+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Wales v Austria build up

Wales v Austria build up

Massive game next Saturday.
    Allen and Taylor suspended but it looks like our key players have come through unscathed.
    However Ramsey subbed at half time and Bale anonymous and subbed for Real Madrid tonight. We will need these to be at their best.

Blue in the Face

Re: Wales v Austria build up

The club form for Rambo/Bale doesn't seem to have an effect on their Welsh performances in the past. I'm delighted that they're both unscathed. Dissapointing that Rambo was poor in a deeper position though as he's likely to have to play something close to that for us. That doesn't mean he can't pull that role off for us, he just needs to leave Arsenal. Didn't he have the best defensive stats of any midfielder in the prem a few years ago?

Sorry for the mention of stats.

Do or die this game. Not overly confident tbh.

And so it begins: http://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/f...leman-13538581

The closer the game gets the less confident I become

Nothing but a win will do but knowing Coleman he'll take a draw Allen will be a big miss especially with Ledley not playing for so long

Blue in the Face

Did Rambo play advanced or deep against Liverpool? I read he's getting blamed for leaked goals. But what it that he just played bad?

Quote Originally Posted by Blue in the Face View Post
    Did Rambo play advanced or deep against Liverpool? I read he's getting blamed for leaked goals. But what it that he just played bad?
    He was everywhere he shouldn't have been yesterday. As awful a display of positional indiscipline that you are likely to see.
    Hopefully he will be keen to redeem his battered reputation this coming Saturday.

Bale, something's not right with him at Madrid at the moment, he seems to be really struggling for confidence. I don't think playing upfront in a 2 with his back to goal is helping. That said when he did pull out wide he didn't have the confidence to knock it past a defender, as we've seen him do so many times for Wales, and he just kept going back to his fullback.

Hopefully as he is the go to man for Wales he will be a bit more positive with the ball.

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    He was everywhere he shouldn't have been yesterday. As awful a display of positional indiscipline that you are likely to see.
    Hopefully he will be keen to redeem his battered reputation this coming Saturday.

Bale, something's not right with him at Madrid at the moment, he seems to be really struggling for confidence. I don't think playing upfront in a 2 with his back to goal is helping. That said when he did pull out wide he didn't have the confidence to knock it past a defender, as we've seen him do so many times for Wales, and he just kept going back to his fullback.

Hopefully as he is the go to man for Wales he will be a bit more positive with the ball.
    Yeah agreed about Bale. Worse case scenario is that we go into the Austria game without Ramsey and Allen and with an out of form Bale. Our midfield would simply not be good enough. We need both Ramsey and Bale fit for Austria. Hopefully Ramsey just has bruising and will be fit. We could end up with King,Edwards and Ledley in central midfield and that is simply nowhere near good enough

I'll be there but at the moment my enthusiasm for the game is zero.

Quote Originally Posted by TH63 View Post
    I'm tempted to go Edgbaston instead as this Austria game could finish off our chances. As long as Ramsey and Bale are fit we have a real chance of winning though. Come Saturday night and a packed stadium you will feel differently.

If the players are coming in on less than good form then it will be up to the fans to give them the boost and support they need. We have a massive role to play over the next four games and if you can walk away thinking you could have clapped more, sung more or stayed more positive and didn't then we are in a weaker position because of it. Get to the ground early, wear red and believe in that together stronger message.

Quote Originally Posted by surge View Post
    If the players are coming in on less than good form then it will be up to the fans to give them the boost and support they need. We have a massive role to play over the next four games and if you can walk away thinking you could have clapped more, sung more or stayed more positive and didn't then we are in a weaker position because of it. Get to the ground early, wear red and believe in that together stronger message.
    100% agreed. Think Belgium in Cardiff in June 2015. The noise when Bale scored genuinely knocked the stuffing out of Belgium. I'm sure we will be loud on Saturday night.

Why?

It is do or die as others have said

1 euros and our fans expectations have completely changed it looks like. We are entitled to nothing!.

Quote Originally Posted by LordKenwyne View Post
    Why?

1 euros and our fans expectations have completely changed it looks like. We are entitled to nothing!.
    There should be expectations Lord K. We have never ever properly qualified for a World Cup finals other than via the back door in 1958. If the likes of Northern Ireland and Israel can qualify why can't we?

