+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Six decades of games that are, mostly, not Cardiff City v Burton Albion.

Six decades of games that are, mostly, not Cardiff City v Burton Albion.

Re: Six decades of games that are, mostly, not Cardiff City v Burton Albion.

60's - Alistair Burns (I've got Alistair in my records, I think I found his name in a programme from that time.
    Will check when I next go up in my loft ! )

70's - Ken Jones. 80's - Peter Kitchen.

Quote Originally Posted by BINGE THINKING View Post
    60's - Alistair Burns (I've got Alistair in my records, I think I found his name in a programme from that time.

It was ALBERT Burns, played his only game in a League Cup 2nd replay against Reading in 63/4. He later went on to play for Barry Town for several years, and is shown in a Barry Town book I have playing for them from 70/1 -77/8. I have no idea where he played between leaving Cardiff and playing for Barry Town. The Alastair who played in the same game was Alastair Black, a full back, who played one League game in 62/3 as well. He was Scottish and went off to Worcester City.

Is the 90s one Morris Scott?

10s is City legend himself Martin John with his only appearance for us coming against Burton Albion in the league cup

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    00s Martyn Margetson?

Quote Originally Posted by BINGE THINKING View Post

Jones and Kitchen are correct - thanks to you and cardiff55 for the info on Burns.

This Wikipedia page has him down as Albert and says he is/was English.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1963%E...ty_F.C._season

Quote Originally Posted by cardiff55 View Post
    Is the 90s one Morris Scott?
    I can see why you went for him, but, no, it's not him.

Quote Originally Posted by Geraint! View Post
    10s is City legend himself Martin John with his only appearance for us coming against Burton Albion in the league cup
    Correct.

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro de la Rosa View Post
    00s Martyn Margetson?
    Yes, you're right.

It was ALBERT Burns, played his only game in a League Cup 2nd replay against Reading in 63/4. He later went on to play for Barry Town for several years, and is shown in a Barry Town book I have playing for them from 70/1 -77/8. I have no idea where he played between leaving Cardiff and playing for Barry Town. The Alastair who played in the same game was Alastair Black, a full back, who played one League game in 62/3 as well. He was Scottish and went off to Worcester City.
    I have played with Albie Burns as he is known at the golf club. Lovely man.

Quote Originally Posted by Cretin Hop View Post
    I have played with Albie Burns as he is known at the golf club. Lovely man.
    Can you find out where he went to, club wise, from City and before Barry Town please?

90s one I'm thinking Tony Kelly or Brian McGrory but don't think it was them as Kelly was on loan, and McGrory a midfielder.
    Maybe MarK Farrington but that was 85/6?

I'll stand corrected on Albert Burns - thanks for that. The other full back was Alistair Brack who played one league game at home to Middlesbrough in 1962.

90s one I'm thinking Tony Kelly or Brian McGrory but don't think it was them as Kelly was on loan, and McGrory a midfielder.
    Maybe MarK Farrington but that was 85/6?
    No, this bloke was with us after the players you mention.

90s Jamie Hughes . Came from Tranmere, scored 2 goals in 4 sub appearances then wen to Bangor and non league obscurity/

The link is that they all made their debuts for us in the League Cup (or is it full debuts? Grandin has Peter Kitchen coming on as a sub at Oldham a few days before his first League Cup game v Chelsea, not always reliable though).

90s Jamie Hughes . Came from Tranmere, scored 2 goals in 4 sub appearances then wen to Bangor and non league obscurity/
    They were two superb goals as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Loramski View Post
    The link is that they all made their debuts for us in the League Cup (or is it full debuts? Grandin has Peter Kitchen coming on as a sub at Oldham a few days before his first League Cup game v Chelsea, not always reliable though).
    I never use the Grandin book for that reason, but I think it's probably right this time because the fault seems to be with the website I used. It uses a different colour typeface to signify a debut (including off the bench) which is very helpful usually and Kitchen's name is in that different colour for the Chelsea match, but it does look as if he came on for John Buchanan at Oldham - you're right anyway, the link was that they all made debuts in the League Cup.

If the Grandin book took the stats data from The Definitive Cardiff City by Richard Shepherd, then I agree. Shepherd's book is mostly inaccurate. I have researched City stats for 30 years including my visits to Cardiff Library and the Football League (very sad I know) and the errors get compounded with every book issued.