+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bennett staying ??

Bennett staying ??

Social media reporting Bennett may be staying despite being offered more money ... fantastic statement if true.

Re: Bennett staying ??

I wonder if Tan was so impressed by the last game he saw that he just said to Warnock, "screw it, let's hang onto what we've got, get some more in too and really go for it".

I suspect Tan's view if a deal is good enough, he has confidence in Warnock being able to get a cheaper replacement.

Quote Originally Posted by Wokingbluebird View Post
    Social media reporting Bennett may be staying despite being offered more money ... fantastic statement if true.
    The statement itself is not fantastic... :coat:

The is what I was told earlier. Did not find it worth repeating on here though.

Pretty sure it's true.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post

Pretty sure it's true.

Is he waiting on news re: Zohore?

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post

Pretty sure it's true.

Apparently Bennett was training with the rest of the squad today which is a positive sign. If he does stay that will be a great endorsement of the CCFC team spirit

Quote Originally Posted by Wokingbluebird View Post
    That would be a hell of a statement of belief from Bennett given how well Fulham cam play too. That would show real confidence in the ability of the team to do something this season

He's a northern lad, kid on the way, perhaps he doesn't fancy an upheaval to London?

Fingers crossed

Was listening to Radio Wales earlier and Rob Phillips said that while Fulham were talking to Bennett he thought he wanted to stay.

https://mobile.twitter.com/JoeBennet...7Ctwgr%5Etweet

He will owe this guy a new shirt if he does leave!!!

Bennett has not even had talks with Fulham himself. He was reluctant but agent continued to see what was on offer.

A £2m release clause seems really low, so hopefully we can look renegotiate a new contract with him.

He needs to settle at a club, been moving around too often.

Quote Originally Posted by ccfcwelshlad View Post
    Bennett has not even had talks with Fulham himself. He was reluctant but agent continued to see what was on offer.

A £2m release clause seems really low, so hopefully we can look renegotiate a new contract with him.

He needs to settle at a club, been moving around too often.
    Regarding the size of the release clause Dan, I think we need to remember the circumstances under which we signed Bennett. A few weeks before he signed for us, he was due to go to Sheffield Wednesday until Villa pulled the plug on the deal because they didn't want one of their players to go to a "promotion rival", so the inference is clearly that it was okay for him to come here because we weren't considered a threat to Villa (who we finished above in the table ).

So, I think it's reasonable to assume that Bennett came here with the view that we were something of a stepping stone on his way to better things and he and his agent would have made a low release clause a pre condition of him coming here so that it would be easier for him to move on to those better things.

If Bennett really does want to stay here now in the face of interest from a side that many are tipping for promotion this season, then that's a terrific testimony to how much we moved on in the last year and, as you say, it would be great to see that contract renegotiated.

Not sure if true but the twitterverse and its rumours are suggesting he priced himself out of a move by asking for 32k a week.

I did that myself in a previous shitty job. My contract was coming to an end and I told them I'll only stay if they double my pay. Was a win-win for me. Thank god they thought I wasn't worth it. Then a fire-breathing dragon came and lectured me about greed.

True story.

Glad Bennett's staying.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Regarding the size of the release clause Dan, I think we need to remember the circumstances under which we signed Bennett. A few weeks before he signed for us, he was due to go to Sheffield Wednesday until Villa pulled the plug on the deal because they didn't want one of their players to go to a "promotion rival", so the inference is clearly that it was okay for him to come here because we weren't considered a threat to Villa (who we finished above in the table ).

So, I think it's reasonable to assume that Bennett came here with the view that we were something of a stepping stone on his way to better things and he and his agent would have made a low release clause a pre condition of him coming here so that it would be easier for him to move on to those better things.

If Bennett really does want to stay here now in the face of interest from a side that many are tipping for promotion this season, then that's a terrific testimony to how much we moved on in the last year and, as you say, it would be great to see that contract renegotiated.
    Absolutely, probably should have said low but understandable.

Things can change quickly, especially closer you get to the window. You'd hope that if it was going to happen though, it would have already happened by now. Hopefully Warnock can put it to bed this morning.

Quote Originally Posted by ccfcwelshlad View Post
    Absolutely, probably should have said low but understandable.

Things can change quickly, especially closer you get to the window. You'd hope that if it was going to happen though, it would have already happened by now. Hopefully Warnock can put it to bed this morning.
    As you say, as the transfer deadline draws closer clubs become desperate, normally due to a bad start to the season, so things can change quickly. However, what this does demonstrate on the back of Sean Morrison turning down the bumper contract on offer from Sheff Wednesday a few weeks previously, that our players are really buying into what our club is trying to achieve. I find it really refreshing that some of our players in this day and age are not being driven by money alone.

Quote Originally Posted by emjayblue View Post
    As you say, as the transfer deadline draws closer clubs become desperate, normally due to a bad start to the season, so things can change quickly. However, what this does demonstrate on the back of Sean Morrison turning down the bumper contract on offer from Sheff Wednesday a few weeks previously, that our players are really buying into what our club is trying to achieve. I find it really refreshing that some of our players in this day and age are not being driven by money alone.
    Completely agree with this. I couldn't imagine either Morrison or Bennett staying (assuming he does) under previous managers

Quote Originally Posted by Carl Dale's Mole View Post
    Not sure if true but the twitterverse and its rumours are suggesting he priced himself out of a move by asking for 32k a week.

I did that myself in a previous shitty job. My contract was coming to an end and I told them I'll only stay if they double my pay. Was a win-win for me. Thank god they thought I wasn't worth it. Then a fire-breathing dragon came and lectured me about greed.

True story.

Glad Bennett's staying.
    I saw a tweet suggesting that & it looked to be sour grapes from a Fulham fan who was hacked off that Bennett had turned them down.

At the end of the day Fulham would have got Bennett on the cheap due to the release clause in his contract so i'm pretty confident that they could have put together a financial package which was sufficient to tempt him if he had given any indication that he was keen to sign for them.

I know the game has gone mad but I dont believe for one second any fullback moving from one club to another in the championship will be demanding 32k a week!!!

Has it been confirmed that he is staying then?

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    Has it been confirmed that he is staying then?
    Not yet but it should become clearer shortly when Warnock has his pre-match press conference at 11am

Quote Originally Posted by Alfonso Perez View Post
    Not yet but it should become clearer shortly when Warnock has his pre-match press conference at 11am

Fingers crossed then

Warnock says Bennett is staying!

Great news.

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/f...nnett-13495330

I spoke to Joe yesterday and I’m pleased (he’s staying). It’s been difficult for him as he’s had all sorts thrown at him over the last few days and there was nothing we could do because once they met his clause, it was down to him to say yes or no. But like Morrison, Joe’s been playing well, he can see what we’re doing, his wife is 8 months pregnant and happy here, there’s a lot of plusses to stay here at the moment, it’s an exciting place. He was offered a very good contract but it speaks well of the lad and the club at moment about where we are when you turn that down. I put no pressure on him, it was down to him, he had the option. But he’s staying for less money he could have had, on his original contract with two years to go.

Warnock on Joe Bennett