+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Alex Smithies.

Alex Smithies.

Big if I know, but if we did go up, I wouldn't be surprised at all if we tried to sign Smithies next summer, based on what Neil Warnock had to say about him in his post game press conference,

Re: Alex Smithies.

I noticed a number of our players talking to Smithies at the end of the game - obviously a complete coincidence, but I found it interesting.

How much do you reckon he'd cost?

I hate to shit on such a good team but can't help but feel Etheridge will cost us a game or two down the line. And I felt that way before yesterday's blunder.

Any idea when Camp is back from injury?

Quote Originally Posted by Carl Dale's Mole View Post

I hate to shit on such a good team but can't help but feel Etheridge will cost us a game or two down the line. And I felt that way before yesterday's blunder.

Camp's back in training apparently, so you'd think he'd play a Development team game quite soon after the fixtures start again.

Smithies is under contract until 2020 at QPR, so you'd be talking about a few million for him I'd say.

Quote Originally Posted by Carl Dale's Mole View Post

Agreed.

Let's hope he cuts out a few of those mistakes which could cost us as Camp will be pretty determined to keep his place if Etheridge slips up. I do think Etheridge is a good keeper though and I think he is humble and intelligent enough to learn pretty quickly.

I also read somewhere that Smithies turned around and clapped the fans in the Canton End at the end of the game.
    That's rare for an opposing keeper

Thought he looked more dodgy than Etheridge.

Quote Originally Posted by Lawnmower View Post
    I also read somewhere that Smithies turned around and clapped the fans in the Canton End at the end of the game.
    That's rare for an opposing keeper
    Yes he did which I thought was strange as the fans hadn't been one way or other with him

As for etheridge he got an important hand on a goal bound shot at the end of the game. For me I've only seen him at home and he looks good enough not to worry about.

I felt our back four looked the most nervous they have all season and maybe matt Smith unsettled them

Apparently etheridge went on Twitter after the game and thanked his teammates for getting him out of jail so he obviously humble enough to admit his part in the goal.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bob Banker Spanker View Post
    Thought he looked more dodgy than Etheridge.
    Agree some good stops but any keeper worth their salt would have clattered Hoilett and stopped our first goal
    ( ball first of course)

Quote Originally Posted by Nobody's Rep View Post
    Yes he did which I thought was strange as the fans hadn't been one way or other with him

As for etheridge he got an important hand on a goal bound shot at the end of the game. For me I've only seen him at home and he looks good enough not to worry about.

I felt our back four looked the most nervous they have all season and maybe matt Smith unsettled them

Apparently etheridge went on Twitter after the game and thanked his teammates for getting him out of jail so he obviously humble enough to admit his part in the goal.
    Perhaps he just appreciated a set of home fans who really back their side.

Not many clubs have an end that is as vociferous as the Canton Stand is at the moment in my experience of away travel. Certainly not QPR who are very quiet at home these days.

Quote Originally Posted by Wokingbluebird View Post
    Agree some good stops but any keeper worth their salt would have clattered Hoilett and stopped our first goal
    ( ball first of course)
    And got sent off in the process. Didn't Smithies get ball first and look what happened?

Quote Originally Posted by Lawnmower View Post
    Perhaps he just appreciated a set of home fans who really back their side.

Not many clubs have an end that is as vociferous as the Canton Stand is at the moment in my experience of away travel. Certainly not QPR who are very quiet at home these days.
    Fair point and maybe it is a reflection that the club is together at the moment and focussed on the good that is happening rather than the issues of the last couple of seasons

Quote Originally Posted by Wokingbluebird View Post
    ( ball first of course)
    I've just had another look at the video to confirm that if Smithies had "clattered" Hoillet, he would have in all probability given away a penalty and got his team reduced to ten men. We would never have scored that goal if QPR were not so nervous about our pace and acceleration up front. Zohore was able to make a nuisance of himself and he was able to put Onuoha, as well as Caulker under pressure. Then Hoilett was so quick that by the time the ball reached Smithies it was like a fifty fifty tackle with Hoilett, not a situation where the keeper could clear the ball and then clear the City player out - keepers are always going to get blamed to some degree for goals like that, but I'm not sure what Smithies could have done differently, given the speed with which Hoilett closed him down.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    I've just had another look at the video to confirm that if Smithies had "clattered" Hoillet, he would have in all probability given away a penalty and got his team reduced to ten men. We would never have scored that goal if QPR were not so nervous about our pace and acceleration up front. Zohore was able to make a nuisance of himself and he was able to put Onuoha, as well as Caulker under pressure. Then Hoilett was so quick that by the time the ball reached Smithies it was like a fifty fifty tackle with Hoilett, not a situation where the keeper could clear the ball and then clear the City player out - keepers are always going to get blamed to some degree for goals like that, but I'm not sure what Smithies could have done differently, given the speed with which Hoilett closed him down.
    I need another look but from where I was sitting it seemed as if he was not fully committed and the first footage I seen did seem to back that up.
    Not sure if taking the ball first warrants a sending off but i am old school !

I think this was just Warnocks way of saying we battered them.

What I did like about Etheridge is he still kept coming off his line and tried to dominate the box.

He made one bad decision. Harsh to call him dodgy.

It was a bad mistake from etheridge but he made up for it I think. Good save in the first half from a shot going right in the corner, and he did well at the end to save us 3 points.

Yeah I felt like it was Warnocks way of saying we could've won by a lot more..the type of comments I used to hate, and now I love

Quote Originally Posted by Hilts View Post
    I think this was just Warnocks way of saying we battered them.

What I did like about Etheridge is he still kept coming off his line and tried to dominate the box.

He made one bad decision. Harsh to call him dodgy.
    I think an error of judgment a couple of minutes earlier led to yesterday's mistake. QPR played a long ball through which Etheridge should have dealt with but he stayed on his line and left a back-tracking Bamba to deal with it instead. A similar thing happened a couple of weeks ago and Bamba wasn't happy so I guessed he'd lay into Etheridge again and he did, shouting to him and waving his arms. When the next cross came over Etheridge probably felt he had to go for it this time but completely misjudged it.

It was an odd situation. Bamba had done nothing wrong either time yet still may have felt slightly responsible for unsettling Etheridge by criticising him earlier. When our first goal went in, he ran back to Etheridge to talk to him and give him a pat on the back. A nice gesture. As you say, he seemed confident and assured after that, hopefully it's behind him already. Too early to call him dodgy, I agree.

Blue in the Face

Quote Originally Posted by AfricanBluebird View Post
    Agreed.

Let's hope he cuts out a few of those mistakes which could cost us as Camp will be pretty determined to keep his place if Etheridge slips up. I do think Etheridge is a good keeper though and I think he is humble and intelligent enough to learn pretty quickly.
    Etheridge seems to have a natural talent. He's got great reflexes. My hope is that he gets better and doesn't give Camp a shot by proving to be the better keeper.

**** caulker