+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Education continuing to fail under Labour control in Wales

Education continuing to fail under Labour control in Wales

Whilst apparently we are very good at Rubbish, as you were.

Re: Education continuing to fail under Labour control in Wales

We always knew this , plus the poor performance of NHS and its unlikely to change along with the ruling Labour Party its with us forever.

Education results have dropped in the rest of the UK as well. Underfunding across the board and a demoralised teaching staff don't help the situation.

Quote Originally Posted by Mambo View Post
    "In Wales, exams in English, Welsh and maths (six GCSEs in total) have also been toughened, but the qualification is still taken in units. New GCSEs in other subjects are being phased in.

Here GCSE results for A* to C grades fell sharply by 3.8 percentage points to 62.8% compared to 66.6% in 2016.
    Exams watchdog Qualifications Wales says changing entry patterns have contributed to the fall.

In Northern Ireland, where pupils are generally sitting old-style GCSEs in all subjects this year, results have improved here again, with one in 10 entries being awarded an A*.!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-41023354

Still bottom of the UK results. No doubt Kirsty the WAG Education Minister will be along shortly to give us an excuse. The result is the result - bottom unfortunately
    We'll have an enquiry, then another enquiry, then another enquiry, then another enquiry, then another enquiry, then another enquiry, then another enquiry, then another enquiry, then another enquiry then another enquiry then another enquiry, then another enquiry, then maybe change the system, fall behind even further after a chaotic system change, then another enquiry, then another enquiry, meanwhile the people will still vote for a turd with a red rosette and all because their fathers did before them, and before them, and before them.

Shut the feck up u Tory arse lickers

Wales is a poor nation with a history of reliance on heavy industry

Considering that we push well above our weight on so many things despite piss poor funding from the Tory scum in London

****ing shameful blue nosed tarts

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    Shut the feck up u Tory arse lickers

Wales is a poor nation with a history of reliance on heavy industry

Considering that we push well above our weight on so many things despite piss poor funding from the Tory scum in London

****ing shameful blue nosed tarts
    Bollocks!!! and I voted for Jezza so stuff that up yer chuffa.
    education has been a bloody disaster in Wales for years and years, FACT, you can gloss over it year after year, being taught to add up and take away has feck all to do with heavy industry.

Quote Originally Posted by ninianclark View Post
    WAG blamed the failure rate on kids doing GCSE's early - then didnt realise that the figures for the correct age group were down 2.8% on last year.

Not sure what the cause is - thick kids, rubbish teachers or a useless Welsh Education policy ?
    Pretty fair assessment, most likely all contributing factors.

kids are still the same (no better or worse on the whole), teachers are well paid for what they do, whether they should be more incentivised is debatable. Knowing some teachers - they are fed up with the WAG changing goal posts, curriculum's.

Someone at the WAG needs to put in process a strategy of how to improve results - and as yet - that has either not been proven or they have chosen the wrong strategy.

The WAG will blame the Tories like they always have done - I wonder instead if they would be better off copying whatever it is they are doing in Northern Ireland as they have beaten everybody.

As for some on here coming up with the usual pro Labour regardless and anti Tory regardless posts - you are a bit pathetic - unless of course you are trying to do comedy - in which case you should perhaps try a week in the Edinburgh fringe ?.

We are either a bit thicker than everyone else in the UK, or it's not being taught right
    I think teachers everywhere are a bit pissed off, new government/leadership seems to always mean new direction, so a big pointless upheaval but not fixing the problems that they see. I don't know much about education in Wales, I went to school in and live in England. Having shit exam results is obviously not a good sign but something tells me that part of our problem with education in this country is that it is all about exam results. Schools are judged on them, even individual teachers are judged on them. The strategy needs to be bigger than just improving results.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Cartman View Post
    I think teachers everywhere are a bit pissed off, new government/leadership seems to always mean new direction, so a big pointless upheaval but not fixing the problems that they see. I don't know much about education in Wales, I went to school in and live in England. Having shit exam results is obviously not a good sign but something tells me that part of our problem with education in this country is that it is all about exam results. Schools are judged on them, even individual teachers are judged on them. The strategy needs to be bigger than just improving results.
    Listening to Radio Wales on the way home from work, as i always do, the major topic tonight was about obese schoolchildren, an expert!!!! had air time to tell the nation that not all children have access to special clinics, dietitians etc. etc. etc. and that the health service did not have the money for this service, now whatever happened to the responsibility of parents, what type of expert is required to tell a child, "son or daughter, you are overweight and we need to do something about it" I remember Euro 2004 in portugal seeing my son, then as an 8 year stripped off swimming etc. in the pool and being a bit concerned that he was getting overweight, not wanting to spoil his holiday and waiting until we got home, pulled him to one side and told him he was getting overweight, eating too much shite and not excersizing and if he didn't do something about it, would end up like his old man who was also overweight!!!, he cried his eyes out to his mum that his dad had called him FAT, i was sensitive about it in the way i tried to explain it, but i did upset him, not intentionally of course. I'm sure if he was asked now, he would say he's glad I pulled him up on it, as a 25 year old he has a very lean body whilst not ripped i think they call it, just slim with no excess body fat, has the occasional treat but eats very little shite, exercises regularly, and drinks little alcohol, the only thing left is for me to follow my own advice!!, i've gone off topic as usual, but it's still education and the seemingly thought process, that everything can only be solved by throwing money at it, I wil not buy this argument perpetuated mostly by Labour politicians and voters, education starts in the home, and costs nothing, and can be very effective.

