+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Homophobic chanting (HC) the new arrestable offence at football.

Homophobic chanting (HC) the new arrestable offence at football.

With the news today that Leicester City fans have been arrested for HC at their recent home match with the Seagulls. Telegraph Sport bottom of page 5.

I am actually wondering what is allowed and what is not.

We all need a sense of humour surely.

With Racism we all know that Black is (properly used) okay but coloured and the N word are no longer acceptable EVER.

But HC is much harder to comprehend I think.
    For example ...what about....

Does your boyfriend know you're here? HC?
    We can see you holding hands? HC?

For me ... almost a pensioner ... the whole thing is becoming ridiculous.

Discuss. Without anything obviously homophobic.

Re: Homophobic chanting (HC) the new arrestable offence at football.

Both of your examples are clearly homophobic chants if it helps!

Eh, the new law is skewed in that it's missing intent.

"F*ck you you f*cking f*g" is clearly hatred based upon sexuality, hence an actionable homophobic comment.

Of those two examples in the original post, is there really hatred in there? Not defending those comments, I'd personally not make them but it seems to deal with what is a minor problem in the scheme of things they've used the equivalent of a nuclear bomb.

It's difficult to comprehend what is and isn't acceptable in today's society.

I read this morning that a guy who asked a girl for a kiss on a train has been accused of sexual assault!!!

There has to be gay footballers out there. There just has to be.

Because of the constant jokes about homosexuality they clearly stay well in the closet.

Yes there is no venom or hatred in them like the banana throwing of the 70s, but it's death by a million cuts.

The fact that so far the only gay footballer to come out was 30 odd years ago and ended up killing himself clearly highlights there is a problem here

Arrestible offence is a bit far. To be honest I don't think you should be arrested for anything you say unless it's threats to harm or planning harm

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    It's difficult to comprehend what is and isn't acceptable in today's society.

I read this morning that a guy who asked a girl for a kiss on a train has been accused of sexual assault!!!
    Nice one....where did he want her to kiss him?

I don't know how I feel about this to be honest.

Chanting at a known gay person is wrong, but chants at the Brighton fans is not aimed at anyone specifically. In a similar way, we don't really believe that jacks feast on dead rats.

People in their 50's/60's and 70's come from different times.

Some of the stuff on TV back in the 70's in particular, whilst didn't feel wrong at the time, in today's context would be beyond unacceptable.

It can be difficult for us oldies to keep up to date with what is and isn't acceptable, but we do have to evolve.

The constant , aggressive homophobic abuse dished out to Justin fashanu by our supporters down at Torquay when he played for them was a disgrace and made me ashamed , I always thought our fans were better than that but like feck we were .........thinking back does anyone remember the bananas thrown at the black man city goalkeeper Alex Jenkins ? ........from the canton stand .........it always makes me cringe when Cardiff fans deny there has ever been a racist element among our support ......wankers

Quote Originally Posted by TH63 View Post

Chanting at a known gay person is wrong, but chants at the Brighton fans is not aimed at anyone specifically. In a similar way, we don't really believe that jacks feast on dead rats.

Some of the stuff on TV back in the 70's in particular, whilst didn't feel wrong at the time, in today's context would be beyond unacceptable.

It can be difficult for us oldies to keep up to date with what is and isn't acceptable, but we do have to evolve.
    You will still hear racist abuse at Cardiff city games , we still have our fair share of arseholes , amazing really considering the Cosmopolitan nature of Cardiff as a city but it's there

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    The constant , aggressive homophobic abuse dished out to Justin fashanu by our supporters down at Torquay when he played for them was a disgrace and made me ashamed , I always thought our fans were better than that but like feck we were .........thinking back does anyone remember the bananas thrown at the black man city goalkeeper Alex Jenkins ? ........from the canton stand .........it always makes me cringe when Cardiff fans deny there has ever been a racist element among our support ......wankers
    Just block them all, that'll teach 'em!

We don't shag sheep either. Well I don't.

