+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

View Poll Results: Will you be tuning in?

Voters
40. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

14 35.00%
  • No

26 65.00%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: mcgregor v mayweather

Re: mcgregor v mayweather

Quote Originally Posted by sneggyblubird View Post
    Hyped like a wrestling match.In my time the bigger the hype the bigger the disappointment.It'll be something else in 12 months,the next biggest thing since time began.
    It will be choreographed like a wrestling match too

Quote Originally Posted by sneggyblubird View Post
    Hyped like a wrestling match.In my time the bigger the hype the bigger the disappointment.It'll be something else in 12 months,the next biggest thing since time began.
    Twelve months? I'd say a fortnight is more realistic.

Is what I hear about ringside seats costing $100,000 true? We live in strange, strange times. I'll go to sleep on Saturday night and probably learn what happened sometime around lunchtime on Sunday - not interested in this money making episode in the slightest. Great sport sells itself because of the sport, it doesn't need all of the increasingly common bollox beforehand to build it up - as you say, the bigger the hype, the bigger the disappointment.

Anyone else as gobsmacked as I am that Ali has been mentioned in the same breath as this pair?

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Twelve months? I'd say a fortnight is more realistic.

Is what I hear about ringside seats costing $100,000 true? We live in strange, strange times. I'll go to sleep on Saturday night and probably learn what happened sometime around lunchtime on Sunday - not interested in this money making episode in the slightest. Great sport sells itself because of the sport, it doesn't need all of the increasingly common bollox beforehand to build it up - as you say, the bigger the hype, the bigger the disappointment.
    The media always take prices from third parties like viagogo etc and say "this is what they're going for" "what an amazing price, what a spectacle, go buy the fight on TV".

It is an easy way to write some articles as well:

https://www.stubhub.com/floyd-maywea...nk=1&byo_qty=2

But that isn't what they are actually being sold for is it

With that money imagine how many champions leagues, world cup finals, season tickets to real madrid barca bayern etc you could get!

Quote Originally Posted by TH63 View Post
    Anyone else as gobsmacked as I am that Ali has been mentioned in the same breath as this pair?
    Well, Ali was the template for all of the crap we get in the build up to fights these days I suppose. However, although someone like Joe Frazier never really forgave him for some of the things that were said before their three fights, Ali's efforts to sell tickets for his fights tended to have a bit of wit and style about them and they did feel fresh and novel at the time - it's all so tired and formulaic these days.

Quote Originally Posted by Blooburd View Post
    yeah I hate entertainment in sports too! that Mohammad Ali was such an annoying sportsman!

why cant these fighters just queue up emotionlessly like snooker players do before a match huh!
    This fight will be more about the build up than the fight though. McGregor isn't a boxer, so Mayweather can box off the back foot and pick him off.

Ali, they are not.

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    So mugs like you will fork out the money to watch it.
    That's generally why people try to entertain...y'know to get people to watch them

I voted no to watching it, I don't pay that kind of money for potentially 10 or less minutes of entertainment but to each their own.

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro de la Rosa View Post
    This fight will be more about the build up than the fight though. McGregor isn't a boxer, so Mayweather can box off the back foot and pick him off.

Ali, they are not.
    I did not say either one of them were actually Mohammad Ali

Boxing is suffering because the biggest names avoid each other as they try to build up a record and try to talk their way into the biggest money deal. The fights then don't live up to the hype. Has it always been like this?

Mayweather and McGregor care more about money than the sport so don't be surprised to see McGregor throw in a UFC kick, get disqualified and set up round two.

Quote Originally Posted by surge View Post
    Boxing is suffering because the biggest names avoid each other as they try to build up a record and try to talk their way into the biggest money deal. The fights then don't live up to the hype. Has it always been like this?

Mayweather and McGregor care more about money than the sport so don't be surprised to see McGregor throw in a UFC kick, get disqualified and set up round two.
    If that kick is a surprise roundhouse to the head, id pay to see it

This farce has hit a new low. James fecking Cordon has turned up!!!!!

I ain't no idiot. Are there any streams?

Quote Originally Posted by Wales-Bales View Post
    I ain't no idiot. Are there any streams?
    haha my thoughts exactly

I have no interest in watching a pair of wankers be wankers, watched by wankers.

McGregor in the 3rd round.

Quote Originally Posted by Rocco Siffredi View Post
    If MacGregor loses his head, not literally, I can see him chucking in a few kicks and other illegal moves. Could be really funny.
    He won't as it's written into the contract that he will lose his entire purse with any MMA moves.

Quote Originally Posted by Spooky Tree View Post
    I have no interest in watching a pair of wankers be wankers, watched by wankers.
    Summed up my feelings perfectly.

Quote Originally Posted by Hilts View Post
    This farce has hit a new low. James fecking Cordon has turned up!!!!!
    Shame he wasn't in the ring. I'd pay good money to see him getting knocked out.

This is going 12 rounds because the longer it goes the more money mayweather makes it's a ****ing joke

Quote Originally Posted by jamieccfc View Post
    This is going 12 rounds because the longer it goes the more money mayweather makes it's a ****ing joke
    how does that work.

Quote Originally Posted by qccfc View Post
    how does that work.
    Someone on the radio the other day explaining the money he will make from the adverts between rounds so the longer the fight the more adverts =More wonga for that Kent, don't get me wrong he's a good boxer but nowhere near the level that's in his head

I'm in France when it's on, but if I were here I'd probably be splitting the £20 fee with a few mates, or going to bed early & waking up at 5am to watch a stream on my laptop in bed.

Just as an event it should be extremely interesting. All the pundits seem to have opinions, but the whole thing is an absolute unknown so they count for nothing.