+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Homophobia in football

Re: Homophobia in football

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    Nah, that cant be true, theres a massive problem in football apparently. Homosexuals are often abused and beaten up down the CCS.
    True story.
    Back in the day, our student union president came out during a speech, and closed with the words "I suppose I'll get beaten up by the rugby team now" the got promptly hugged by all the female sociology students.

Talk about stereotyping!
    Needless to say, the rugby team, of which I was a member, couldn't give a shit and neither verbally or physically abused the guy. Ever.

My point is that while I'm sure there ARE some homophobic people about, I think there is a lot of paranoia amongst the LGBT community about what people's reactions to them may be. I also think there are a few attention seekers that go out of their way to provoke a reaction imho.

Quote Originally Posted by TH63 View Post
    True story.
    Back in the day, our student union president came out during a speech, and closed with the words "I suppose I'll get beaten up by the rugby team now" the got promptly hugged by all the female sociology students.

Talk about stereotyping!
    Needless to say, the rugby team, of which I was a member, couldn't give a shit and neither verbally or physically abused the guy. Ever.

My point is that while I'm sure there ARE some homophobic people about, I think there is a lot of paranoia amongst the LGBT community about what people's reactions to them may be. I also think there are a few attention seekers that go out of their way to provoke a reaction imho.
    I agree. I think some people are actually hoping for homophobic abuse to prove a point.

I can honestly say that down the CCS, apart from the pantomime "We can see you holding hands / Does your boyfriend know youre here" chants to Brighton ive never heard any homophobic abuse.

Somebody in another thread said I shouldn't be allowed to take my handbag to games

I have never been to a Brighton vs Cardiff game and not heard homophobic chanting, yes we are not at the stage where the whole crowd join in and its significant chanting, but there are decent sized pockets of fans that join in.

I remember a game at Ninian park where Matthew Taylor got abuse all game, that was clearly audible from the stands.

I think a football player today would get abuse from the terraces. Not on the Fashanu scale, but quite significant. If I was a player i would be thinking why would i need to subject myself to that.

here we go, this thread will be popular

Quote Originally Posted by Nelsonca61 View Post
    here we go, this thread will be popular
    Not sure why!
    I've met homosexuals transexuals asexuals metrosexuals etc etc
    Some were funny some were boring, some were meh some i liked, some i didn't.
    People are people. What they do in their bedroom or what they have in-between their legs is their business.

They can't be to homophobic.. After all, they shower together a lot.. I bet there are a few soap bars being picked up to..
    Why they should need a group, I don't know 🤷*♀️

Do we have a group for African Asian English fat baldy lesbian people.
    Surely it would only be right to give these lovely people a voice ?