+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: US Navy ship and oil tanker collide near Singapore

US Navy ship and oil tanker collide near Singapore

"Ten US Navy sailors are missing and five have been injured after a US destroyer and an oil tanker collided near Singapore, the Navy says.

The guided missile destroyer USS John S McCain was sailing east of Singapore and preparing to stop in the port when the collision with the Liberian-flagged vessel occurred."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-40995829

Re: US Navy ship and oil tanker collide near Singapore

You have to wonder how that happens... eh..

Quote Originally Posted by Sgt. Pepper View Post
    You have to wonder how that happens... eh..
    2nd collision in two months, 4th this year.

How do you not see an oil tanker coming?

Quote Originally Posted by TH63 View Post
    Those ships are stuffed with state of the art equipment and three senior officials were sacked after the crash a couple of months ago. So human error again? There'll be plenty of people involved with that vessel who are now shitting their pants.

Ten sailors in the sea

Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
    Those ships are stuffed with state of the art equipment and three senior officials were sacked after the crash a couple of months ago. So human error again? There'll be plenty of people involved with that vessel who are now shitting their pants.
    Kinda my point. If they can't spot a fecking oil tanker, how are they going to manage if Kim Jong Un presses the button on one of his missiles?

Kinda my point. If they can't spot a fecking oil tanker, how are they going to manage if Kim Jong Un presses the button on one of his missiles?
    I'm sure somebody is going to ask if they are being deliberately targeted, but it's not going to be me!

On the pop

I did a week-long navigation course at Plymouth University and it was all about using a simulator and bringing a large vessel into port via a busy shipping lane. The major problem is not spotting other vessels in the vicinity but avoiding them when a collision can be predicted. It's like being involved in a car accident in very slow time. These large vessels can require a very long distance to stop and veering off in a different direction isn't straightforward either, especially in busy shipping lanes. They are extremely unwieldy and whoever is navigating has to anticipate events hours rather than minutes ahead.