+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: So was sacrificing the League Cup worth it?

So was sacrificing the League Cup worth it?

I'm still pissed that we got beat on Tuesday, but it's hard to be unhappy when our league record is so good.

Re: So was sacrificing the League Cup worth it?

think warnock got it right . the burton game is a distance memory

the players put out were capable of winning Tuesday. I don't care that we got dumped out but the fact that half the players just didn't try pisses me off.

People travel to the game, sometimes longer travel than the game itself. Pay their tickets and then watch that shower of shit.

Hope we don't do the same on the FA Cup, regardless where we are in the league.

Not too bothered about the carabao cup, but I'd like to see us take the fa cup a little more seriously

Theres no reason why we couldn't have won both and thats frustrating. If it was Burton OR QPR we would all have chosen today but that wasn't the equation. However, part of me thinks if we had drawn Man Utd that might have been a distraction for the games following it. How could you put a second string out against them without fear of humiliation and that might have knocked us back. Shite, Ive talked myself around to "glad we lost Tuesday"

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Morris View Post
    I'm still pissed that we got beat on Tuesday, but it's hard to be unhappy when our league record is so good.
    Human nature is to want to win. Win every game.
    We all know that is virtually impossible.

That said, I do not believe that a team is picked with the intention of seeing them go out to lose a game.
    What I do believe is a manager selects a team that will show him strengths and weaknesses of individuals. Are they battlers or pacifists?
    NW will have learnt much from the loss against Burton, as I'm sure he did against Fulham in the FA cup last season.
    People to gamble on, areas where we need to strengthen etc.. and whilst not being happy about what he saw, I doubt was too disappointed from being beaten.

Somebody posted the schedule of games we would have faced had we won that game and it was horrendous, was it 4 games in 10 days?
    My bet is we would have had to have tested some and rested others (perhaps some picking up injuries) at some stage in those 10 days so why not let it be earlier rather than later?

It has been mentioned before but worth reiterating. City may well have got promotion the year we got beat at Wembley by Liverpool. We were knackered come the playoffs. Great memories, so close to a cup.win and a promotion but in the end neither.

Ask yourself one question though. Do I want a cup run with an outside chance of winning it or do I want a chance to gain promotion, or more realistically a playoff place?

I know my answer and I bet Neil's is the same.

Don't thing Warnock would sacrifice any football game.

Apparently anyone who thinks Warnock was right to rotate the squad in an effort to improve our league fortunes is living in cloud cuckoo land

Stand up the idiotic flower seller

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    Apparently anyone who thinks Warnock was right to rotate the squad in an effort to improve our league fortunes is living in cloud cuckoo land Stand up the idiotic flower seller
    But didn't Warlock himself say after the Wolves game ""Our fans get carried away, they are in cuckoo land at times because they haven't seen this for a while".

Carnation anyone?

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Morris View Post
    To answer the question you posed in the thread title, no way - but then I'm an old fogey who would be written off as being out of tune with modern football thinking!

However, if what I have read is true that we would have, like Burton, ended up with a trip to Old Trafford in Round Three if we had beaten them, then the money to be made from that match may have given us the means to bring in a better quality midfielder this week who could have made a difference to any promotion challenge.

I honestly could not care less about the Caribou Cup.

Quote Originally Posted by surge View Post
    Don't thing Warnock would sacrifice any football game.
    Agreed. It was hardly sacrificed. He just wanted to win it with our B-Team.

Personally I wanted our cup to run atleast a little longer. It's the only way we are getting to see our big summer signing this season!

Quote Originally Posted by TH63 View Post
    Not too bothered about the carabao cup, but I'd like to see us take the fa cup a little more seriously
    My thoughts exactly.

Quote Originally Posted by WJ99mobile View Post
    the players put out were capable of winning Tuesday. I don't care that we got dumped out but the fact that half the players just didn't try pisses me off.

People travel to the game, sometimes longer travel than the game itself. Pay their tickets and then watch that shower of shit.

Hope we don't do the same on the FA Cup, regardless where we are in the league.
    Very true.

Yes it was ,we don't need distractions .

For me, yes it was worth it.

For NW, I see it like this:
    - The club will earn lots more revenue if we get promoted. The revenue from winning the Carabao Cup is, I assume, pretty small in comparison.
    - Therefore I bet NW is on a huge bonus from VT to get us promoted (and a small or even zero bonus for winning the Carabao Cup).
    - Hence the team put out vs. Burton Tuesday & I would guess some apathy from NW - like Fulham last year.