+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone recommend any gyms in S Wales?

Anyone recommend any gyms in S Wales?

I live near Llantrisant but the local one is £35 per month. Cardiff is not a problem as I drive.

In need of a personal trainer too so if you can recommend someone who is easy to deal with that would be great.

As some of you know my partner split up with me a few weeks back and obviously left me deal with all of the feckin rent and bills so want to keep to a budget.
    I feel like a ****ing mug lads and still struggling to recover 2 weeks on but she is doing great and seems to not give a feck so if I can hit the gym for a few hours everyday and get in some exercise at home in between work I'll be pleased. Thanks to whoever recommended exercise in the original thread as it has stuck in my mind and I've been doing it for the past 10 days and increasing my pain threshold. If i can get in some sort of decent shape by November I'll be happy.

A few weeks ago I couldn't stomach any food and was heaving through every meal, don't know if that's just me but I found it so difficult and probably lost 9-10lbs. Now I'm eating proper for the first time in a long time and feel good about it - still struggling to stomach more than 1500 calories because my head isn't right and simultaneously turned into the slowest eater ever but I'm getting there.

I'm already a skinny guy with a very low body fat percentage so hoping I can keep this up and look bloody fantastic fellas.

Re: Anyone recommend any gyms in S Wales?

Quote Originally Posted by Zenith View Post
    I live near Llantrisant but the local one is £35 per month. Cardiff is not a problem as I drive.

In need of a personal trainer too so if you can recommend someone who is easy to deal with that would be great.

As some of you know my partner split up with me a few weeks back and obviously left me deal with all of the feckin rent and bills so want to keep to a budget.
    I feel like a ****ing mug lads and still struggling to recover 2 weeks on but she is doing great and seems to not give a feck so if I can hit the gym for a few hours everyday and get in some exercise at home in between work I'll be pleased. Thanks to whoever recommended exercise in the original thread as it has stuck in my mind and I've been doing it for the past 10 days and increasing my pain threshold. If i can get in some sort of decent shape by November I'll be happy.

A few weeks ago I couldn't stomach any food and was heaving through every meal, don't know if that's just me but I found it so difficult and probably lost 9-10lbs. Now I'm eating proper for the first time in a long time and feel good about it - still struggling to stomach more than 1500 calories because my head isn't right and simultaneously turned into the slowest eater ever but I'm getting there.

I'm already a skinny guy with a very low body fat percentage so hoping I can keep this up and look bloody fantastic fellas.
    £35 isnt that expensive for a private gym. I pay £30.

In RCT there are lower prices if your in a certain occupation at the Leisure Centres.

Quote Originally Posted by Hilts View Post
    £35 isnt that expensive for a private gym. I pay £30.

In RCT there are lower prices if your in a certain occupation at the Leisure Centres.
    My cousin is paying £14 p/m in Birmingham so wondering if there is something similar locally.

Not sure how much DW is these days (my local one in llanishen is about £17) but they're pretty good

My cousin is paying £14 p/m in Birmingham so wondering if there is something similar locally.
    25-35 up in Merthyr depending on wether you're a civil servant, or if your company has a discount agreement with the gym.

14 a month sounds extremely cheap.

Where do you work? Llantrisant leisure centre used to be decent.

To be honest, £35 is about the going rate

Thats cheap. Just looked as ive heard EasyGym is Cardiff is cheap. They advertise £18.99 - dont know if theres any catch or restrictions as thats seems very cheap.

https://www.easygym.co.uk/locations/gym-cardiff

Get your self around your local boxing gym it will cost you peanuts.

Quote Originally Posted by TH63 View Post
    Not sure how much DW is these days (my local one in llanishen is about £17) but they're pretty good
    I think that figure is the discounted rate. DW is around the £30 mark. Believe they have offers on occupation etc though. Good gyms though ive been told.

Quote Originally Posted by WJ99mobile View Post
    Where do you work? Llantrisant leisure centre used to be decent.

To be honest, £35 is about the going rate
    I am self employed mate.

