+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: The New Boys Set The Tempo

The New Boys Set The Tempo

The one thing that Mendez, Damour and Tomlin have in common is there directness. In the case of Damour and Tomlin, it's carried out in a more calculated and slightly sophisticated way, that isn't a criticism of Mendez, it's just that in my opinion he is more instinctive than the other two, creating that half a yard and hitting the ball early-a joy to watch.

My point is that because these lads play on the front foot, it seems to have rejuvenated Ralls and Gunnar, and I think that we've definitely witnessed them showing that bit more urgency to win the ball back and get the ball moving quickly, the way that they play his filtered through the midfield and it's certainly showing.

On another note-Sean Morrison-he's been outstanding, last season I thought he did very well under Warnock, yet there still seems to be supporters (around me anyway) who like to jump on him for any little mistake, even if the previous ten things he did were spot on. Sol Bamba can be a bit reckless at times, and Bruno, yet the latter has his name sang out by the fans. I've never understood the Criticism he gets, a very good defender first and foremost, and i'd bet that any club in this division would love to have him-he should be shown a bit more love! Anyway, what a start-fecking brilliant!

Re: The New Boys Set The Tempo

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    The one thing that Mendez, Damour and Tomlin have in common is there directness. In the case of Damour and Tomlin, it's carried out in a more calculated and slightly sophisticated way, that isn't a criticism of Mendez, it's just that in my opinion he is more instinctive than the other two, creating that half a yard and hitting the ball early-a joy to watch.

My point is that because these lads play on the front foot, it seems to have rejuvenated Ralls and Gunnar, and I think that we've definitely witnessed them showing that bit more urgency to win the ball back and get the ball moving quickly, the way that they play his filtered through the midfield and it's certainly showing.

On another note-Sean Morrison-he's been outstanding, last season I thought he did very well under Warnock, yet there still seems to be supporters (around me anyway) who like to jump on him for any little mistake, even if the previous ten things he did were spot on. Sol Bamba can be a bit reckless at times, and Bruno, yet the latter has his name sang out by the fans. I've never understood the Criticism he gets, a very good defender first and foremost, and i'd bet that any club in this division would love to have him-he should be shown a bit more love! Anyway, what a start-fecking brilliant!
    Good post. We've signed eight players this summer, one hasn't played yet because he's not been here long and two have been missing through injury, but the outstanding thing for me is that none of the five who have played look like a poor signing, when, normally, if you get three good ones out of five, you think you've done well.

Agree about Morrison, but, then again, I've never really understood the criticism he gets - not knocking Bamba who is such an influence on the team, but I'd say Morrison has been the more reliable of the two this season.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Good post. We've signed eight players this summer, one hasn't played yet because he's not been here long and two have been missing through injury, but the outstanding thing for me is that none of the five who have played look like a poor signing, when, normally, if you get three good ones out of five, you think you've done well.

Agree about Morrison, but, then again, I've never really understood the criticism he gets - not knocking Bamba who is such an influence on the team, but I'd say Morrison has been the more reliable of the two this season.
    Morrison is looking more assured and confident, I think that he's 'Warnock's Man' and it's lifted him.

Tomlin hasn't stolen the headlines as much as Darmour and NML just yet but, unless plans are disrupted by a police charge, I foresee this changing as teams work out how to stop NML.

Yeah, they all look like really good signings so far.
    It is still very early days though, else have had a few over the years who look great for a couple of games then disappear into the mists of mediocrity.
    Olofinjana?

I think you raise some good points bit another reason is definitely because Warnock has had a pre season.

Ralls and Gunnarsson look completely different. They both looked bigger, quicker and stronger than the Wolves players yesterday and that's got to be down to strength and conditioning.

Quote Originally Posted by thehumblegringo View Post
    I think you raise some good points bit another reason is definitely because Warnock has had a pre season.

Ralls and Gunnarsson look completely different. They both looked bigger, quicker and stronger than the Wolves players yesterday and that's got to be down to strength and conditioning.
    I agree Gringo about the the impact of conditioning and fitness on the squad.
    However, I think the intended game paln is explicit to the whole squad. It is high tempo football, played on the front foot, at pace, with the intention of being a direct threat to the oppositions goal as quickky as possible. The OP is absolutely right in identifying the new signings as indicating this intent.

Damour as been a breath of fresh air, high energy, a ruthless desire to make an impact, he wants to be a constant threat and thorn to the opposition. Mendez-Laing is so instinctive, he is driving at the opposition at every opportunity, full of pace and no little trickery.

Ralls and Gunnarsson have flourished in the style of play, no respite for the opposition when they are on the ball. Take the game to the opposition, get he ball forward early, with accuracy and with a tempo.

When opponents are on the back foot, both players have the time to take the game to them on the front foot. The front three need the ball early to maximise their superior pace and power.

I thought we took control for most of the second half yesterday when Zohore began to run the channels pinning their two wide centre backs into defensive positions. They could not cope with him. Ralls revelled in the space as he pushed them backwards.

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    Yeah, they all look like really good signings so far.
    It is still very early days though, else have had a few over the years who look great for a couple of games then disappear into the mists of mediocrity.
    Olofinjana?
    Drinkwater. Thought he looked good when we had a good start a few years back but got injured and never seen him again!