+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: 11 years ago today

11 years ago today

Goals from Joe Ledley and Paul Parry gave us a 2-0 win over promotion favourites Birmingham City at Ninian Park.

The win meant we were top of the Championship after 5 games though we lost our next fixture at Preston. At the time we were 3 points clear with 4 wins and a draw from our opening 5 matches, scoring 7 and conceding 2 (same defensive record as we currently have). The win came the weekend after a disappointing home defeat in the League cup. Just over 20,000 crammed into Ninian Park for the game.

We would remain top of the table until the end of November, leading it by 6 points at one stage, due to a run of 11 games without a win that saw us drop out of the top 6. We briefly flirted with the playoffs with 6 wins in 9 games but won 2 points from the remaining 9 matches to finish in the bottom half.

The football that team played early in that season was among some of the best I've seen from a Cardiff side. Over the next few seasons there were games where we battered teams but whether the football was as consistently good as it was for the first few months of the 2006/7 season I'm not so sure. Even our Championship winning side was more functional than it was enjoyable at times.

We're the first side since Fulham in 2000/01 to win their first 5 league games in this division. Back then, Fulham managed an incredible 11 straight league wins from the start of the season.

Anyway, back to the team of 2006. This was the starting line up - a bit like us at present in that there were few household names (at the time) in that team:

Neil Alexander
    Kerrea Gilbert
    Kevin McNaughton
    Roger Johnson
    Glenn Loovens
    Paul Parry
    Riccardo Scimeca
    Stephen McPhail
    Joe Ledley
    Michael Chopra
    Steven Thompson

Re: 11 years ago today

Are you sure about Gilbert?
    I was watching but I dont remember him at all.
    Mind you I am thick sometimes.
    Ok maybe he only played one game!!!!

Yes, he was a regular starter during that great run of form. Sadly, like our form that season, his declined too.

Whatever happened to Gilbert?

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    Goals from Joe Ledley and Paul Parry gave us a 2-0 win over promotion favourites Birmingham City at Ninian Park.

The win meant we were top of the Championship after 5 games though we lost our next fixture at Preston. At the time we were 3 points clear with 4 wins and a draw from our opening 5 matches, scoring 7 and conceding 2 (same defensive record as we currently have). The win came the weekend after a disappointing home defeat in the League cup. Just over 20,000 crammed into Ninian Park for the game.

We would remain top of the table until the end of November, leading it by 6 points at one stage, due to a run of 11 games without a win that saw us drop out of the top 6. We briefly flirted with the playoffs with 6 wins in 9 games but won 2 points from the remaining 9 matches to finish in the bottom half.

The football that team played early in that season was among some of the best I've seen from a Cardiff side. Over the next few seasons there were games where we battered teams but whether the football was as consistently good as it was for the first few months of the 2006/7 season I'm not so sure. Even our Championship winning side was more functional than it was enjoyable at times.

We're the first side since Fulham in 2000/01 to win their first 5 league games in this division. Back then, Fulham managed an incredible 11 straight league wins from the start of the season.

Anyway, back to the team of 2006. This was the starting line up - a bit like us at present in that there were few household names (at the time) in that team:

Neil Alexander
    Kerrea Gilbert
    Kevin McNaughton
    Roger Johnson
    Glenn Loovens
    Paul Parry
    Riccardo Scimeca
    Stephen McPhail
    Joe Ledley
    Michael Chopra
    Steven Thompson
    I was only thinking of that game last week, was in Llandaff North and saw Paul Parry going into his Estate agent-letting shop-I remember the bob bank terrace being rammed, seemed like more than 20,000. Think I was at the Preston game as well, think Loovens got sent of for tripping Agyemang. I like Preston's ground, cracking floodlights.

Quote Originally Posted by WJ99mobile View Post
    PM dudders.

You line them up etc....

International

He had a nose job

August to the end of November that year was my favourite time supporting city, the football we played was out of this world.

I've only seen 2 games in person this year but the rest on ifollow and it reminds me of that season.

I thought Gilbert would player regular for Arsenal after his first few games mind

Selliing crack in Croydon.

Quote Originally Posted by itkman View Post
    PM dudders.

You line them up etc....
    Whatever happened to him? Has he returned from exile?

Fantastic day for Cardiff city.

Think we have a much more clued up manager this time, early days but it's all good.

Scimeca got injured and our form suffered after that.
    Spedger

Quote Originally Posted by Sloop_Jon_Bee View Post
    Scimeca got injured and our form suffered after that.
    Spedger
    Not quite.

He started the first 30 games of that season, which included a dreadful run of 11 without a win, scoring only 5 goals in the process. He got injured early on against Leicester at the end of January (where interestingly the crowd had dropped from 20,000 for the Birmingham match to 12,000) when we were 6th in the table. We were 7th in the table when he came back a month later, managing a 4-1 rout of Preston on his return, and we were 7th after he made his last full 90 minutes against Southampton. He missed the defeat at Derby and only lasted 45 minutes at home to Sunderland and his season was over.

Would we have made the playoffs that season had he not been injured for the run-in? I doubt it very much. The sparkle of the early season performances had long gone. Discounting the games against Leicester and Sunderland where Jones pulled him off we won 3 of the last 16 games where he played 90 minutes (or most of).

I think the slump was a team wide issue. Scimeca was exceptional at the start of the season but, like others in the team, it didn't last.

Not quite.

He started the first 30 games of that season, which included a dreadful run of 11 without a win, scoring only 5 goals in the process. He got injured early on against Leicester at the end of January (where interestingly the crowd had dropped from 20,000 for the Birmingham match to 12,000) when we were 6th in the table. We were 7th in the table when he came back a month later, managing a 4-1 rout of Preston on his return, and we were 7th after he made his last full 90 minutes against Southampton. He missed the defeat at Derby and only lasted 45 minutes at home to Sunderland and his season was over.

Would we have made the playoffs that season had he not been injured for the run-in? I doubt it very much. The sparkle of the early season performances had long gone. Discounting the games against Leicester and Sunderland where Jones pulled him off we won 3 of the last 16 games where he played 90 minutes (or most of).

I think the slump was a team wide issue. Scimeca was exceptional at the start of the season but, like others in the team, it didn't last.

For some reason after that game, the Birmingham team coach came through canton. It ended up having to jump a red light outside the cross.

I was as happy after that game as I'd been watching city for many many years. The football was out of this world and it was hard to see how we wouldn't storm the title playing like that. Maybe a lesson to be learnt for the current season?

Quote Originally Posted by Steve R View Post
    Unusual contract clause.

Neil Alexander
    Kerrea Gilbert
    Kevin McNaughton
    Roger Johnson
    Glenn Loovens
    Paul Parry
    Riccardo Scimeca
    Stephen McPhail
    Joe Ledley
    Michael Chopra
    Steven Thompson
    A good side .

Quote Originally Posted by itkman View Post
    PM dudders.

You line them up etc....
    Why can't someone cripticaly say what happened ,are we scared??

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    It became a message board joke. Poor dudders' must have had close to a hundred PM's. People remember the joke probably better than the actual story.

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    Selliing crack in Croydon.
    Whats his number bruv

Agree the football we played for a few months under Dave Jones was some of the best I've ever seen down city.

Has anyone got a link to the team goal we scored up at Barnsley on the first game of the season, think it won Championship goal of the year award. Can't find it anywhere on Youtube though

Quote Originally Posted by Steve R View Post
    A hero is amongst us in the guise of Steve R😉😉