Couldn't disagree more, under this criteria that "Your just a town full of P*ki's" chant at Bradford fans would be deemed appropriate

You will still hear racist abuse at Cardiff city games , we still have our fair share of arseholes , amazing really considering the Cosmopolitan nature of Cardiff as a city but it's there
    Genuinely I don't hear it.
    But this could be a combination of poor hearing and sitting in the grandstand.

Not doubting you though and agree that I'd always felt Cardiff was one of the most racially integrated City's in the country.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve R View Post
    Just block them all, that'll teach 'em!
    Where to on broad Street is hafod house ?

Quote Originally Posted by Kitman View Post
    Couldn't disagree more, under this criteria that "Your just a town full of P*ki's" chant at Bradford fans would be deemed appropriate
    Fair point

This is worth a read on the subject.
    https://twitter.com/ChrisRWhiting/st...57650137927681

We sang that at both Bradford and Oldham fans , ****ing shameful , no wonder we have hardly any Asian fans despite a large Asian population on the doorstep of Cardiff city stadium

Where to on broad Street is hafod house ?
    The Care Home? It's where the Theatre Royal used to be.

HJ_HAFOD_3.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Steve R View Post
    The Care Home? It's where the Theatre Royal used to be.

HJ_HAFOD_3.jpg
    Cheers , I got a meeting there next week

Quote Originally Posted by tomm View Post
    This is worth a read on the subject.
    https://twitter.com/ChrisRWhiting/st...57650137927681
    That could answer a few questions raised in the 'why do we need a group for gay fans' thread.

There has to be gay footballers out there. There just has to be.

Because of the constant jokes about homosexuality they clearly stay well in the closet.

Yes there is no venom or hatred in them like the banana throwing of the 70s, but it's death by a million cuts.

The fact that so far the only gay footballer to come out was 30 odd years ago and ended up killing himself clearly highlights there is a problem here

Arrestible offence is a bit far. To be honest I don't think you should be arrested for anything you say unless it's threats to harm or planning harm

With regards to the whole fashanu thing, there seems to be a bit of history being rewritten these days.

I'm pretty sure his suicide followed him being arrested for the sexual assault of a 17 year old in USA. He fled back to England where he took his own life. His suicide note stated that he figured he wouldn't get a fair trial as he was gay.

I'm not saying he didn't suffer chants and abuse from the terraces but that wasn't the reason he killed himself.

How hard is it not to chant homophobic stuff? I don't think anyone would be arrested for the "we can see you holding hands" and "does your boyfriend know you're here" chants but even if they weren't offensive they stopped being funny about 10 years ago. Football fans really know how to beat a dead horse.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Lecter View Post
    With regards to the whole fashanu thing, there seems to be a bit of history being rewritten these days.

I'm pretty sure his suicide followed him being arrested for the sexual assault of a 17 year old in USA. He fled back to England where he took his own life. His suicide note stated that he figured he wouldn't get a fair trial as he was gay.

I'm not saying he didn't suffer chants and abuse from the terraces but that wasn't the reason he killed himself.
    His own manager (Brian Clough) gave him dogs abuse for it too, I'm sure the arrested contributed but people generally don't kill themselves for one reason.

Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
    That could answer a few questions raised in the 'why do we need a group for gay fans' thread.
    I know I'll get stick for this but I think as the majority of the board are straight, white men we struggle to understand how discrimination affects people. It's easy for us to say throwing a banana, or chanting "we can see you holding hands" is just harmless "banter" but if we were in their position we'd probably feel different.

Quote Originally Posted by Croesy Blue View Post
    How hard is it not to chant homophobic stuff? I don't think anyone would be arrested for the "we can see you holding hands" and "does your boyfriend know you're here" chants but even if they weren't offensive they stopped being funny about 10 years ago. Football fans really know how to beat a dead horse.
    Well positioned , its like Geoff Boycott, of the Jurassic age , a lot of clubs can and do come up with marvelous songs of humor,without upsetting people , IE " two not the sheep shaggers" is a great retort .