+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Are we still after Amari'i Bell?

Are we still after Amari'i Bell?

Re: Are we still after Amari'i Bell?

Shouldn't think so with Bennett staying and I think Hull need the players.

Malky spent £10m on Acheezi'i Bell for the Premier League season

We don't need him now Bennet is staying. We've also got Peltier, Richards, Manga, Connolly, Morrison, Bamba. Connolly and Manga have played right back. And Manga played there last week. And now Cameron Coxe is emerging too. And don't forget Declan John.....wherever he is.

Quote Originally Posted by cardiff55 View Post
    We don't need him now Bennet is staying. We've also got Peltier, Richards, Manga, Connolly, Morrison, Bamba. Connolly and Manga have played right back. And Manga played there last week. And now Cameron Coxe is emerging too. And don't forget Declan John.....wherever he is.
    Bell's a left back... of the players you listed, only Richards and Peltier have played more than the odd game there. I prefer left backs to be left footed tbh. Bell as backup to Bennett for me unless one of the DVP LBs could step up, offload Richards and John.

Quote Originally Posted by ccfc_is_my_life View Post
    Bell's a left back... of the players you listed, only Richards and Peltier have played more than the odd game there. I prefer left backs to be left footed tbh. Bell as backup to Bennett for me unless one of the DVP LBs could step up, offload Richards and John.
    Richards is solid and won't let anyone down, Bell is an unknown quantity. Also, until January, Bennett was extremely dodgy so nice to have a steady eddie. I'd start Bennett but I actually think Richards plays pretty well on the left.

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro de la Rosa View Post
    Richards is solid and won't let anyone down, Bell is an unknown quantity. Also, until January, Bennett was extremely dodgy so nice to have a steady eddie. I'd start Bennett but I actually think Richards plays pretty well on the left.
    Richards in summer was, from memory, commenting he'd not mind playing midfield. That strikes me as being somebody who knows he's not good enough to command a starting place at full back so was looking to get into an area of perceived weakness. He doesn't offer anything at left back that Peltier couldn't do - and Peltier imo is more solid defensively, both weak going forward. Peltier will be a backup once Paterson is fit... so Richards imo is backup to Peltier.

I just don't like right footers playing left back. It kills width going forward, slows attacks up as the full back then cuts inside - cutting into more congested middle areas. Worse, defensively ball comes to right footer on left. Cut ball back onto right foot, attacker closes down - at best throw in, at worst given ball away at back.

Bennett was kinda out of favour with Warnock though. When given a run of games he's earnt the starting role. Better defensively than Richards, gives more going forward.

Blue in the Face

Bennett leaving this window is still possible. If he hasn't signed a new contract then the 2m minimum release clause is still there. All the signs point to him staying though. I think for the short / medium term, Neil sees Jazz as a left back for now. Jazz is tried and tested. He was outstanding for the closing games of last season and has started this season very well - a cog that is working in a machine that is very much working. Speculating on this lad Bell is a probably a risk we can't take for this window. Any money left in the pot should go on a midfielder now.

It would make more sense us going bidding again on Bell in the next window when his contract is close to running out, but it looks like he'll be snapped up in the next week so we are likely to miss out.

Richards in summer was, from memory, commenting he'd not mind playing midfield. That strikes me as being somebody who knows he's not good enough to command a starting place at full back so was looking to get into an area of perceived weakness...
    Perhaps you're right, but I didn't interpret his words in the same way. Jazz did start out in Swansea's academy as a central midfielder. More of a holding player I think. I seem to remember he was dropped into the Swansea team because of an injury crisis at full back and because he had played a lot at full back a lot he ended up filling in. Now that position has stuck for him.

Neil seems to like utility players. Think Jazz would need to be more combative and physical for Neil to use him in midfield. If Neil was thinking of deploying him there, you would imagine he would have been tried there in pre-season. It looks as though Jazz's first team chances will be a left back for the short term.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post

We all know his dad from the computer firm
    small world

Richards in summer was, from memory, commenting he'd not mind playing midfield. That strikes me as being somebody who knows he's not good enough to command a starting place at full back so was looking to get into an area of perceived weakness. He doesn't offer anything at left back that Peltier couldn't do - and Peltier imo is more solid defensively, both weak going forward. Peltier will be a backup once Paterson is fit... so Richards imo is backup to Peltier.

I just don't like right footers playing left back. It kills width going forward, slows attacks up as the full back then cuts inside - cutting into more congested middle areas. Worse, defensively ball comes to right footer on left. Cut ball back onto right foot, attacker closes down - at best throw in, at worst given ball away at back.

Bennett was kinda out of favour with Warnock though. When given a run of games he's earnt the starting role. Better defensively than Richards, gives more going forward.
    Richards started as a centre mid, and was converted to a full back by Sousa at Swansea. We had 2 centre mids and was saying he's an option because he's played there. Who wouldn't want to try their arm at centre midfield? Also, Jazz's left foot isn't terrible. Richards is pretty competent there, and he's played left back now in 3 straight games that we've won. Peltier at left back looks a fish out of water. It really isn't pretty. We've got 3 full back that are absolutely fine in Richards, Peltier and Bennett and Paterson is an unknown quantity. I'd be amazed if we sign Bell.