+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Warnock being canny again?

Warnock being canny again?

The easiest way to show you need more midfield players is to play two players in midfield who can show what will go wrong when you've got no midfield engine or flair. You can also show how toothless we would be without Zohore at the same time - just in case there was any doubt...

With O'Keefe and Halford there we had essentially a doughnut formation i.e. nothing in the middle.

Players who started and did alright tonight were:

Murphy
    Coxe (until he ran out of steam after about an hour)
    Connolly
    Manga (was turned a couple of times but only from trying to make something happen)
    Richards

Those who raised question marks over their ability to really contribute to the first team:

Ward (not sure how he can play as the target man - not big or quick enough. He also missed a couple of chances you'd hope he'd at least get on target)
    Tomlin - maybe a little desperate to make things happen but basically overcomplicated things too much at times
    Kennedy - ineffective tonight
    Bogle - eerily reminiscent of Zohore when he didn't know what he was doing, but without the ball control. First match so will give him more time, but not ready to cover Zohore yet it seems.

All the above it's a little too soon to judge them on this match when their midfield didn't contribute at all.

Not good enough any more:

O'Keefe - may as well not have been on the pitch. No presence or drive at all. Too slow in deed and thought
    Halford - he may be able to fill in for loads of positions but seems to have lost any finesse in his passing. Too often the ball was thundered way beyond where he must have intended it to go. He's also too slow.

...and so another possible Wembley occasion slips away but it seems no-one really cared so difficult to get too worked up over really.

Re: Warnock being canny again?

Quote Originally Posted by Penarth Blues View Post
    The easiest way to show you need more midfield players is to play two players in midfield who can show what will go wrong when you've got no midfield engine or flair. You can also show how toothless we would be without Zohore at the same time - just in case there was any doubt...

With O'Keefe and Halford there we had essentially a doughnut formation i.e. nothing in the middle.

Players who started and did alright tonight were:

Murphy
    Coxe (until he ran out of steam after about an hour)
    Connolly
    Manga (was turned a couple of times but only from trying to make something happen)
    Richards

Those who raised question marks over their ability to really contribute to the first team:

Ward (not sure how he can play as the target man - not big or quick enough. He also missed a couple of chances you'd hope he'd at least get on target)
    Tomlin - maybe a little desperate to make things happen but basically overcomplicated things too much at times
    Kennedy - ineffective tonight
    Bogle - eerily reminiscent of Zohore when he didn't know what he was doing, but without the ball control. First match so will give him more time, but not ready to cover Zohore yet it seems.

All the above it's a little too soon to judge them on this match when their midfield didn't contribute at all.

Not good enough any more:

O'Keefe - may as well not have been on the pitch. No presence or drive at all. Too slow in deed and thought
    Halford - he may be able to fill in for loads of positions but seems to have lost any finesse in his passing. Too often the ball was thundered way beyond where he must have intended it to go. He's also too slow.

...and so another possible Wembley occasion slips away but it seems no-one really cared so difficult to get too worked up over really.
    Agree about O'Keefe and Halford who were woeful. 2 out of 10 each, and that's generous.

Kennedy was lightweight and ineffective. 3.

Richards I thought was poor although he tried hard. 4.

Ward is not a target man and most of the high balls up to him sailed feet over his head. Not really his fault and will be better with better service. 5

Tomlin had a frustrating night but never stops trying to make things happen - for that alone 6. Coxe, Manga, Connolly, Murphy also 6. Good to see Connolly back though.

Bogle - not been with us long enough to tell, but not a exciting debut.

Just goes to show how there is nothing like a decent midfield to make the difference. And we had nothing like a decent midfield until far too late.

Burton - played well. Deserved to win. 7 each.

I agree, no midfield with O'Keefe and Halford. No pace out wide with Ward and Kennedy. When Ward went to the centre he looked no good. Bogle looked like a 4th tier striker and was then played don the left wing! I though Coxe looked promising, Connolly was his usual average self, but it was his first game. Manga was excellent, but i thought Richards was very good , especially going forward, murphy had to make some good saves too.

Quote Originally Posted by cardiff55 View Post
    I agree, no midfield with O'Keefe and Halford. No pace out wide with Ward and Kennedy. When Ward went to the centre he looked no good. Bogle looked like a 4th tier striker and was then played don the left wing! I though Coxe looked promising, Connolly was his usual average self, but it was his first game. Manga was excellent, but i thought Richards was very good , especially going forward, murphy had to make some good saves too.
    And that's where I thought he looked his worst. No pace to beat the full back on the overlap.

You disappoint me Rich Munn.I expected you to lay into O'Keefe in much the same way as you did a year or two back when you likened him to clockwork stoat or some such beast.

Let's be frank he didn't even deserve the 2 you've given him but you did say you were being generous.He was next to useless just like Halford. Both should be given boot cleaning duties for such an inept performance or shown the door asap.

A very disappointing waste of a few hours this evening it must be said.

Bogle didn't seem to have a clue position wise, Warnock and Jepson were shouting at him to go here,go there the whole time that he was on.

Quote Originally Posted by Llanedeyrnblue View Post
    Bogle didn't seem to have a clue position wise, Warnock and Jepson were shouting at him to go here,go there the whole time that he was on.
    They were going nuts second half after Bogle switched with Ward. I also noticed there was no handshake or acknowledgement from NW when Bogle came off. I guess he is going to be having an "interesting" time in training over the next few weeks!

Quote Originally Posted by Mambo View Post
    Halford didnt have his best game tonight - at all.
    I like O'Keefe attitude - Warnock seems to like him to - but the end product wasnt there
    Tomlin - getting fitter, and he gets stuck in - I agree with Warnock - he is the sort of player we need if we are to make a challenge.
    Coxe - did ok - nothing more , but it was his debut I think

We could have won it

The one player I was impressed with was Pilks, didnt recognise him - he has bulked up a lot
    It seems like Gunnar has bulked up a bit too. I hardly recognised him at Burton.

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    It seems like Gunnar has bulked up a bit too. I hardly recognised him at Burton.
    That was his new hair cut.

Very disappointed with Kennedy , had high hopes for the lad after his time at Plymouth, hate to say it perhaps that is his level?
    Ward is an interesting player, has a bit of finesse about him, certainly more than a target man wonder where the goals are coming from with him at the moment, looks more of a winger than a centre forward.
    Tomlin has bags of skill, agree with Penarth Blues may have been trying a little too hard unfortunately on a different page to his team mates , when he does click (with the more intelligent players around him) he will be a great asset.
    Halford , not for me , I couldnt revive his career if I did a Jimmy special on him. Doubt he has ever been more than a hardworking journey man type player, you need more than that to be successful in this league.
    Bogle looked busy , look forward to seeing more from him.
    The young lad Coxe played extremely on his debut,wasn't frightened to get forward , always looking for the ball run out of legs late on.
    I was extremely disappointed we lost , I get we have bigger fish to fry , my expectations are so high at the moment, defeat is unthinkable.