+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: xG for our games this season

xG for our games this season

2017-08-12-cardiff-aston-villa.jpg
    2017-08-15-cardiff-sheff-utd.jpg2017-08-19-wolves-cardiff.jpg

These numbers seem to agree with the general assertion that we have been good value for all of our results so far (can't find the Burton one)

Looking at combined values for the entire league...
    IMG_20170821_090335.jpg

Suggests that not only have we got the best results so far in the league, but we have performed the best also ( although based off so few games this will be very erratic until more data points go in)

Millwall and Ipswich look unusual on there, it suggests that Millwall have played really well but lost and Ipswich haven't been anything special yet have won every game.
    When you consider that Ipswich have had 11 shots on target all season, and have scored 9 of those, it does seem as though Ipswich's good start isn't sustainable.

A look back at the success of this guy's xG model at correlating with league position is here..
    Not bad really considering there is a lot less data to play with outside of the premier league.

LinearRemorsefulIndianpangolin-size_restricted.jpg
    https://thumbs.gfycat.com/LinearRemo...restricted.gif

Well I thought it was interesting anyway

Re: xG for our games this season

What in gods name is all this gobbledegook. If ever there was a case for over analysing a basically very simple game, this is it. Put the ball in the opposition net and keep it out of your own is the only analysis that I agree with.

Quote Originally Posted by dml1954 View Post
    What in gods name is all this gobbledegook. If ever there was a case for over analysing a basically very simple game, this is it. Put the ball in the opposition net and keep it out of your own is the only analysis that I agree with.
    Now that is a groundbreaking analysis. How on Earth all these statisticians haven’t picked up on it is unbelievable

Quote Originally Posted by Cleve van Leef View Post
    Now that is a groundbreaking analysis. How on Earth all these statisticians haven’t picked up on it is unbelievable
    My thoughts entirely. Nice that we agree on this.

Quote Originally Posted by dml1954 View Post
    For once I agree with Buster

i can make about as much sense of that as I can of Itunes.

Luddites the lot of you

I think I've worked out that we've scored more goals than the opposition in each match.

Ipswich look like one of the worst teams

Quote Originally Posted by BlueArmy 86 View Post
    Ipswich look like one of the worst teams
    The bookies obviously agree with it, as they've priced Ipswich at over 2/1 to make it 5 wins from 5, against the Fulham team who haven't managed a win yet this season (Fulham favourites to win, at just above evens).

2017-08-26-cardiff-qpr.jpg
    Updated for our latest match.

IMG_20170827_183652.jpg

Also the 20 best attackers according to goals per 90 / xG per 90.

Still only a few games to judge by, so there are some people currently hugely outperforming their xG who you would expect to drop off at some point, while Zohore is looking dangerous but not scoring many yet, it seems to suggest that the goals will come though.

****ing hell how much time do you have on your hands

Quote Originally Posted by jamieccfc View Post
    ****ing hell how much time do you have on your hands
    Not my work

2017-09-09-fulham-cardiff.jpg

xG from the Fulham game. Very close game.
    Interestingly Fulham weren't that much more dangerous than the other teams we have faced in terms of expected goals, but they managed to really nullify our threat (in comparison with earlier games) .
    Hopefully that is just a result of a very tricky away game, rather than something specific that Fulham were doing to nullify us that other teams will be able to copy.

I think that the league table tells the full story..........