Quote Originally Posted by Nelsonca61 View Post
    Listening to Radio Wales on the way home from work, as i always do, the major topic tonight was about obese schoolchildren, an expert!!!! had air time to tell the nation that not all children have access to special clinics, dietitians etc. etc. etc. and that the health service did not have the money for this service, now whatever happened to the responsibility of parents, what type of expert is required to tell a child, "son or daughter, you are overweight and we need to do something about it" I remember Euro 2004 in portugal seeing my son, then as an 8 year stripped off swimming etc. in the pool and being a bit concerned that he was getting overweight, not wanting to spoil his holiday and waiting until we got home, pulled him to one side and told him he was getting overweight, eating too much shite and not excersizing and if he didn't do something about it, would end up like his old man who was also overweight!!!, he cried his eyes out to his mum that his dad had called him FAT, i was sensitive about it in the way i tried to explain it, but i did upset him, not intentionally of course. I'm sure if he was asked now, he would say he's glad I pulled him up on it, as a 25 year old he has a very lean body whilst not ripped i think they call it, just slim with no excess body fat, has the occasional treat but eats very little shite, exercises regularly, and drinks little alcohol, the only thing left is for me to follow my own advice!!, i've gone off topic as usual, but it's still education and the seemingly thought process, that everything can only be solved by throwing money at it, I wil not buy this argument perpetuated mostly by Labour politicians and voters, education starts in the home, and costs nothing, and can be very effective.
    Well unless there is some obvious medical problem then a child's weight is the responsibility of the parent, unfortunately some parents aren't responsible, I would hope we can find some way to give this kid every chance of succeeding.

Not criticising your approach but surely at 8 years old you decide what your kid eats, is there any need to have a discussion with him about being fat. 'you are eating too much shite son', 'well you do the fackin shopping dad'

Every kid should get maths and english gcse as a guarantee from the school.
    For kids that arent academic I would likek to see GCSE plumbing, mechanics, roofing or whatever trade they can manage to get the 'non academic' kids interested in.

I have a friend who works in Fitzalan - she loves the challenge,laughs at the kids as on the whole as they either hide behind their religion and are unbelievably stupid in some aspects - you could argue it's pointless teaching them anything. But some of the other kids she has in an exceptionally bright class have done great.

F ucking about by the WAG doesn't really help either - other than create job opportunities for the education consultants to get overpaid.

On the whole the kids seem to be let down by those that oversee teaching strategy.
    I think some kind of strategy that involves more vocational stuff is good but I believe it needs to be based more on choice than academic ability. Kids should believe that anything is possible if they work hard so I think we need to be very careful about limiting them based on current academic ability.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Cartman View Post
    Well unless there is some obvious medical problem then a child's weight is the responsibility of the parent, unfortunately some parents aren't responsible, I would hope we can find some way to give this kid every chance of succeeding.

Not criticising your approach but surely at 8 years old you decide what your kid eats, is there any need to have a discussion with him about being fat. 'you are eating too much shite son', 'well you do the fackin shopping dad'

I'll not disagree with you for the sake of it

Every kid should get maths and english gcse as a guarantee from the school.
    For kids that arent academic I would likek to see GCSE plumbing, mechanics, roofing or whatever trade they can manage to get the 'non academic' kids interested in.

I have a friend who works in Fitzalan - she loves the challenge,laughs at the kids as on the whole as they either hide behind their religion and are unbelievably stupid in some aspects - you could argue it's pointless teaching them anything. But some of the other kids she has in an exceptionally bright class have done great.

F ucking about by the WAG doesn't really help either - other than create job opportunities for the education consultants to get overpaid.

On the whole the kids seem to be let down by those that oversee teaching strategy.
    i would wager a large percentage of the little Joeys are facked b4 they even reach high school
    I think the problem should be sorted before they reach that age
    and I think I'm going to upset a few people here too but maybe its in the homes too environment pays a huge part
    a stable environment will help that
    but joeys breed out joeys

To summrise then , whose fault is it with regards Welsh Education and NHS failures ?

Health and Education are devolved powers arent they ? - so what / how money is spent is determined by the WAG. There are individual health boards just as there are individual Council education depts.

