different after that!

That's a yes from me. Promotion with exciting football to boot

Quote Originally Posted by WJ99mobile View Post
    I know we're looking good at the moment but I think we're getting a little carried away. Next month is probably our hardest month on paper and everything might be completely different after that!
    This^^^^^^^

One game at a time folks. Long old way to go yet. Squad players will come into it when injurys and suspensions kick in. Let's keep on supporting the team throughout the season and not getting on people's backs when we drop points etc. I expect us to be in and around the playoffs.

If we beat Wolves on Saturday ...

If that happened he would have to go down as the greatest rough diamond and turd polisher this club has ever had.

I've been a City fan for 53 yrs, so there's no way I'll be getting carried away. I'm just playing devils advocat. We've never won our 1st 3 league games in our history, and we've played some exciting stuff. Our squad suggests it will be a tall order to even finish in the play offs.. That's why I'm asking the question I am.

Next 10 games look tough.
    If we get 10-12 points from them then we will have done reasonably well

Quote Originally Posted by William Treseder View Post
    I've been a City fan for 53 yrs, so there's no way I'll be getting carried away. I'm just playing devils advocat. We've never won our 1st 3 league games in our history, and we've played some exciting stuff. Our squad suggests it will be a tall order to even finish in the play offs.. That's why I'm asking the question I am.
    Hey, as a city fan, if you can't get excited about times like these, when can you?

The question wasn't "will we go up?" It was "IF we do, would he go down as our best manager?"

Imho yes. In fact I'd go as far to say that he already is one of our best.

Blue in the Face

Quote Originally Posted by bluethrough View Post
    If that happened he would have to go down as the greatest rough diamond and turd polisher this club has ever had.

This. We've had our best ever league start. Let's just enjoy that and understand there are light years to go between now and May.

Quote Originally Posted by TH63 View Post
    The question wasn't "will we go up?" It was "IF we do, would he go down as our best manager?"

Imho yes. In fact I'd go as far to say that he already is one of our best.
    Fair enough. I just read the thread and ploughed in

I'm biased as I've wanted Warnock here for years, but even then I'd have to weigh it all up. Who knows how good Fred Stewart actually was? As with all era vs era queries, it's impossible to answer.

Quote Originally Posted by Lawnmower View Post
    Next 10 games look tough.
    If we get 10-12 points from them then we will have done reasonably well
    Nice to see you are being your usual optimistic self. 10-12 points from 30 is relegation form. After 3 games this season we have more points on the board than we did after 11 games last season. For goodness sake cheer up, you sound almost suicidal - what would you be like if we had lost the first 3.

Quote Originally Posted by dml1954 View Post
    Nice to see you are being your usual optimistic self. 10-12 points from 30 is relegation form. After 3 games this season we have more points on the board than we did after 11 games last season. For goodness sake cheer up, you sound almost suicidal - what would you be like if we had lost the first 3.
    To be fair mate, Lawnmower is the most optimistic City fan i have ever encountered. I couldn't even get him to admit that Russell Slade was shit!

Think you may have singled out the wrong poster here.

Wtf is this bollox?!

Quote Originally Posted by thehumblegringo View Post
    To be fair mate, Lawnmower is the most optimistic City fan i have ever encountered. I couldn't even get him to admit that Russell Slade was shit!
    I just felt he was doing OK under difficult circumstances.

In terms of the next 10 games, they are very tough. The fixture list this season looked lop sided with several of our toughest trips all coming in a bunch.

Honestly think we'll struggle to get much from Preston, Sunderland, Boro, Wolves, Birmingham , Fulham away.
    If we win 2 of those I'll be delighted, but wouldn't be surprised if we just win 1 and the odd draw.
    4 of those are in the top 8/10 sides in the division and the other 2 we rarely get much from.

The homes QPR I'd hope to win, but Leeds, Derby and Sheff Weds are all chasing promotion and in the top few sides last season, so it will be tough.

Of course I'm hoping to be pleasantly surprised.

After these 10 it should get a lot easier with 6 games late Oct early Nov which on paper look more winnable, before a tough looking early December

Sometimes it doesn't work out like this, easy fixtures turn out to be tough and vice versa, but we may we'll have to be patient for a while

Quote Originally Posted by Colonel Cærdiffi View Post
    Hey, as a city fan, if you can't get excited about times like these, when can you?
    👍

In terms of the next 10 games, they are very tough. The fixture list this season looked lop sided with several of our toughest trips all coming in a bunch.

Honestly think we'll struggle to get much from Preston, Sunderland, Boro, Wolves, Birmingham , Fulham away.
    If we win 2 of those I'll be delighted, but wouldn't be surprised if we just win 1 and the odd draw.
    4 of those are in the top 8/10 sides in the division and the other 2 we rarely get much from.

The homes QPR I'd hope to win, but Leeds, Derby and Sheff Weds are all chasing promotion and in the top few sides last season, so it will be tough.

After these 10 it should get a lot easier with 6 games late Oct early Nov which on paper look more winnable, before a tough looking early December

Sometimes it doesn't work out like this, easy fixtures turn out to be tough and vice versa, but we may we'll have to be patient for a while
    I don't think many would have put us ,Wolves and Ipswich top after the first 3 games. I'm sure many had Villa up there also.
    No easy games, but confidence is a great leveler .

I’ve learned that it never works like this mate. I used to reason like that in the days of Dave Jones but we would often beat the good sides then struggle to put the weaker sides to the sword.

Then came Malky with Peterborough etc.

I think it will suit us playing the better sides now more than ever. We are so quick and we are a counter attacking team. Personally i think we'll struggle more beating the weaker teams at home.

If 13 years in the Championship has taught us anything it should be to expect the unexpected. Its almost impossible to correctly predict 1 round of fixtures, let alone 10. Who would have thought the after 3 games Sheff Weds, Fulham and Villa would still be waiting for the first win? On paper they have some of the strongest teams in the division.

I think the trick is not to get too carried away with the wins, but don’t get too down when we lose because theres inevitably going to be ups and downs. That’s easier said than done though as we are all getting carried away with the terrific start However, I think that may cause an over reaction when we eventually suffer our first loss, which could very well be Saturday with the way Wolves have also started.

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    If 13 years in the Championship has taught us anything it should be to expect the unexpected. Its almost impossible to correctly predict 1 round of fixtures, let alone 10. Who would have thought the after 3 games Sheff Weds, Fulham and Villa would still be waiting for the first win? On paper they have some of the strongest teams in the division.

I think the trick is not to get too carried away with the wins, but don’t get too down when we lose because theres inevitably going to be ups and downs. That’s easier said than done though as we are all getting carried away with the terrific start However, I think that may cause an over reaction when we eventually suffer our first loss, which could very well be Saturday with the way Wolves have also started.
    We can certainly enjoy the moment but there's a long way to go.

Don't forget the Wurzels who were also flying at this stage last season!