+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Burton v Man Utd.

Burton v Man Utd.

Would we have played Man Utd if we'd won or were the balls in alphabetic order rather than match order? Sadly I was awake at 4.15 and tried to listen to the draw but the football league have made a right pigs ear of it this year. BBC 5 live were speaking with some Chinese based football reporter who said the only way of following the draw was via Twitter updates. He didn't think anyone in China had any idea that the draw was being made out there. No surprise there then.

Re: Burton v Man Utd.

Balls were alphabetical so we would also have been number 11

Nugent would've been in a right old pickle

Quote Originally Posted by The Bloop View Post
    Balls were alphabetical so we would also have been number 11

Who was #11 in the draw?

I was just looking at our end of September fixtures and assuming we did draw Man Utd, we'd have had to take a full strength team to Old Trafford three days after the Sheffield Wednesday game (16th Sept) and 4 days before our visit to Sunderland. Then we've got Leeds 3 days after that!!

It would have been a congested 10 days for sure for our squad.

Sunderland are away to Everton in the cup too I've just noticed, and Leeds away to Burnley. I'll bookmark this to see how it all pans out - will be very interesting to see if Warnock made the right choice to dip out of this cup.

I hope Wolves get to the semis too. Pick up a few knocks...

Extremely unlikely had we won it would have been drawn the same. Split second changes to anything to do with the draw would result in completely different fixtures being drawn.

Quote Originally Posted by Trigger View Post
    Extremely unlikely had we won it would have been drawn the same. Split second changes to anything to do with the draw would result in completely different fixtures being drawn.
    But if we had won, with all other things being equal, then we would have drawn Man Utd

If everything from the aftermath of the result to amd including the draw itself was exactly the same then yes. But it wouldn't have been. Us winning is a different event which would have very small knock on effects. We may have drawn United but it's extremely unlikely.

If I relived today 10 times but got up a split second later or earlier my 10 days would be different. Perhaps noticeable, perhaps not. The effect for the coming days, weeks and years would be different.

Us winning would have had an effect somewhere, however small. Releasing the balls a split second difference would have a completely different draw.

As far as I can work out, we would have been ball number 11 in the draw so would have drawn Man Utd. We are the next club alphabetically after Burton and also one before the next club Chelsea. Doesnt matter now though does it - we lost and it will probably work out best in the long run. Man Utd away would have been nice though.

We also missed out on Man Utd last season as we lost at home to Shrewsbury? Club missed out on big payday again and fans on a great away day. Why do managers put out weak teams in League Cup?

Quote Originally Posted by Ianto13 View Post
    We also missed out on Man Utd last season as we lost at home to Shrewsbury? Club missed out on big payday again and fans on a great away day. Why do managers put out weak teams in League Cup?
    To be fair we should've fielded all the starters, that way one of them could've got injured but we could've watched them play a united second/third team. Cool. League Cup shouldn't be taken seriously unless you stumble into the quarter finals. The FA should just get shot of it. It's a farce.

Would we have still played Coxe and had Harris on the bench? Would we have won and a step further to Wembley? Answer to both is probably no so all it would have been would be one big gate receipt.

Quote Originally Posted by Ianto13 View Post
    Yeah, risk Zohore in a meaningless game. Lose him for the season...

Who cares about Prem TV money when we can have a payday against Manky Urinals...

Players get injured training, and surely we should go out to win every match, then we would start getting bigger crowds like we did on our last two Wembley visits?

Jose must have let out a sigh of relief , knowing we won't be releasing our forwards upon them.

Vindicated IMO
    6 points v Sunderland & Leeds