+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: Are we REALLY as physical as other fans and managers are making out?

Are we REALLY as physical as other fans and managers are making out?

Wolves fans (poor lambs) saying their team was out-muscled by our typical, nasty, physical Warlock team. Villa supporters bleated the same thing a week ago.

I saw several Villa bodies on the pitch - especially during the first half,when there was four minutes of injury time, but didn't see the pulling and checks that Wolves fans are complaining about. Compared with other teams, I'm not even sure we are big enough to bully, what with our with our fullbacks and Damour in the line-up. That Bamba is a MONSTER, mind!

Re: Are we REALLY as physical as other fans and managers are making out?

I do think we were a little more physical yesterday but still wouldn't classify us as an overly physical team considering the great attacking football we've been playing. They were moaning about everything yesterday though. There were ten handballs according to their lot.

I think we are physically a big side and Warnock will not put up with players not giving 100%, however we aren't any dirtier than anyone else.

Wolves committed more fouls than us yesterday and we've not had many bookings or sendings off this season or last.

Just looks like sour grapes, or maybe more kindly the same sort of bias that myself and many others have when we lose and it seems decisions have gone against us 😉

Wolves and Villa fans are yet to realise that they both have teams full of diving cheats, and last season both teams had more red and yellow cards than us

The simple answer is that most opposition fans cannot handle the fact that little old Cardiff completely outplayed their own teams.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclops View Post
    Wolves fans (poor lambs) saying their team was out-muscled by our typical, nasty, physical Warlock team. Villa supporters bleated the same thing a week ago.

I saw several Villa bodies on the pitch - especially during the first half,when there was four minutes of injury time, but didn't see the pulling and checks that Wolves fans are complaining about. Compared with other teams, I'm not even sure we are big enough to bully, what with our with our fullbacks and Damour in the line-up. That Bamba is a MONSTER, mind!
    No we are not.
    Our players are asserting themselves and putting their opponents under pressure.

I just think we go in for the tackle a lot earlier than other teams. No holding off and jockeying the player.

Putting bodies in the way of runners , being strong , not simply moving out of the way.

All within the rules.

Quote Originally Posted by Llanedeyrnblue View Post
    Wolves and Villa fans are yet to realise that they both have teams full of diving cheats, and last season both teams had more red and yellow cards than us
    Yeah, but that's because incompetent refs always favour us, see.

Two words....

Kevin Muscat

The new guys are certainly big and strong.
    NW also plays a pressing game where teams aren't given time to turn or time on the ball.
    One of the links on the wolves forum had the one guy saying that we didn't allow them to play their game and kept fouling, niggling fouls which don't allow teams to settle.

When you are a good footballing side (not saying wolves are mind) this is very frustrating for the team and crowd so I suspect they are using the term "physical" in a slightly different way.

Referees can choose to stamp it out early or let it slide. I am guessing yesterday was the latter.

Just a footnote, to play the pressing game you need to be physically strong and fit.
    We certainly seem to be this

I don't think so.

My Dad always used to say that other teams looked bigger than us and seemed to out muscle us, but Championship football now is such a physical game. In fairness, the squad look really fit (most of them are animals - have you SEEN Zohore and NML!!) and use that to their advantage.

This is a trait of teams that Colin has managed and is absolutely essential if you want to do well in The Championship. I certainly don't think that we are overly physical but the team do not back down or shirk a challenge just like all teams should.

As for the Wolves manager complaining yesterday: that was just embarrassing. He needs to manage few more games in the Championship before making such naive comments. He has made himself look rather foolish.

And the ref yesterday didn't help by being overly fussy, but with both sides.

Are we a dirty team - no way. Are we a committed team - definitely. As has been pointed out on this thread we are a big, strong & very fit team & Warnock will not accept any player giving less than 100% when he crosses that white line.

The bleating of the Wolves manager is music to my ears as all he is doing is giving other teams a good idea of how to beat his expensively assembled team. What does he expect, teams to merely stand off his players & allow them to dictate the game? Welcome to the Championship Nuno as that's not how it works around here pal.

