+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: What i like most about Warnock and co

What i like most about Warnock and co

Is that they still see the merit in the old art of developing players.

This skill of buying a player who is a bit raw and making them into a better player seems to be disappearing in today's football. Everyone wants ready made players.

I can't remember the last manager we had who would actually improve a player. Dave Jones would often buy under achieving players and get the best out of their attitude so to speak but Warnock, Blackwell and Jepson have actually worked on players to make them better.

Ralls, Gunnarsson, Zohore, Bennett, Harris, are all players that have become better players through coaching under Warnock in my opinion.

Mendez-Laing and Bogle are players we have signed with this in mind too.

Re: What i like most about Warnock and co

I must admit that when Warnock committed to this season with us & was talking about it being one of his last opportunities for promotion I half expected his signings to be dominated by experienced players who were at/near their back end of their careers. Whereas Malky spent £8.5m on a 'project' & paid him £45k per week, Warnock has been picking up 'projects' like Mendez-Laing & Damour for free & I would guess comparatively low wages. No wonder Tan has been full of praise with his transfer activity & maybe part of the reason why he continues to have a pop at Malky is because Warnock is showing him exactly how to obtain value from a very volatile market.

I am glad that you mentioned Blackwell & Jepson as they do a lot of good work in the background whilst Warnock gets all of the plaudits. Jepson in particular has been a big influence on Zohore & continues to be so. I would like to add Andy Dibble to that list as he was responsible for bringing Etheridge to the club & has been doing good work with him too.

Well said gringo it is so much more satisfying when a player is scouted and developed or come from our youth.
    I hope Warnock & co stay with us for many years to come.

Quote Originally Posted by thehumblegringo View Post

This skill of buying a player who is a bit raw and making them into a better player seems to be disappearing in today's football. Everyone wants ready made players.

I can't remember the last manager we had who would actually improve a player. Dave Jones would often buy under achieving players and get the best out of their attitude so to speak but Warnock, Blackwell and Jepson have actually worked on players to make them better.

Ralls, Gunnarsson, Zohore, Bennett, Harris, are all players that have become better players through coaching under Warnock in my opinion.

Excellent post. Warnock & his team are really doing a superb job in identifying talent and developing it. Some of these players bought for next to nothing could soon be worth many millions to the club.

An example to all football clubs.

There are so many teams (and owners who want immediate return on their spending) spending big money on players who only sometimes improve their sides that it is really pleasing to go a different way and have success in that.

Great post.
    Very refreshing to see and a complete reverse of our previous knack of signing decent players and making them shit.

Quote Originally Posted by TH63 View Post
    Great post.:
    Very refreshing to see and a complete reverse of our previous knack of signing decent players and making them shit.
    Well said TH63, you are one of our favourite posters on here and long may it continue.

Excellent post

What is also important, is when the likes of NML and others go through a baron patch, the fans stay with them and don't give them too much stick.

I think its a simple matter we now have a proven manager who has done and seen it , knows where the hidden gems are buried, able to rejuvenate lost souls , so much better than our last batch of managers after DJ.

You are 100% Correct.
    The Art appears to be old hat now, due to the money that is in the sport?

Blue in the Face

WoL should do a profile on Blackwell, Jepson and Dibble on a slow news day. I was going ask the board of all wisdom what they knew about Jepson because I know nothing about him.

It seems we've nabbed Warnock at the prime moment. He is possibly in the zenith of his career now, able to draw from his wealth of experience, while he seems to have, somehow, a heightened hunger, possibly from knowing he only has so much time in the game left. He comes across as pretty serene these days and seems to appreciate what he has. This has meant he's blown his magic fairy dust on what was otherwise a miserable descending entity in Cardiff City.

On the footballing front, NW is an unpretentious manager who plays unpretentious football. With some many teams "trying to play football the right way" (and other cliches), so many of them are there for the taking. The more teams that want to play slow building possession football against us (and leave space in behind) the better. I reckon this obsession with trying to import continental football and players into the championship will die off a little now, though possibly not completely. And whoever told Neves that this was the league he needed to join to further his career should never be allowed inside a football stadium again.

The test for us will come after we lose. Under Mackay in his promotion year, he was able to motivate the team back to winning ways pretty quickly after losses. I always thought this was one of DJ's great flaws, in that we would go on long winning streaks, but long losing streaks too. It's important the fans remember to stick by the team and manager as we've got an unusually magic mix it seems this year. We've struck oil in the transfer market this window. Usually one or two signings come off, but it looks as though everything Neil has the Midas touch this window.

Good times.

It's always made me mad listening to the bollox of play the right way'

Football is at its best played at speed with players who can beat a man and can hit first time 30 yard passes. Wingers who get to the byline , dominant centre halfs and tough tackling midfielders and full backs.

What we are producing is exciting, full of passion and skill and teamwork.
    We have a manager and coaches who have a clear plan and inspire confidence. They are also complete football people and excellent man managers and motivators.
    Every player is doing his bit and I'm loving every minute of it.

Banned

It don't look like the youngsters are going to play much part in this campaign.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I4-vYpBpu6g

Are we all happy with that?

Quote Originally Posted by Lawnmower View Post

Football is at its best played at speed with players who can beat a man and can hit first time 30 yard passes. Wingers who get to the byline , dominant centre halfs and tough tackling midfielders and full backs.

We have a manager and coaches who have a clear plan and inspire confidence. They are also complete football people and excellent man managers and motivators.
    This all day long.So happy and proud

And there was Ole Gunnar Solskjaer who actually coached the players to become worse

I disagree with the sentiment of your post as the "total football" that was built by Cruyff and co is still my view of the beautiful game but i will agree with you that I'm loving every minute down the City at the moment.

Good post.

I have always thought that the true measure of a really good football manager is improving a player/players and getting them to fulfill or surpass their potential, an extreme example being Brian Clough (every club that he went to bar Brighton and Leeds!) and to a much lesser extent Ranieri at Leicester. Making players constistently play at a level that I suspect even they thought was unattainable.

I am not comparing Colin to either of these two of course (:-o), but like Dave Jones he seems to be able to get more from certain players (Jones had no option as we were skint at the time) and improve them in ways that other managers have been unable to.

That to me is an incredibly hard job as opposed to buying a collection of decent players and getting them to win games.

Quote Originally Posted by Tandy View Post
    It don't look like the youngsters are going to play much part in this campaign.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I4-vYpBpu6g

Are we all happy with that?
    He did give that impression in the one sentence regarding the striking position.
    The way we are setting up at the moment, I don't see Mark Harris or Rhys Healey fitting in. He is looking for a big CF as a foil for the rest of the side which is why he has got a similar player in stature to Big Ken in Bogle.

That said, injuries can dictate the style and the aforementioned, others too if good enough, could still get their chance.

I trust NWs judgement, and not just because we are too of the league with maximum points.
    The guy knows how to play this game and this division in particular so.... It's a yes from me

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby Dandruff View Post
    Good post.

I have always thought that the true measure of a really good football manager is improving a player/players and getting them to fulfill or surpass their potential, an extreme example being Brian Clough (every club that he went to bar Brighton and Leeds!) and to a much lesser extent Ranieri at Leicester. Making players constistently play at a level that I suspect even they thought was unattainable.

I am not comparing Colin to either of these two of course (:-o), but like Dave Jones he seems to be able to get more from certain players (Jones had no option as we were skint at the time) and improve them in ways that other managers have been unable to.

That to me is an incredibly hard job as opposed to buying a collection of decent players and getting them to win games.
    Colin? Colin?????