+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Warnock after a midfielder, possibly on loan ....

Warnock after a midfielder, possibly on loan ....

... any of you have thoughts as to who it might be or indeed who you'd like to see come in? This was expressed by Warnock in his post match interview from last night.

Re: Warnock after a midfielder, possibly on loan ....

Ledley on reduced wages

Quote Originally Posted by Armitage Shanks View Post
    Ledley on reduced wages
    Be the obvious choice. Depends on our budget I guess and what offers Joe has on the table, if we're only in a position to offer a 6 month contract then he might have a better option elsewhere.

Ledley playing a waiting game-understand City have made an offer.Can't seem him being anywhere near fit enough to play though for quite some time.

Quote Originally Posted by GRUMPYS DEN View Post
    Ledley playing a waiting game-understand City have made an offer.Can't seem him being anywhere near fit enough to play though for quite some time.
    Not sure about that, Hoilett was able to slot in quite seamlessly despite not having a club in the three months or more before he signed for us. On the other hand, Chamakh never looked match fit while he was here - it's all down to the player I suppose and I would've thought Joe would be keeping himself fit.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Not sure about that, Hoilett was able to slot in quite seamlessly despite not having a club in the three months or more before he signed for us. On the other hand, Chamakh never looked match fit while he was here - it's all down to the player I suppose and I would've thought Joe would be keeping himself fit.
    Agreed.

He hadn't played first team football for a long time before the Serbia game in June and didn't have a problem then.

Quote Originally Posted by ccfcwelshlad View Post
    Agreed.

He hadn't played first team football for a long time before the Serbia game in June and didn't have a problem then.
    He broke his leg, had hardly kicked the ball and still managed to play in the Euros! Think Joe is the type to do OK and look after himself.

Warnock definitely spoke about a loan player in his interview - so unless that changes it won't be Ledley.

Apparently he is in full training with Barry town, "not on trial"

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    Warnock definitely spoke about a loan player in his interview - so unless that changes it won't be Ledley.
    Yes, it certainly seems that's what he's looking at (loan player). I hope that it's our turn to unearth a gem from the Premier league, someone who's young and unable to get a look in at one of the top clubs.

I always think it must be a bit of a gamble for an out of contract player or a player nearing the end of his contract (Ibrahimovic) to over exert.
    An ACL to Joe training at the moment would cost him a years salary

Would have thought Cardiff might have offered for Ledley to train with them whether there was potential to sign him or not. Think we did that for someone like Earnie or Gabbidon a while back?

Joe does seem the type to keep himself fit but it's still not quite the same as a proper pre season with a club. Just hope he's fit enough to be at his best for Wales next week, will need him even more so with Allen being out.

I'd love it to be ledley but i think he's close to a halford (experienced, a presence in the middle) than ralls/gunnarson/darmour and we need a fourth of the latter more than a second of the former.

Quote Originally Posted by surge View Post
    I'd love it to be ledley but i think he's close to a halford (experienced, a presence in the middle) than ralls/gunnarson/darmour and we need a fourth of the latter more than a second of the former.

Is the answer 12

Surely Joe would be an excellent cover for Gunnerson or even at left back?

Quote Originally Posted by Ianto13 View Post
    Surely Joe would be an excellent cover for Gunnerson or even at left back?
    Well he's not too hot at left back but I really think he would take our midfield from solid to brilliant.

Quote Originally Posted by surge View Post
    True, but he's a massive step up in quality from Halford, and although I'm pretty happy with our midfield as it is he would take it to the next level.

Quote Originally Posted by jnc90 View Post
    True, but he's a massive step up in quality from Halford, and although I'm pretty happy with our midfield as it is he would take it to the next level.
    We absolutely have to sign another centre mid. Halford can't play in a 2, and Ralls and Gunnar will pick up knocks and injuries. We have 3 good CMs and currently we are playing all 3 in big games. A new one is an absolute must.

Charlie Adam?

Halford will be cannon fodder during the winter. A vital role.

And he seems to be a good egg to have around the squad?.

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro de la Rosa View Post
    We absolutely have to sign another centre mid. Halford can't play in a 2, and Ralls and Gunnar will pick up knocks and injuries. We have 3 good CMs and currently we are playing all 3 in big games. A new one is an absolute must.
    Totally agree - decent goalkeeper cover; back four well covered with Manga, Patterson, Connolly and Bennett there; up front we have Ward, Tomlin and probably Bogle (When he has been fully "Warnocked") but any problems with Gunnar, Ralls and Damour and we would be in trouble, so as you say, reinforcements in Midfield is an absolute must if we are going to be serious about the first half of the season, then see where we are and what the next transfer window does.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    Totally agree - decent goalkeeper cover; back four well covered with Manga, Patterson, Connolly and Bennett there; up front we have Ward, Tomlin and probably Bogle (When he has been fully "Warnocked") but any problems with Gunnar, Ralls and Damour and we would be in trouble, so as you say, reinforcements in Midfield is an absolute must if we are going to be serious about the first half of the season, then see where we are and what the next transfer window does.
    Agree, although I think Manga could do a job in midfield if necessary.

I get the impression that at the moment, if Warnock wants something (within reason) he'll get it, so will be interesting to see who comes in. Ledley within budget would be good, but maybe better, younger options out there as loans?

Quote Originally Posted by TH63 View Post

I get the impression that at the moment, if Warnock wants something (within reason) he'll get it, so will be interesting to see who comes in. Ledley within budget would be good, but maybe better, younger options out there as loans?
    I wouldn't mind seeing Ledley come in on a 12 month contract as cover for CM and also see a young Premier division midfielder come in for some experience. That young Man Utd lad in WoL the other day looked good - Scott McTominay.

Quote Originally Posted by TH63 View Post

It depends what Warnock wants. Ledley is about as low risk as they come, he's experienced and a good lad. That does come at a cost though, he also lives in Cardiff so there's no chance he gets homesick or anything. Then you can loan someone as again, it is low risk in terms of money but could be a greater risk in terms of ability. Having said that, I trust Warnock and back him to make the right calls with the budget we have.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    I wouldn't mind seeing Ledley come in on a 12 month contract as cover for CM and also see a young Premier division midfielder come in for some experience. That young Man Utd lad in WoL the other day looked good - Scott McTominay.
    There's no chance Ledley is going to sign a 1 year contract at this stage if his career. He's holding out for the biggest contract he can get. I don't blame him either. It's a tough sell to anyone saying do you fancy signing debt us and being cover for our 3 midfielders.

Utility players who can fill in many positions are going to be vital, so halford , Richards , manga Etc will always be in and around the squad.