+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Bennett staying ??

Re: Bennett staying ??

Bennett has just tweeted - "Just wanted to let the Cardiff fans know the rumours that I'm leaving are false. As are other rumours. I'm happy at the club..."

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    Warnock says Bennett is staying!

Great news.

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/f...nnett-13495330

I spoke to Joe yesterday and I’m pleased (he’s staying). It’s been difficult for him as he’s had all sorts thrown at him over the last few days and there was nothing we could do because once they met his clause, it was down to him to say yes or no. But like Morrison, Joe’s been playing well, he can see what we’re doing, his wife is 8 months pregnant and happy here, there’s a lot of plusses to stay here at the moment, it’s an exciting place. He was offered a very good contract but it speaks well of the lad and the club at moment about where we are when you turn that down. I put no pressure on him, it was down to him, he had the option. But he’s staying for less money he could have had, on his original contract with two years to go.

Warnock on Joe Bennett
    Well done Joe

Excellent news and will now become a fans favourite with this kind of commitment

On and Off the field you can't but be impressed with whats going on at the club

The decision to appoint Warnock is now becoming one of the best decisions this club has made in a long time - he has made a team that has pride in itself

Well done Mr Bennett. Just hope you don't have a shocker in the next few weeks or we will be reminded how fickle us fans can be.

Excellent news and a testimony how far the club has come under Warnock.

Joe is part of a growing band of our players who have shunned potentially more lucrative moves in the last few months which is great news & a really positive reflection of what is happening at our club at present.

Get in! Well happy with this news.

We need a Joe Bennett Statue. Get on it Arfur.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Regarding the size of the release clause Dan, I think we need to remember the circumstances under which we signed Bennett. A few weeks before he signed for us, he was due to go to Sheffield Wednesday until Villa pulled the plug on the deal because they didn't want one of their players to go to a "promotion rival", so the inference is clearly that it was okay for him to come here because we weren't considered a threat to Villa (who we finished above in the table ).

So, I think it's reasonable to assume that Bennett came here with the view that we were something of a stepping stone on his way to better things and he and his agent would have made a low release clause a pre condition of him coming here so that it would be easier for him to move on to those better things.

If Bennett really does want to stay here now in the face of interest from a side that many are tipping for promotion this season, then that's a terrific testimony to how much we moved on in the last year and, as you say, it would be great to see that contract renegotiated.
    That does make sense now , I do recall that now .

I think he is well rated in football , and does look comfortable with the ball at his feet , I can only see his value forcing its way upwards, hes a good attacking footballing full back , worth a penny or two these days , gosh its good to be a happy City fan again

According to a Fulham fan I know Bennett asked for £30k per week and they told him to do one.

I prefer our version. Glad he's staying.

Blue in the Face

Quote Originally Posted by Baloo View Post
    According to a Fulham fan I know Bennett asked for £30k per week and they told him to do one.

If that's the case, I'll be a bit nervous until deadline day has passed because his release clause has been advertised in the press now. Though 2m and 30k a week would probably put off most suitors.

Can't help feeling our squad is a bit lob sided at full back. I'm a fan of Jazz, but he's much better suited on the right. The way I see it, we have one left back and three right backs.

I agree. Warnock has also said so in a recent press conference. I hope we keep pursuing Bell despite keeping Bennett

Quote Originally Posted by Blue in the Face View Post
    If that's the case, I'll be a bit nervous until deadline day has passed because his release clause has been advertised in the press now. Though 2m and 30k a week would probably put off most suitors.

Can't help feeling our squad is a bit lob sided at full back. I'm a fan of Jazz, but he's much better suited on the right. The way I see it, we have one left back and three right backs.
    I'm not sure whether there's any substance to it. Just think it's funny the different spin clubs/fans put on it.

Quote Originally Posted by thehumblegringo View Post
    I agree. Warnock has also said so in a recent press conference. I hope we keep pursuing Bell despite keeping Bennett
    I wouldn't be surprised if we do a deal for someone like Bell in the next week or so. He is in the final year of his contract & is 24 in May so Fleetwood may decide to get some cash in now as opposed to getting nothing when his contract expires

I'm not sure whether there's any substance to it. Just think it's funny the different spin clubs/fans put on it.
    Sounds very much like sour grapes to me. Warnock said that they offered him more than we are paying him & he said no, seems pretty straight-forward to me.

Blue in the Face

Quote Originally Posted by thehumblegringo View Post
    I was hoping for the same. It would be ideal for the long term if we have up and comers understudying in all positions, which could be the case for the first time in ages/ever. Bennet staying could ironically help us in that transfer as we don't need to buy so much which should keep our bid low.

If we were to bring in Bell or an equivalent then I'd say Peltier is a luxury we can't afford. Unless Connely moves on and Peltier is considered a back up at CB. Or unless Neil intends on playing five at the back a lot this year, then extra bodies would be more justified.

We really need to move some players out now. Think other clubs know that so they're probably waiting for the brinkmanship of deadline day. Can't see us getting fees for anyone really. Not for Noone/Pilks anyway.

My view - They trigger the release fee, Bennett wants to stay, but has to go through the motions, tells his agent if they offer silly money he'll think about it, they don't, he stays.

Quote Originally Posted by TH63 View Post
    My view - They trigger the release fee, Bennett wants to stay, but has to go through the motions, tells his agent if they offer silly money he'll think about it, they don't, he stays.
    Sounds plausible dunnit. No harm in finding out what they're prepared to offer.

Sounds plausible dunnit. No harm in finding out what they're prepared to offer.
    I guess. I mean I'm happy in my job and not looking to move, so if a headhunter came after me, I'd probably say I'm not interested, but if they offer me X .... Headhunters, greedy feckers like agents would no doubt take that to the potential employer. If someone's mug enough to offer me £30k a week, well that's a nice problem to have.

Fulham say "Come to us Joe, we're a bigger club than the City, we'll finish above them, we've got better fans, a better ground and you'll be in the Premier Division with us way before you would with Cardiff". Joe says "Pay me thirty odd grand a week", Fulham say, "You're in cloud cuckoo land son", Joe replies, " Well you frigging started it".

There is a lot that goes on behind the scenes I always felt that Joe didn't want to leave. His tweet says it all ' rumours of me leaving are false and so are other rumours I am happy at the club' so do one Fulham and thank you Joe. This season is going to be a special one.

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    Fulham say "Come to us Joe, we're a bigger club than the City, we'll finish above them, we've got better fans, a better ground and you'll be in the Premier Division with us way before you would with Cardiff". Joe says "Pay me thirty odd grand a week", Fulham say, "You're in cloud cuckoo land son", Joe replies, " Well you frigging started it".
    Warnock in his interview revealed Bennett's wife is 8 months pregnant. I'd suggest that a) Bennett like most players under Warnock would want to stay because of Warnock and b) didn't want to be away from / move missus that late in pregnancy.

Quote Originally Posted by TH63 View Post
    Pretty much it.

If it meant we'd be in the market looking for a good replacement then I'm all for it. Bennett is just Malone mk2 (that's really not a compliment).

Quote Originally Posted by Blooburd View Post
    If it meant we'd be in the market looking for a good replacement then I'm all for it. Bennett is just Malone mk2 (that's really not a compliment).
    Bennett is a class player.

Quote Originally Posted by Blooburd View Post
    I doubt whether many would agree with this view.