+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: TV and Radio ads which do my head in.

TV and Radio ads which do my head in.

The one that winds me up most at the moment is the one for " Smart meters " which rattle on about Gas and " Lecky ".

Now I've never heard any person refer to Electricity as " Lecky ".

The ads tell you you can see in money values how much you are spending on these utilities.

So what do you do then ?

Stop cooking your dinner or turn off your heating to save money ?

Some companies want us to pay to have them installed to save them
    money on meter readers.

Well they can ferk off as far as I'm concerned.

Re: TV and Radio ads which do my head in.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueWales View Post

The ads tell you you can see in money values how much you are spending on these utilities.

So what do you do then ?

I'm not sure they're suggesting you skip meals.

The idea is that you see how much running the dryer costs when you could stick the washing out on the line, how much the kettle costs to run (how many of us fill it up when just making a cuppa) or how much you save by turning all our phone chargers etc off when not in use.

Quote Originally Posted by itkman View Post
    I'm not sure they're suggesting you skip meals.

The idea is that you see how much running the dryer costs when you could stick the washing out on the line, how much the kettle costs to run (how many of us fill it up when just making a cuppa) or how much you save by turning all our phone chargers etc off when not in use.
    Glad one person has an idea what they are on about. It's as clear as mud to me.

A pile of very patronising , self serving shyte the cost of which is paid
    for by the consumer.

Not to mention the spy hole into your home.

Smart meters are a con. Not one company in history has done anything to better their customers without the company getting a huge reward too. Currently they don't know "when" you use electricity. Most of us use it during the evenings especially at peak times. With the smart meter they will be able to determine this and in the not to distant future, charge you a higher rate accordingly.

Don't be fooled or bamboozled into getting one of these things.

As said above, many people are unaware of how much electricity a tumble dryer, dishwasher etc actually uses and how you can use them differently to make a substantial saving on your bills. However you can get a portable plug in meter which displays energy consumption for about £10.

Paddy Power's new musical number (which are usually at least decent) is shite.

Quote Originally Posted by Ainsley Harriott View Post
    Paddy Power's new musical number (which are usually at least decent) is shite.
    Is that the one with the annoying **** in a wheelchair?

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Shitpeas View Post
    As said above, many people are unaware of how much electricity a tumble dryer, dishwasher etc actually uses and how you can use them differently to make a substantial saving on your bills. However you can get a portable plug in meter which displays energy consumption for about £10.
    There was also a time, not so very long ago when we thought for ourselves, were generally aware and in control and didn't need all this 'hand-holding', help and reminders.
    We are continually being convinced that we are thick and helpless, so that we can be 'helped' (exploited!).

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Shitpeas View Post
    Just curious but how do you use a tumble drier or dishwasher differently to make a substantial saving on your bills, assuming of course that you are using the correct setting on the appliance ?

Paddy Power's adverts and ad campaigns in general are probably the most patronising of the lot

The one for car sales that doesn't have any sound

Quote Originally Posted by walinoz View Post

I've seen this one a few times recently.

Either that company should be getting their money back from ITV or the sound engineer, or it's a piece of marketing genius as I always look up from what I'm doing if my TV suddenly goes silent....Although I don't remember the company so maybe the marketing isn't particularly great.

Not only does the sound not exist in that ad the cars they advertise don"t exist either.

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    Is that the one with the annoying **** in a wheelchair?
    That's him.

The bit where he has a go at the fat bloke for using a disabled toilet - wouldn't it be great if fatty came over, tipped him out of his chair while shouting "not all disabilities are visible you presumptuous wanker"

Quote Originally Posted by walinoz View Post
    This^^^^^

Any betting advert.

Three minutes of flashing lights, jazzy visuals and tempting offers to get you to part with as much money as you can (or can't) afford.....

With a quick 'when the fun stops, stop' tacked onto the end.

Like they give a shit about you pissing the rent money away.

Quote Originally Posted by headlight View Post
    Not only does the sound not exist in that ad the cars they advertise don"t exist either.

My own personal pet hate is those Haribo ones where adults talk with freaky little kids voices.

What the feck is that all about?

Not on TV unless our match is being shown, I guess it's on the radio during commentary.

Watching the match and every sub is preceeded by a plug for a local windows and doors company. Don't know why, it just irritates me.

Anyone remeber the ton tan advert they used to play at Ninian? Don't have to go town to go brown

Quote Originally Posted by Trigger View Post
    Not on TV unless our match is being shown, I guess it's on the radio during commentary.

Watching the match and every sub is preceeded by a plug for a local windows and doors company. Don't know why, it just irritates me.

Anyone remeber the ton tan advert they used to play at Ninian? Don't have to go town to go brown
    I'm still don't know on what basis M.P.N windows are Wales' number 1 double glazing company.
    Is it their own opinion or the results of a survey or sales figures? If you're going to make such claims then you need to be able to back them up.

The Harobo ad rips off a series of youtube vids where actors mimed to recording of what kids were talking about.
    The ones that pee me off are the ones that use Queen songs. Somebody's raking it in on that score but diminishes the songs to "jingles". If I hear another ad with "It's Kind of Magic"!

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Lecter View Post
    That's him.

The bit where he has a go at the fat bloke for using a disabled toilet - wouldn't it be great if fatty came over, tipped him out of his chair while shouting "not all disabilities are visible you presumptuous wanker"
    No, it wouldn't be great at all. Even in the unlikely event of the fatty actually being disabled, there'd be no need to assault the wheelchair user. Ignorance is not a disability.
    As a disabled man (crutches now, wheelchair in the past), I abhor this "let's use the disabled loo/parking space etc" attitude by the lazy, selfish, ignorant cwnts.

Disabled people need the extra space in car parks, for example, as they may need room to transfer into a wheelchair, or in my case, I can't bend my knees sufficiently to exit a car in a 'normal' space.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueWales View Post
    The one that winds me up most at the moment is the one for " Smart meters " which rattle on about Gas and " Lecky ".

Now I've never heard any person refer to Electricity as " Lecky ".

So what do you do then ?

Stop cooking your dinner or turn off your heating to save money ?

Some companies want us to pay to have them installed to save them
    money on meter readers.

Well they can ferk off as far as I'm concerned.
    I have always thought exactly the same. They are nothing to do with the consumer being able to keep an eye on costs and all to do with the company being able to monitor usage and save them the cost of actually sending someone out to read the meter. The ads and letters they send make it sound like the meters are compulsory but they are totally optional. Also large parts of the country are unable to have them due to poor mobile phone reception. The information they give the consumer is almost useless as well for the reasons you stated. I had a letter from my electric company saying that their engineers would be in touch shortly to install the smart meter - I rang them to tell them I didn't have mobile reception at the house and also didnt want one anyway but what I should have done is let them come and find out for themselves that it wouldnt work - missed a trick there.

Quote Originally Posted by bobh View Post
    No, it wouldn't be great at all. Even in the unlikely event of the fatty actually being disabled, there'd be no need to assault the wheelchair user. Ignorance is not a disability.
    As a disabled man (crutches now, wheelchair in the past), I abhor this "let's use the disabled loo/parking space etc" attitude by the lazy, selfish, ignorant cwnts.

Disabled people need the extra space in car parks, for example, as they may need room to transfer into a wheelchair, or in my case, I can't bend my knees sufficiently to exit a car in a 'normal' space.
    You do realise I'm not actually advocating assaults on the diasabled?

Apart from that guy in the advert of course.

And Warwick Davies - annoying little short arse.

Every "Christmas" ad that tries to pull on your heartstrings when in reality all the company want is to rip you off.