+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Homophobia in football

First Team Forest Green Bluebird's Avatar

Homophobia in football

BBC Report

Quite informative ... cannot remember the last time any sections of Cardiff fans gave abuse to Brighton supporters home or away.

Given that the majority of PL clubs now have LGBTQ fans groups, does a similar group exist at Cardiff?

Re: Homophobia in football

I dont know why they need such groups. If they dont want to be treated differently why do they insist on having their own seperate fan group?

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    I dont know why they need such groups. If they dont want to be treated differently why do they insist on having their own seperate fan group?
    I guess they don't need it, but they want it. Why would anyone be bothered by them having a group?

It does seem a bit odd. I'm pretty sure most gay people just go and sit/stand with the rest of us.

No need for special treatment. It's not like they have any special requirements like other groups of fans (kids, disabled, posh people) who have their own bit of the ground to themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
    I guess they don't need it, but they want it. Why would anyone be bothered by them having a group?
    Why would anyone want something they don't need?

I thought the article explained the value of these groups very well. If you don't believe fans (and players) are victims of homophobia, or think that attitudes and behaviours (the police and clubs as much as other fans) will change spontaneously, then maybe LGBT groups look like attention seeking. I don't think that is their purpose at all. This quote summed it up for me:

"You can't get to a point of being normal as a gay football fan if you are not visible. Ultimately, we want people to get bored of us."

Good point

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Lecter View Post
    Come on, that's a silly question. Take a look around your house, what do you need?

If you read the article, they've catalogued homophobic chants and instigated change to reduce them. There's no gay corner in the ground, it's not in anyone's face. They don't get reduced ticket prices. Its just forming some groups because football can be a pretty homophobic place. Cannot see why anyone's bothered, really can't.

I can remember our fans singing it at them at home about 2 years ago.

Then I laughed when that survey was released saying we didnt sing anything.

Come on, that's a silly question. Take a look around your house, what do you need?

If you read the article, they've catalogued homophobic chants and instigated change to reduce them. There's no gay corner in the ground, it's not in anyone's face. They don't get reduced ticket prices. Its just forming some groups because football can be a pretty homophobic place. Cannot see why anyone's bothered, really can't.
    I'm not bothered, I just don't really see the need for them to be singled out. I think football is quite reflective of society in general - years ago it was deemed ok to take the piss and be openly hostile to blacks, gays, women etc. But thankfully we've moved on from that stuff (in the main).

As for my house, point taken. However in my defence, my missus is the one who insists on buying all the tat like cushions, throws etc. - if it was up to me I'd just have a chair, telly, bed and fridge.

Quote Originally Posted by Forest Green Bluebird View Post
    What I meant to say was ... Good point, but if such fan groups (and footballers) remain anonymous then homophobic abuse will probably be more difficult to eradicate.

So if we had a fan group where only white, hetrosexual males could join would that be ok? You dont think people will be bothered?

I know of a gay Cardiff fan, followed City for years. He doesnt feel the need to wear a pink top, rainbow laces, or shout it from the rooftops, he just goes to watch the game. At the end of the day people are going to watch a game of football not flaunt their sexuality.

And no I didnt read the article, youve read one, youve read them all. Last one I read some hetrosexual Newcastle fan had started a crowd funding page for a rainbow flag in the Gallowgate. Just stank of attention seeking, trying prove how liberal he was.

Quote Originally Posted by Forest Green Bluebird View Post
    What I meant to say was ... Good point, but if such fan groups (and footballers) remain anonymous then homophobic abuse will probably be more difficult to eradicate.
    Why are people so hell bent (no pun intended) on wanting a gay footballer? Its like people are desperate for a player to come out of the closet.

So if we had a fan group where only white, hetrosexual males could join would that be ok? You dont think people will be bothered?

I know of a gay Cardiff fan, followed City for years. He doesnt feel the need to wear a pink top, rainbow laces, or shout it from the rooftops, he just goes to watch the game. At the end of the day people are going to watch a game of football not flaunt their sexuality.

And no I didnt read the article, youve read one, youve read them all. Last one I read some hetrosexual Newcastle fan had started a crowd funding page for a rainbow flag in the Gallowgate. Just stank of attention seeking, trying prove how liberal he was.
    Do they only accept gay/lesbian people in the groups? I actually doubt it.

Blog Entries

If we knew that we could answer the age old question of why Women have so many handbags.

I'm not bothered, I just don't really see the need for them to be singled out. I think football is quite reflective of society in general - years ago it was deemed ok to take the piss and be openly hostile to blacks, gays, women etc. But thankfully we've moved on from that stuff (in the main).
    Why must everyone be divided? I think there is more chance of chants or comments towards people who separate themselves than if they don't tbh.

Do they only accept gay/lesbian people in the groups? I actually doubt it.
    Bi sexuals and Transgenders too. They will probably need to change the name to add in Gender Fluidity soon as well seeing as that seems to be the latest fad in the gay community.

We can't build an united society with separate groups.

Imagine the CCS being segregated into groups based on sexuality, race, religion etc.

It's daft. We're football fans and we're all in it together, regardless of our who we are individually.

Quote Originally Posted by B. Oddie View Post
    We can't build an united society with separate groups.

Imagine the CCS being segregated into groups based on sexuality, race, religion etc.

It's daft. We're football fans and we're all in it together, regardless of our who we are individually.
    Don't worry, that's not being suggested by anyone.

So they can be themselves with out facing scrutiny, judgement and abuse would be my guess. It's just a supporters group, they still all go to the same games.

Isn't the group trying to get equal treatment rather than special treatment? There is a lot of homophobia in football just because you have one gay mate who doesn't mind it, it doesn't mean everyone is happy with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Croesy Blue View Post
    Isn't the group trying to get equal treatment rather than special treatment? There is a lot of homophobia in football just because you have one gay mate who doesn't mind it, it doesn't mean everyone is happy with it.
    He knows OF a gay fan.

To be fair, I can't remember the last time I heard any racist or homophobic chanting, or even conversations at the CCS

Quote Originally Posted by TH63 View Post
    To be fair, I can't remember the last time I heard any racist or homophobic chanting, or even conversations at the CCS
    Nah, that cant be true, theres a massive problem in football apparently. Homosexuals are often abused and beaten up down the CCS.

Quote Originally Posted by Croesy Blue View Post
    Where did I say he doesnt mind homophobia?

Thank God this isn't a cricket forum, Middlesex would cause mayhem!