So big decisions are the responsibility of the WAG, the failure to carry them out is the responsibility of the individual councils / health boards.

Why we cant just have 1 UK wide education policy and 1 UK wide health policy etc is beyond me
    Perhaps whats missing is management of that money, linked to performance and standards , its easy to spend it, and make headlines ,not easy to ensure you get the value for that money, those are the difficult political decisions , deploying value and monitoring its efficiency , I sometimes think the word efficiency ,better value ,cost effectiveness ,cuts ,don't sit well with all parties .

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    Perhaps whats missing is management of that money, linked to performance and standards , its easy to spend it, and make headlines ,not easy to ensure you get the value for that money, those are the difficult political decisions , deploying value and monitoring its efficiency , I sometimes think the word efficiency ,better value ,cost effectiveness ,cuts ,don't sit well with all parties .

your last sentence would speak job loses wouldn't it ?
    well MAYBE to the people employed in them areas

Quote Originally Posted by I.8.POLITICAL.CORRECTNESS View Post
    your last sentence would speak job loses wouldn't it ?
    well MAYBE to the people employed in them areas
    No not really , just being smarter with your purchasing,monitoring performance , and if we have over burdened management or duplication of roles then yes job efficiency comes to play, most importantly though is getting your value .

No not really , just being smarter with your purchasing,monitoring performance , and if we have over burdened management or duplication of roles then yes job efficiency comes to play, most importantly though is getting your value .

i did mean the "cuts" part of your sentence lol

Quote Originally Posted by I.8.POLITICAL.CORRECTNESS View Post
    i did mean the "cuts" part of your sentence lol
    Cuts doesnt have to mean removing workers jobs, it could mean cutting out waste , doing more , cut excessive leave , pensions .

Whatever job you , in whatever sector - if your first response to any problem is to throw more money at it - then you shouldnt be in charge of the tea fund - let alone a tax payers budget.

'Waste' appears in any business / project. If you know how to identify and eliminate it continuously then you will always be in demand. Get rid of the waste, identify new savings, bulk purchase powers etc - all the usual stuff that successful businesses do - you can then start to improve outcomes. Sounds easy - but in reality isn't always that simple.

Most public sectors I've worked in - there has always been large wastage - and the response was to simply ask for more budget. It's a mindset with people who have done the same job in the same dept all their life.

I dont have the answers - and I guess we in Wales will continue to be a little bit thicker than the rest of the UK and NI on the whole.

Spot on , I'm my opinion it's not about being thicker, its about not being progressive enough , and seeking better and different ways of working, it's like we are stuck in a political and business time warp. If you speak out or challenge the norm your considered a Tory. Our country is too dependent on public service jobs which are multi layered .

If you get voted back into power time and time and time again - you will have no motivation to do anything - other than look for other scapegoats
    Given that the Tories have been the biggest party in Westminster for the last 3 general elections, does this also apply to them?

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    Given that the Tories have been the biggest party in Westminster for the last 3 general elections, does this also apply to them?
    A difficult one to answer as the 3 elections gave them no real power, first was a coalition, second was a small majority, tge last one was a shrunken majority .

The 3 elections have overseen a massive financial crash not of the making, Brexit which was thier making , the disastrous May plan, which is devoid of direction ,the rise and fall of UKIP and the faltering SNP .

In the meantime the opposition staggers from one direction to another to another , ironically sacks anyone with a strong and opposite viewpoint to theirs , democracy eh .

A difficult one to answer as the 3 elections gave them no real power, first was a coalition, second was a small majority, tge last one was a shrunken majority .

The 3 elections have overseen a massive financial crash not of the making, Brexit which was thier making , the disastrous May plan, which is devoid of direction ,the rise and fall of UKIP and the faltering SNP .

In the meantime the opposition staggers from one direction to another to another , ironically sacks anyone with a strong and opposite viewpoint to theirs , democracy eh .
    When will the excuses end? Can labour blame pfi on the underfunded mess of a country they were left in 1997? Nope.

Tories chose to bin a majority at the last election in the hope they could crush their opposition (Labour and UKIP). You probably believe they did it because 'the brexit process was being frustrated' despite their being no evidence of this whatsoever.

yes it does Eric, just like it applied to them pre 1997 and John Major / Thatcher era. New Labour voted in on some massive promises and everyone then waited for the promises to be delivered (we know how that story ended)

With the Tories it is slightly different as the first Govt was a coalition, the second one was only a half a term - then Brexit and then the 2nd part of it under May.

Iraq and debt were Blair / Brown legacies , Brexit obviously Cameron's one, We wont know May's legacy until we see how Brexit pans out and how much the Lib Dems and Labour try to disrupt (as is their right in opposition)
    You have done well to provide excuses for the past and excuses for the future all in one post.

But Maggie closed the mines so.....