+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Interesting thing about tonight's team

Interesting thing about tonight's team

Maybe I'm overthinking this a bit, but tonight's team has the air of a "B" team about it, so why does our most expensive signing (Tomlin) start?
    He had a great game against Sheffield, but whilst it's still early days, it does make me wonder if he's considered as first choice or not. And if he isn't, is he going to accept that for long?

Re: Interesting thing about tonight's team

Needs to up his match fitness I imagine.

He is definitely first choice mate, Warnock said that if could have signed one player this summer it would have been Tomlin.

He was a little behind with fitness compared to the rest of the squad, i don't think he'll play the full 90 tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by itkman View Post
    That would be my guess.

Every game he plays is an opportunity to make himself undroppable. Hopefully, he has the right attitude.

Anyway, he may spend a while away from football shortly anyway, so, at the moment we need to see others get a chance.

Your def reading to much into it. Just resting the team who put in a great shift at Wolves ahead of QPR. On the basis of this starting line up would think (barring injuries tonight) the only change likely for QPR is likely to be Bennett for Jazz as he's the only starter from Saturday. Tomlin still getting his match fitness back after missing chunk of pre season.

Plenty of teams will be paying attention to us now and working out how to stop Zohore, hoilett, NML and then, boom! We bring in Tomlin and are dangerous in a completely different way.

Warnock has got every game so far tactically spot on with his selection.
    Away to Wolves wasn't the place to use Tomlin as we needed the dynamism from Damour as well as Ralls and Gunnar to combat their midfield and it worked a treat.
    Home to Sheff Utd was a perfect example of when we could afford his luxury.

Warnock has already said himself it won't be about 11 players this season he will need his full squad.

There's no such thing as being undroppable under Warnock.

Peltier didn't do anything wrong with Villa and Damour was superb but different tactics were needed v Sheff U so Tomlin and Manga come on.

Both Tomlin and Manga played really well v Sheff U, Tomlin in particular, but it was decided for Wolves we needed to go back to the personnel that played so well v Villa.

Warnock will rotate (not drop) players as he sees fit.

Tomlin has the precious ability to unlock defences - provided he can stay out of prison, of course

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclops View Post
    Tomlin has the precious ability to unlock defences - provided he can stay out of prison, of course
    He's on the lesser gbh charge. No chance he will go to prison for a scuffle.

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    He's on the lesser gbh charge. No chance he will go to prison for a scuffle.
    Who knows what else is in the pipeline (so to speak)

Who knows what else is in the pipeline (so to speak)
    I'd like to think the club have done their due diligence before spending 3m on him

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    I'd like to think the club have done their due diligence before spending 3m on him
    That's daylight robbery

Didn't he have the same pre-season as the rest of the squad?

He hasn't been match fit for 8 years I'm not sure what another lacklustre game against Burton is going to do

Quote Originally Posted by B. Oddie View Post
    That's daylight robbery
    Doesn't look like what I've seen so far. Tries to take everyone on himself, and won't pass. And he's crap at free kicks too. But there agin he only cost £2.9m so what do we expect!

I think this is where he'll be an important player for us.
    Away from home, or if we have scored first, teams will have to come out at us which will play into our direct attacking style.
    If teams start sitting back, or in games where the opposition scores first and are getting bodies behind the ball then that approach is going to be a lot less effective.
    Tomlin is one player who has the skill to break down that kind of defense.
    I think that is where we will struggle this season.

First Team Forest Green Bluebird's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by cardiff55 View Post
    Doesn't look like what I've seen so far. Tries to take everyone on himself, and won't pass. And he's crap at free kicks too. But there agin he only cost £2.9m so what do we expect!
    Perhaps Jursey could give us his opinion of Tomlin.

He appears to be pretty switched on in footballing terms, especially as he supports a team that is close to Europa cup qualification.