Looking at that Wolves forum they seem to think that they are going to walk this league but I think that they are deluded. I couldn't give a gnat's chuff how much they have paid for certain players as I cannot see a team dominated by so many non-British players coping easily with the demands of the Championship. They proved yesterday that they were not up for the battle against a committed team & they will get more of the same when the play the likes of Sheffield United, Barnsley, Ipswich, QPR etc.

I used to love it when my ppponent started moaning about me being over physical with him.
    You know you were half way there already then.

And when I came up against someone who was the same/ worse I just kept my mouth shut and continued the battle until I worked out a way to deal with it, or in some cases until the ref blew up and put me out of my misery 😂

Whinging is the worst thing you can do and beside anything else it's unedifying - especially coming from the manager

If we were 'overly physical' our players would be picking up more knocks also.
    If we enjoy a physical style so be it. Live with it, if you can ;)

Said yesterday, we have a team of proper hard b*stards. Every single one of our players is a proper warrior and willing to put their body on the line, which I guess is a typical Warnock team. Don't think we step over the line though, our discplinary record is generally quite good.

The team is extremely powerful, which is a very different thing to what is being suggested by the Wolves supporters.

I find it funny that the fans of two of the "favourites" for the league (Villa + Wolves) say that we're overly physical and dirty.
    Yet Burton, Sheff Utd and Pompey fans accepted defeat by the better side who wanted it more and created the better chances.
    Funny that.

Needless to say, Sheff Utd have been the best team we've played so far this season and that was only after we scored our 2nd goal and took our foot off the gas.

For every mention of "physical" on that Wolves forum insert "committed".
    We now have some physically big players & are a very fit team & committed in the tackle.
    Players like, Zohore, NML & Bamba are just very difficult to get off the ball due to their size & athleticism.
    I do not see us as being overly physical at all just that opposition players are more than likely going to come off second best in a challenge to a lot of our players.
    We are nowhere near being thugs & cheats as some opposition has stated.
    I have often seen Cardiff "out muscled" before but doubt that that is going to happen very often this season

Towels on the side for launched long throws.
    Leaving your foot in on challenges.
    Cynical time wasting.
    Launched long ball after long ball.
    Elbowing.
    Shoulder charging.
    20-30% possession every game.

Yeah you must be right and EVERYONE else over a decade must be wrong about Warnock's teams.
    They really aren't cynical dirty sides at all.....

Quote Originally Posted by Jursset_BrisCity View Post
    Towels on the side for launched long throws.
    Leaving your foot in on challenges.
    Cynical time wasting.
    Launched long ball after long ball.
    Elbowing.
    Shoulder charging.
    20-30% possession every game.

Yeah you must be right and EVERYONE else over a decade must be wrong about Warnock's teams.
    More shots on goal than our opposition in each game
    More clear cut chances created to score in each game so far
    3 clean sheets out of 4 games
    Top of the league after winning every game

Quote Originally Posted by The Bob Banker Spanker View Post
    More shots on goal than our opposition in each game
    More clear cut chances created to score in each game so far
    3 clean sheets out of 4 games
    Top of the league after winning every game
    And in every report I've read the opposition have said what a horrible, cynical dirty side you are.
    With Warnock in charge I am shocked, I really am....

Towels on the side for launched long throws. perfectly acceptable
    Leaving your foot in on challenges. Refs would penalise us if we did, we had one of the best disciplinary records last season.
    Cynical time wasting. We use the same tactics as any other side minus the rolling around feigning injury
    Launched long ball after long ball. That's not our game. If you watch us you'd realise.
    Elbowing. Refs would penalise us if we did, we had one of the best disciplinary records last season.
    Shoulder charging. As above
    20-30% possession every game. As mentioned on other threads the possession stat is no longer based on time on the ball but ineffective tippy-toppy passes that don't harm the opposition.

You'll realise you are wrong when the sides meet later in the season.

And in every report I've read the opposition have said what a horrible, cynical dirty side you are.
    I challenge you to link to one report that claims we are a horrible cynical dirty side.

Apart from Sheff Utd, Burton and Pompey you mean? Who accepted they were beaten by the better side.
    Only Villa (Who we should've beaten 7-0 and they couldn't complain) and Wolves fans have cried like babies after we beat them.
    Funny how Steve Bruce didn't moan about the way we played and accepted defeat.