+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Interesting Statistics

Interesting Statistics

Highest Average Shots on Goal Per Match:
    Cardiff City - 7.4 (Total = 37)

Lowest is Burton Albion with 2.4 shots on target per match, however surprisingly Ipswich Town in 2nd place are ranked 23rd with an average of 2.6 shots on target per match.

Lowest Average Possession Per Match:
    Cardiff City - 41.7%

Cardiff average the lowest average possession so far this season. Millwall (41.8%) and again interestingly Ipswich Town (43.3%) represent the next two lowest average possession stats in the Championship.

Lowest Successful Passes Per Match:
    Cardiff City - 172.8 (62.2%)

Cardiff have the worst pass record in the division, with Millwall their closest neighbours averaging 195.6 successful passes per game, and Ipswich crop up again with the 3rd worst record in the league with 220.4 successful passes per game.

For me this made interesting reading as fans and pundits tend to go crazy for possession and passing statistics. And 5 games into the season, the team dominating these statistics are 22nd in the league with 4 points to their name. This team averages 60.5% possession per game and also boasts the best passing record as well in the league with an average of 473.4 successful passes per game (83.8% of total), that's 300.6 passes more than Cardiff City. This team is Norwich City, and despite the "impressive' statistics that put them top of possession and passing statistics, they somehow have the worst defensive record in the league, conceding 12 goals in their opening 12 fixtures, an average of 2.4 goals per game.

Interesting to see how the main statistic pundits tend to go to beyond shots on target, don't appear to paint the complete picture on how well a team is performing on the pitch.

International

Re: Interesting Statistics

Quote Originally Posted by SuisseBluebird View Post
    Highest Average Shots on Goal Per Match:
    Cardiff City - 7.4 (Total = 37)

Lowest is Burton Albion with 2.4 shots on target per match, however surprisingly Ipswich Town in 2nd place are ranked 23rd with an average of 2.6 shots on target per match.

Lowest Average Possession Per Match:
    Cardiff City - 41.7%

Cardiff average the lowest average possession so far this season. Millwall (41.8%) and again interestingly Ipswich Town (43.3%) represent the next two lowest average possession stats in the Championship.

Lowest Successful Passes Per Match:
    Cardiff City - 172.8 (62.2%)

Cardiff have the worst pass record in the division, with Millwall their closest neighbours averaging 195.6 successful passes per game, and Ipswich crop up again with the 3rd worst record in the league with 220.4 successful passes per game.

For me this made interesting reading as fans and pundits tend to go crazy for possession and passing statistics. And 5 games into the season, the team dominating these statistics are 22nd in the league with 4 points to their name. This team averages 60.5% possession per game and also boasts the best passing record as well in the league with an average of 473.4 successful passes per game (83.8% of total), that's 300.6 passes more than Cardiff City. This team is Norwich City, and despite the "impressive' statistics that put them top of possession and passing statistics, they somehow have the worst defensive record in the league, conceding 12 goals in their opening 12 fixtures, an average of 2.4 goals per game.

Interesting to see how the main statistic pundits tend to go to beyond shots on target, don't appear to paint the complete picture on how well a team is performing on the pitch.
    How does that work?

Today our possession stat was 51%

About as interesting as piles

An obvious misprint should be 5 but I'm sure you don't need me to telly out that.

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    About as interesting as piles
    I would beg to differ football forum for Cardiff City and this is a thread relating to statistics on the club and others in the same league.

But if you want to find a subtle way to steer the conversation towards piles, feel free, perhaps you suffer from it and need a cream recommendation? I'm sure someone will be a good sport and help you out.

Quote Originally Posted by SuisseBluebird View Post
    I would beg to differ football forum for Cardiff City and this is a thread relating to statistics on the club and others in the same league.

But if you want to find a subtle way to steer the conversation towards piles, feel free, perhaps you suffer from it and need a cream recommendation? I'm sure someone will be a good sport and help you out.
    I thought it was interesting, thanks for posting