Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Carling is more piss-like than advertised

Carling is more piss-like than advertised

Well I'll be damned!

"Carling lager is 'weaker than advertised', firm says in court"

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-41059610

Re: Carling is more piss-like than advertised

All lager is piss.
    It is served as cold as possible so that you can't taste how bad it is.

Amen to that. Give me a proper ale any day - like the Gwaun Valley pint I'm drinking now following the QPR game.

Currently enjoying a bottle of Hoegaarden.
    I don't know why people bother with tasteless lagers like Carling Fosters or Budweisser to name a few

Some lager beers are very pleasant, and of high quality. Been brewed on the continent for centuries.
    Decent ale, as we know it, is a relatively recent thing. Ale of old used to be made from feck-knows-what, and was right slop.

It is a bit unfair to point at pissy cheap UK style lager as if it somehow writes all 'lager' off as poor - , there is also plenty of cheapo bitter 'ale' tinny equivalents which taste just as awful.

I'll take decent ale over decent lager every time mind ;)

Standard Carling, Fosters and Carlsberg are terrible. Poor tasting pop.

Budweiser is the worst of the premium beers. It is tasteless. Stella is headache material and tastes weird as well.

My favourites are Heineken, San Miguel, Cobra, Staropramen, 1664 and any number of continental lagers.

I don't think I've ever had a pint of lager, had a bottle of Budweiser once....utter shite!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by The Bloop View Post
    Currently enjoying a bottle of Hoegaarden.
    I don't know why people bother with tasteless lagers like Carling Fosters or Budweisser to name a few
    I love Ales and can stomach the odd wheatbeer when it's got a big slab of orange in it like Blue Moon but Hoegaarden tastes absolutely dreadful. I imagine it tastes exactly like licking a tramps arsehole

I went to one of those real ale festivals with a couple of my real ale anorak mates in the motorpoint a couple of years ago.

This guy gave us proudly a complimentary half of his ale. Ale anoraks loved it. I then took my turn and couldn't stop myself spitting it back and shouting what the feck is that. I thought he was going to cry .

Sure enough all the others I tasted like what I can only imagine they used to drink in the 17th century.

Headed to the cider section. But after a few pints of this mental juice I left them to carry on with the dishwater tasting.

Anyway just settling down to celebrate today's victory with a cold can of Carling.

Quote Originally Posted by bobh View Post
    All lager is piss.
    It is served as cold as possible so that you can't taste how bad it is.
    I think you are talking about the faux-lagers made in this country and Australia. They are a pale imitation of the real thing and there is a very good reason that it is not sold throughout countries abroad such as Belgium, Germany and the Czech Republic. It's very low quality swill.

Quote Originally Posted by WJ99mobile View Post
    I love Ales and can stomach the odd wheatbeer when it's got a big slab of orange in it like Blue Moon but Hoegaarden tastes absolutely dreadful. I imagine it tastes exactly like licking a tramps arsehole
    That's why I like it

That real ale stuff tastes like shit. Give me twelve pints of mass produced pissy lager any day.
    Last edited by ian gibson; 26-08-17 at 20:34. Reason: had twelve pints of mass produced pissy lager

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Morris View Post

Budweiser is the worst of the premium beers. It is tasteless. Stella is headache material and tastes weird as well.

My favourites are Heineken, San Miguel, Cobra, Staropramen, 1664 and any number of continental lagers.
    Agree with those, but I also really enjoy Peroni and Estrella

Quote Originally Posted by Hilts View Post
    I went to one of those real ale festivals with a couple of my real ale anorak mates in the motorpoint a couple of years ago.

This guy gave us proudly a complimentary half of his ale. Ale anoraks loved it. I then took my turn and couldn't stop myself spitting it back and shouting what the feck is that. I thought he was going to cry .

Sure enough all the others I tasted like what I can only imagine they used to drink in the 17th century.

Headed to the cider section. But after a few pints of this mental juice I left them to carry on with the dishwater tasting.

Anyway just settling down to celebrate today's victory with a cold can of Carling.
    I'm surprised you made it out alive.

First Team

Mainly agree about the mass produced lower range lagers.
    Again, a load of nonsense is often spouted by beer snobs regarding craft beers many of which are quite ' distinctive ' and fairly inaccessible to those just starting off on the ale trail.
    As an alternative there are some nice summer ales which are light and nice tasting. Fullers especially do a lovely organic honey ale which is sold by all the big supermarkets.
    For those of you who like to support local brewers many South Wales start ups are producing this type of beer so no reason not to give them a go.

"Carling advertises the lager as 4% alcohol by volume (ABV) but it has been brewed at 3.7% since 2012, its US owners Molson Coors have said.

ABV was reduced in order to cut tax on Carling products, the firm said during a hearing brought by HMRC.

Molson Coors said beer was allowed to have a natural variation of 0.5%, and said customers had not been misled.

There is no suggestion Molson Coors has broken any laws.
    "

Surely the customers have been misled? You can't have it both ways!

I like the idea of supporting local beers, and recently toured the new Tiny Rebel brewery in Newport. Excellent. Very knowledgable brewer acted as our enthusiastic guide. They're clearly doing well: and now brew a lager, too.

Korev, Cornish Lager and served on the pump in the Cambrian being our current choice, with the Peroni at the arches if we dont go to town as back up.

Look at the labels on the bottles and tins.

If it says " brewed under licence in the UK " it'll be a pale imitation of the real thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Nelsonca61 View Post
    Korev, Cornish Lager and served on the pump in the Cambrian being our current choice, with the Peroni at the arches if we dont go to town as back up.
    As mentioned above, my earlier comment was directed at the mass-produced eskimo pis... I mean lager.
    I tend to go for local ales over any lagers, even if the lagers are purported to be quality, though I once had a lovely pint of hand-pumped lager in the Newt & Cucumber (remember that??)
    I tend to avoid most lagers,

Carling fosters Carlsberg Heiniken are all the same piss with a different trade name on them.

cant beat a pint of Albright

I've never tasted piss. But if it tastes like lager I might give it a go.

First Team Forest Green Bluebird's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Morris View Post

Sakara Gold (Egypt) is top of my list.

sakara-gold-of-egyptian.jpg

Some of the US craft 'lagers' are very good. I agree with the thoughts on the UK stuff, absolute junk. If you want a real good lager/pils you need to go for CZ or my preference German, IMO

Bittburger and Warsteiner (Wobbly) are my faves.