I am self employed mate.
    Join the Village at Coryton put it against tax refundable business meetings in the Gym and fabulous pool. Membership is from 35 ,pool makes it worthwhile, gym is top end ,many other personal training rooms, 10/20% off food ,stay ,beer and 90 inch footy screen in the bar ,bingo.

Quote Originally Posted by Hilts View Post
    I think that figure is the discounted rate. DW is around the £30 mark. Believe they have offers on occupation etc though. Good gyms though ive been told.
    The DW by the stadium is about that price, my local gym doesn't have a pool or class rooms so is a lot cheaper

Join a Taekwondo class

The DW gym in Llanishen, Cardiff, is £17.95 a month with no contract. It doesn't have a pool, but the facilities are pretty good and the staff are very friendly and helpful. It rarely seems to get too busy, which is a bonus. Bit of a journey from Llantrisant, but it's a decent gym if you're in the area.

DW merthyr are ripping everyone off then it was 30 quid and over when I was there.

and I heard numerous stories of them being terrible when you try to end a contract. They were ok with me

Quote Originally Posted by LordKenwyne View Post
    DW merthyr are ripping everyone off then it was 30 quid and over when I was there.
    Does it have a pool? If so, that will be the price difference. The DW gyms seem to be priced at around the £30 mark if they have a pool, steam room, etc, or £17.95 if they are just basic gyms.

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    The DW gym in Llanishen, Cardiff, is £17.95 a month with no contract. It doesn't have a pool, but the facilities are pretty good and the staff are very friendly and helpful. It rarely seems to get too busy, which is a bonus. Bit of a journey from Llantrisant, but it's a decent gym if you're in the area.
    Llanishen probably too far as I am only there once every 2 weeks or so. Central probably better as it is only a 20 min drive, not fussed about pool or sauna or anything like that just gym is fine.

DW Merthyr was 35 a month 10 years ago but they were the only decent gym in town.
    A few gyms have popped up in last 5 years so I assume they had to review their prices.

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    Join the Village at Coryton put it against tax refundable business meetings in the Gym and fabulous pool. Membership is from 35 ,pool makes it worthwhile, gym is top end ,many other personal training rooms, 10/20% off food ,stay ,beer and 90 inch footy screen in the bar ,bingo.
    That's where I go and enjoy it.

Sometimes see Jason Mohammed down there too. #celebs

Llanishen probably too far as I am only there once every 2 weeks or so. Central probably better as it is only a 20 min drive, not fussed about pool or sauna or anything like that just gym is fine.
    Get a guest pass to Cross Fit Llantrisant. If you want to get ripped to impress new women that's the place to go.

Alternatively locate every gym within 10 miles and try every one with a guest pass and see what works for you. The further the gym is away the less motivated you'll be.

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    That's my club. I used to be a member of the one by the ground but found I was going to see my PT in llanishen more often, plus it was closer to home. Not that I go there enough anymore

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    DW Merthyr was 35 a month 10 years ago but they were the only decent gym in town.
    A few gyms have popped up in last 5 years so I assume they had to review their prices.
    I used to be a member of Rhydycar when i was working in Merthyr. That was cheaper than DW.

Think DW was around £35 then. I thought if you joined DW you had access to all DW gyms.

I know they started doing discounts for Civil Servants and other corporate memberships as well though.

If the ones are doing £17.95 where they dont have pools without the corporate discount then thats a great deal.

Obviously its a great price if its a discounted rate if you can get it anyway.

Seems like this gym business is a growth industry these days, they are everywhere. Anyone remember the time when the only place in Cardiff that was serious about weight training was the gym in the old central boys club at the top of Bute street? what a place that was, proper hardcore gym, no fancy machines just loads of iron.

Quote Originally Posted by ian gibson View Post
    Seems like this gym business is a growth industry these days, they are everywhere. Anyone remember the time when the only place in Cardiff that was serious about weight training was the gym in the old central boys club at the top of Bute street? what a place that was, proper hardcore gym, no fancy machines just loads of iron.
    What about the one that was behind the ROYAL OAK, (in ROATH).

Quote Originally Posted by ian gibson View Post
    Can never tell with ian gibson whether the puns are intentional or not.