+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: One for the Glamorgan cricket crew

First Team

One for the Glamorgan cricket crew

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uYO9...&feature=share

Came across this lovely little clip regarding a memorable game and a fine batsman.

Re: One for the Glamorgan cricket crew

Quote Originally Posted by Majorblue View Post
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uYO9...&feature=share

Came across this lovely little clip regarding a memorable game and a fine batsman.

This is thinly veiled stuff young Major....bleedin' Middlesex supporter.
    It's a lovely clip. The Gillette Cup for me remains the best County cricket limited overs competition. I loved it. Marvellous to hear Laker and Benaud on commentary.

Alan Jones just like Don Shepherd should have won England caps. Others like Peter Walker, Steve Watkin and Matt Maynard were poorly treated too.

That was a marvellous Middlesex side too. Dear old Wayne Daniel.

Back in those days I could name all the players in each County side. These days outside of Glammy I wouldn't have a clue.

First Team

Quote Originally Posted by Pearcey3 View Post
    This is thinly veiled stuff young Major....bleedin' Middlesex supporter.
    It's a lovely clip. The Gillette Cup for me remains the best County cricket limited overs competition. I loved it. Marvellous to hear Laker and Benaud on commentary.

Alan Jones just like Don Shepherd should have won England caps. Others like Peter Walker, Steve Watkin and Matt Maynard were poorly treated too.

That was a marvellous Middlesex side too. Dear old Wayne Daniel.
    Apologies for the result but the abiding memory of that final was Mike Llewelyn's six which almost cleared the pavilion.

The Jones brothers were terrific players and I reckon Eifon was equally unlucky to miss out on a test cap but he was up against some truly great keepers at that time.

I believe that no one has come close to matching it including people like Stokes using a bowling machine as opposed to in match play.

They even had Boston Red Socks players have a go a few months ago using baseball bats and balls and they could not match Mikes mighty hit.

Quote Originally Posted by Majorblue View Post
    Apologies for the result but the abiding memory of that final was Mike Llewelyn's six which almost cleared the pavilion.

The Jones brothers were terrific players and I reckon Eifon was equally unlucky to miss out on a test cap but he was up against some truly great keepers at that time.

I believe that no one has come close to matching it including people like Stokes using a bowling machine as opposed to in match play.

They even had Boston Red Socks players have a go a few months ago using baseball bats and balls and they could not match Mikes mighty hit.
    Yes it was a huge hit and it's what I remember of that final. Alan Knott would have been England's keeper for much of the time and then your Paul Downton and Bob Taylor would have taken over. I didn't think Downton was so good but what a side Middlesex had. Graham Barlow, Mike Brearley, Clive Radley, Mike Gatting, Phil Edmonds, Mike Emburey, Mike Selvey, Wayne Daniel etc etc

How times have changed.
    AJ interviewed after the game more than happy to have lost, very humble.
    Peter West too, along with Maker and Benaud synonymous with cricket.

Remember the final very well and we were never really in it. With the names already mentioned, everyone knew it was a massive task to beat the might of Middlesex.
    I was on holidays and it was about 80 odd degrees, everyone on the beach and I spent all day indoors watching the telly. My old man was fuming with me for some reason (he wasn't a cricket man).

Nice one Major

Thanks Major. That really did take me down Memory Lane. Us reaching the final was a huge achievement that season. I remember we beat Surrey at Sophia Gardens in the QF and then beating Leicestershire in the semi at St Helens which because of rain interruptions took 3days to complete. My childhood memories seem so simple. Watch the bluebirds all winter and watch Glamorgan all summer. I was never going to be a professional footballer but my dream was to keep wicket for Glamorgan but sadly now as a 53 year old I'm beginning to give up hope of ever realising my dream. Really enjoyed that 10 minute programme it brought back so many memories. I thought it was going to show some of the odi highlights at St Helens from 1973. For a 9 year old cricket lover to see Boycott, Amiss, Glen Turner etc all playing an international match in Swansea was as good as it got.

We took the train up , it was then used as a football special with Chelsea going to brizzle rovers . Going home the carriages were trashed completely, Chelsea twunts