Quote Originally Posted by Pearcey3 View Post
    There should be expectations Lord K. We have never ever properly qualified for a World Cup finals other than via the back door in 1958. If the likes of Northern Ireland and Israel can qualify why can't we?
    I know there are bigger expectations now but I mean as in we shouldnt give up because it is looking unlikely.

If we were in this position pre France Id say we'd all be pretty happy.

4 games left and two of the big ties are at home. Come on!!!!!!!!!!!!

By the 6th of september we will either be long gone or right in the mixer at the top of the group.

Austria and moldova are in our way. Not a ridiculously big task.

Quote Originally Posted by LordKenwyne View Post
    Why?

I just haven't enjoyed the games so far to be honest, I just don't feel inspired this fixture. I'm looking forward to the Ireland game but that's probably more about the craic than the game.
    It's got nothing to do with the euros, I was going to Wales games back in the 80's.

If we get overrun in midfield we will lose the game so if Ledley starts, I hope to god he has been training everyday since July 1st. Otherwise he might be gone by 50-60 mins. Putting Ramsey in the Joe Allen role would be suicide for us I should think.

I assume Coleman will go with -

Hennessey

Chester Williams Davies

Gunter Edwards Ledley Richards

Bale Ramsey

Vokes

Though I would prefer a 4-3-3

Hennessey

Gunter Chester Williams Davies

Edwards Ramsey Ledley

Bale Vokes HRK

Isn't the Welsh love fest over yet??

I just haven't enjoyed the games so far to be honest, I just don't feel inspired this fixture. I'm looking forward to the Ireland game but that's probably more about the craic than the game.
    It's got nothing to do with the euros, I was going to Wales games back in the 80's.
    Ye I agree we've been disappointing.

Georgia should have beaten us by at least 2 goals.

If wales cant qualify Ill give my ticket away for the ireland game. I cant be in that ground if theyre celebrating.

Quote Originally Posted by Zenith View Post
    If we get overrun in midfield we will lose the game so if Ledley starts, I hope to god he has been training everyday since July 1st. Otherwise he might be gone by 50-60 mins. Putting Ramsey in the Joe Allen role would be suicide for us I should think.

I assume Coleman will go with -

Hennessey

Chester Williams Davies

Gunter Edwards Ledley Richards

Bale Ramsey

Vokes

Though I would prefer a 4-3-3

Hennessey

Gunter Chester Williams Davies

Edwards Ramsey Ledley

Bale Vokes HRK
    If Coleman wants to keep his two number 10s we could go with something like this:
    ---------------Hennessey
    Gunter--Chester--Williams--Davies
    ----Ramsey--Ledley--Edwards
    ---------Bale-------Lawrence
    ---------------Vokes

If we're to have any chance of winning we're going to need Ramsey to look for the ball deep to link up play, otherwise I fear the bell will get nowhere near our attacking players especially if we have some combination of Edwards/Ledley/King as a midfield duo

To play Ramsey in the Allen role (which is where he was for Arsenal more or less and was torn apart) would be suicidal so I'd rather see him as part of a midfield three with two of Ledley/King/Edwards protecting the defence to allow Ramsey to burst forward

Unfortunately I can see Coleman being incredibly stubborn and sticking with the 5 at the back and us maybe drawing or losing by a goal

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    Isn't the Welsh love fest over yet??
    No love of your country is for life not just the Euros

I'd be tempted to bring on the lad Woodburn

I think Coleman will go with Hennessey in goal, Gunter and Richards as wing backs with Williams, Chester and Davies in central defence. Ledley in a defensive midfield position with King and Ramsey in central midfield. Bale to play in roving role and HRK up top.

Quote Originally Posted by Pearcey3 View Post
    I think Coleman will go with Hennessey in goal, Gunter and Richards as wing backs with Williams, Chester and Davies in central defence. Ledley in a defensive midfield position with King and Ramsey in central midfield. Bale to play in roving role and HRK up top.
    *Shudders*

Would rather see Woodburn have a go than King, but I agree that Coleman will probably go with King

All focus shifting to this game now, massive opportunity to win as Austria have many injuries and players out of favour with their clubs.

Also no Guido Burgstaller.