+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Colin Jackson has come out

Re: Colin Jackson has come out

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    Probably the reason he's done it now he's not famous anymore. Hoping to get a programme or two out of it.

It's 2017 ffs. 50 year old man who was a good sportsman 20 years ago comes out as gay. Big deal.
    Agree with there. I doubt most people even know who he is anymore, so they certainly ain't gonna give a shit about how he likes his eggs in the morning

He is still a key part of BBC Athletics coverage and despite some silly comments on here is
    famous in the UK and the wider world. At least he has " come out " unlike pathetic footballers who
    pretend to be straight and aren't.
    Some of you posters still live in the stone age ffs.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueWales View Post
    He is still a key part of BBC Athletics coverage and despite some silly comments on here is
    famous in the UK and the wider world. At least he has " come out " unlike pathetic footballers who
    Indeed, these people that "don't give a ****" always seem to be on these threads telling others they don't give a ****.

Quote Originally Posted by Wales-Bales View Post
    So we shouldn't mention the relationship status of people who are close to us because it's nobody elses business?
    I see it as a private matter and no one should feel forced to declare their sexuality. It's the 21st Century. Most of us don't care. There will be some sad bigots who dislike it but so what.Society has moved on.

Blue in the Face

Quote Originally Posted by surge View Post
    The first headline I saw phrased it as "spoken openly about his sexuality for the first time" which probably would have avoided the quips seen in this thread. Still, as surprising as it may or may not be, do we need those quips? Show support for a great Welsh sportsman and help make it easier for others to speak openly.
    Totally disagree Surge. What you're saying is really dangerous. I don't want to live in a society where certain subjects are off limits for jokes (good or bad). If the goal is to be treated equally, then the opportunity to take the Michael should apply for gay folks as much as it would for heteros.

I wouldn't call people "pretending to be straight" pathetic. However, share your disappointment in how some posters have reacted.

One may consider that Gareth Thomas rode the publicity from coming out far too long however initially it was another fine Welsh sportsman speaking honestly and looking to help others in a less privileged position. The media reaction, and whatever he did next, is separate and doesn't extinguish the fact that all he was doing was speaking honestly.

So ok, dislike how the media are keen for a story and blow everything out of proportion, but have you read the article where Colin explained why he was speaking about it for the first time? Because it was a programme about the impact on his sporting Life rather than anything else.

Why is coming out still a big deal? See the poster calling him a poof or the poster(s) judging his motivation for speaking about his sexuality. No straight sportsperson has to consider how talking openly about their partner will be taken.

If you don't think anyone needs to come out and for it to be treated as a big deal? Brilliant. Make that happen by treating it as a non event, give a quick word of support and move on.

FFS, this isn't **** or planet swamp.

a bit like Jackson did for years then, denying he was gay.

Quote Originally Posted by Pearcey3 View Post
    I see it as a private matter and no one should feel forced to declare their sexuality. It's the 21st Century. Most of us don't care. There will be some sad bigots who dislike it but so what.Society has moved on.
    It's not so much that they have to declare it but it means they can live their life without worrying about the press leaking their secret.

Basically you come out and then the "scoop" is done and you can get on with your life.

He must have a book launch coming

I honestly thought Colin J was already out.
    FWIW.
    I neither mind nor care.

Quote Originally Posted by Sgt. Pepper View Post
    I honestly thought Colin J was already out.
    FWIW.
    I neither mind nor care.
    I neither mind nor care. I just don't see the need for anyone to come out any more. It was different when there was so much intolerance towards homosexuality but society has progressed and I believe the mast majority of us are not homophobic. It's been an open secret that Jackson was gay anyway.

I wouldn't call people "pretending to be straight" pathetic. However, share your disappointment in how some posters have reacted.

One may consider that Gareth Thomas rode the publicity from coming out far too long however initially it was another fine Welsh sportsman speaking honestly and looking to help others in a less privileged position. The media reaction, and whatever he did next, is separate and doesn't extinguish the fact that all he was doing was speaking honestly.

So ok, dislike how the media are keen for a story and blow everything out of proportion, but have you read the article where Colin explained why he was speaking about it for the first time? Because it was a programme about the impact on his sporting Life rather than anything else.

Why is coming out still a big deal? See the poster calling him a poof or the poster(s) judging his motivation for speaking about his sexuality. No straight sportsperson has to consider how talking openly about their partner will be taken.

