+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: In defence of Cup football.

In defence of Cup football.

Re: In defence of Cup football.

I wonder if Warnock said we're going to have a real go at this and announced he'd field his best team whether it would make much difference to the attendance in the early rounds. I honestly don't know.

If allowed I am quite sure warnock would remove us from the cups before entering.

With the exception of Coxe, we fielded players from the first team squad who need games.

Blame FA rather than the clubs for killing reserve leagues in favour of U23 leagues.

I'd say the modern day game has more intensity than that of the 70s and 80s. There's also a litany of former pros from that time with dodgy knees and arthritic joints after they've been given a battering during their playing careers and I think we have a duty to remember that if we expect players to give 100% every game then that can't be for 55-60 games a year.

It's only in the last 20-odd years we've had 46 games in the second tier but even 42 would be too many today (if we expect an unchanging team and a cup run).

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebirdman Of Alcathays View Post
    I'd say the modern day game has more intensity than that of the 70s and 80s. There's also a litany of former pros from that time with dodgy knees and arthritic joints after they've been given a battering during their playing careers and I think we have a duty to remember that if we expect players to give 100% every game then that can't be for 55-60 games a year.

It's only in the last 20-odd years we've had 46 games in the second tier but even 42 would be too many today (if we expect an unchanging team and a cup run).
    There have been big advances in medical technology and training methods. In the old days the players would have a fag and run straight onto the the pitch and start playing. As an example, you can get debilitating conditions from playing a guitar if you don't do proper warm-up exercises.