If you don't think anyone needs to come out and for it to be treated as a big deal? Brilliant. Make that happen by treating it as a non event, give a quick word of support and move on.

FFS, this isn't **** or planet swamp.
    Calling him a poof was tongue in cheek because that's just the kind of reaction you take offence on behalf of others luvvies want.

The truth is in my first post. He's some 50 year old guy who used to be famous. He's gay. It's 2017. It's no big deal.

In an age where we have people a lot more current, influential and famous than Colin actually having sex changes, then this is hardly a groundbreaking statement.

Colin Jackson is gay. In other news the grass is green and the sky is blue.

I neither mind nor care. I just don't see the need for anyone to come out any more. It was different when there was so much intolerance towards homosexuality but society has progressed and I believe the mast majority of us are not homophobic. It's been an open secret that Jackson was gay anyway.
    You don't have to come out, you can just live life normally, go to functions and events as a couple, etc. You're the one who said they can hide in public as it's nobody's business.

You don't have to come out, you can just live life normally, go to functions and events as a couple, etc. You're the one who said they can hide in public as it's nobody's business.
    That's the point you are missing. He can lead his life as an open homosexual man. Why the need for a statement? We all knew he was gay anyway. However he clearly felt he had to make that statement. It's not necessary any longer. If though he wished to remain private about his sexuality that's his choice and he should not be hounded about it.

That's the point you are missing. He can lead his life as an open homosexual man. Why the need for a statement? We all knew he was gay anyway. However he clearly felt he had to make that statement. It's not necessary any longer. If though he wished to remain private about his sexuality that's his choice and he should not be hounded about it.
    Well put.

Thomas spoke honestly did he? Hmmm.

I'm not hounding him, I just responded to his statement and said it was great news, and hopefully he can live his life to the full without having to look over his shoulder. But like it or not he is a celebrity, and I am sure other people in a similar situation will take comfort from his stance.

I'm not hounding him, I just responded to his statement and said it was great news, and hopefully he can live his life to the full without having to look over his shoulder. But like it or not he is a celebrity, and I am sure other people in a similar situation will take comfort from his stance.
    Think you'll find he's been living his life without looking over his shoulder. I admit, my eyesight isn't the greatest so I may have missed hordes of thickos chasing after him with pitchforks and lit torches...

Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
    I must say, this has come as a complete surprise. Did anyone guess?
    Come in, come out of the rain

Quote Originally Posted by ccfc_is_my_life View Post
    Think you'll find he's been living his life without looking over his shoulder. I admit, my eyesight isn't the greatest so I may have missed hordes of thickos chasing after him with pitchforks and lit torches...
    Somebody prieviously sold their story to the press. He's just ended the prospect of that happening again.

Somebody prieviously sold their story to the press. He's just ended the prospect of that happening again.
    Previously. As in 9 years ago. That was such a big traumatic deal for Jackson he failed to "come out" at the time which would have crapped all over that story, indeed he denied he was gay. Indeed, he was happy to portray the other guy as being a liar. Solidarity and all that.

In 2008 someone being gay also, funnily enough, failed to have the hordes chasing after them. It's as though society is way more tolerant than some want to give it credit for.

Feedback

It's always the ones you don't expect

Why does he need to look over his shoulder? Twenty odd years ago fair enough. Not these days. The idiots that are homophobic are hammered in our society these days and rightly so. Will others take comfort from his stance? Any youngsters struggling to come to terms with their sexuality may not take too much comfort from the fact that he actually felt the need to come out as if it is something to be ashamed of.

For me it's black and white. Live and let live. If you are gay,straight,bi or trans I just don't care. Fortunately our young people lead the way in this respect. They just don't care. They don't see sexuality as an issue. My teenage lads would just shrug their shoulders at all of this.

Why does he need to look over his shoulder? Twenty odd years ago fair enough. Not these days. The idiots that are homophobic are hammered in our society these days and rightly so. Will others take comfort from his stance? Any youngsters struggling to come to terms with their sexuality may not take too much comfort from the fact that he actually felt the need to come out as if it is something to be ashamed of.

For me it's black and white. Live and let live. If you are gay,straight,bi or trans I just don't care. Fortunately our young people lead the way in this respect. They just don't care. They don't see sexuality as an issue. My teenage lads would just shrug their shoulders at all of this.
    See my last post.

This how my kids are.You are what you are.Who gives a fcuk about the persons sexuality.