+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: The english transfer fees are crazy and will ruin the game eventually

The english transfer fees are crazy and will ruin the game eventually

Some of the fees in this window are utterley crazy. Fees being demanded for players have no bearing on the players real worth or previous performance?
    Where will this all end? How will the game survive if Sky pulled out?
    I have an example of a player currently seeking a move..... Oxlade Chamberlain
    He is English and has turned down a new contract of £160k a week from his current club
    In 7 seasons in the prem he has made just 164 appearances and of those 74 were substitute appearances so essentially spends 50% of his time on the bench
    Hes an attacking midfielder and yet has a worse goalscoring record than Sean Morrison.
    He is currently valued at £40m

Even in our league Sone Aluko has just moved from Fulham to Reading for £7m having been released on a free on 3 previous occasions by other clubs and with a track record of having only scored 33 goals in the last 6 full seasons and only 43 goals in 264 games?

The game has gone mad!!

Re: The english transfer fees are crazy and will ruin the game eventually

It seems to have gone crazy elsewhere as well, but you are correct.

Baffles me why Chelsea have been interested in Oxlade-Chamberlain, Drinkwater and Barkley. Clubs want English players, yes, but what a dreadful midfield they would make.

It's not the transfer fees that are ruining the game so much as the agents fees.At least the transfer money goes to the clubs not some agents trousers

Quote Originally Posted by chepstow View Post
    Some of the fees in this window are utterley crazy. Fees being demanded for players have no bearing on the players real worth or previous performance?
    He is English and has turned down a new contract of £160k a week from his current club
    In 7 seasons in the prem he has made just 164 appearances and of those 74 were substitute appearances so essentially spends 50% of his time on the bench
    Hes an attacking midfielder and yet has a worse goalscoring record than Sean Morrison.

Even in our league Sone Aluko has just moved from Fulham to Reading for £7m having been released on a free on 3 previous occasions by other clubs and with a track record of having only scored 33 goals in the last 6 full seasons and only 43 goals in 264 games?

The game has gone mad!!
    its crazy mate some of them stats makes u wonder don't it maybe Zahore is worth 30 million plus lol
    from them stats of the moment

Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
    Baffles me why Chelsea have been interested in Oxlade-Chamberlain, Drinkwater and Barkley. Clubs want English players, yes, but what a dreadful midfield they would make.
    You have to have a quota of home grown players. Its why Man City signed the likes of Delph and Sinclair. Players who wouldnt be anywhere near their radar if there wasnt such a rule.

Dont know how you can blame it on England when the 3 biggest fees, by some distance, dont even involve any English clubs.

Heisenberg

Quote Originally Posted by I.8.POLITICAL.CORRECTNESS View Post
    its crazy mate some of them stats makes u wonder don't it maybe Zahore is worth 30 million plus lol
    from them stats of the moment
    Zohore's stats would devalue him immeasurably if we're using chepstow's way of looking at transfer values.
    He has averaged 1 goal in 4 games in his career. How much would you pay for those stats without looking at the wider picture?

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    You have to have a quota of home grown players. Its why Man City signed the likes of Delph and Sinclair. Players who wouldnt be anywhere near their radar if there wasnt such a rule.
    I know, but they were looking at close to £100m if they'd signed all three, plus whatever insane wages they demand. The homegrown players don't even have to be English so they could surely find players to tick the box at a cheaper price. The only place Oxlade could really challenge for the first team is at wingback in Moses' place, it would make sense for them to hunt out an actual fullback to cover him. Drinkwater and Barkley would really struggle to get a spot, so they may as well buy someone cheap who also is not good enough.

I agree with the OP, but it's not just here, but across Europe and to some extent China.
    The game is utterly bonkers.
    I'm pretty sure this isnt what Jimmy Hill had in mind when, not 60 years ago, he managed to get the £20 a week maximum wage scrapped.

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    Zohore's stats would devalue him immeasurably if we're using chepstow's way of looking at transfer values.
    He has averaged 1 goal in 4 games in his career. How much would you pay for those stats without looking at the wider picture?
    how much would I pay me personally I couldn't afford a toe lol
    could u stretch to a leg
    maybe we can have a whip round lol

Quote Originally Posted by TH63 View Post
    I agree with the OP, but it's not just here, but across Europe and to some extent China.
    The game is utterly bonkers.
    I'm pretty sure this isnt what Jimmy Hill had in mind when, not 60 years ago, he managed to get the £20 a week maximum wage scrapped.
    Only a handful of clubs across Europe though. I just had a look at the Italian transfers, and Italian clubs have bought three players for over £20m (can't do the Euro sign) that I could see. Think there's only a couple in Germany.

China is slowing down too. The mental money sloshing around the PL is great for clubs abroad if they can sell their players across the Channel.

Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
    Only a handful of clubs across Europe though. I just had a look at the Italian transfers, and Italian clubs have bought three players for over £20m (can't do the Euro sign) that I could see. Think there's only a couple in Germany.

China is slowing down too. The mental money sloshing around the PL is great for clubs abroad if they can sell their players across the Channel.
    China has slowed down temporarily, as they changed their rules on foreign signings. I wouldn't expect that to be anything more than a temporary blip though .

The game has gone mad!!
    I look forward to the collapse of the Premiership/Sky etc.

I firmly believe that in the future , large companies such as google , Facebook , Apple etc will own players , and they will be leased to clubs for even more than they are paid now.

A players worth is so fragile , Costa last year ? £100 million in form ? Suddenly thrown his toys out of the pram, and how much is he worth now £40 million ?

Dont know how you can blame it on England when the 3 biggest fees, by some distance, dont even involve any English clubs.
    But in England the transfer fees have gone through the roof. Compare £25m for Keane to Everton and £35m for Leonardo Bannuci from Juventus to AC Milan. One had played 70 times for Italy and 250 games for Juve incl the champions league final and the other had played twice for England and for............Burnley!!
    £70m for Van Djik at the Saints!!
    £25m for Joran Pickford whose greatest claim to fame is playing for relegated Sunderland

Give it time.

This time next year we'll get £150,000,000 for Ken.

With a 25% sell on clause.

Heisenberg

But in England the transfer fees have gone through the roof. Compare £25m for Keane to Everton and £35m for Leonardo Bannuci from Juventus to AC Milan. One had played 70 times for Italy and 250 games for Juve incl the champions league final and the other had played twice for England and for............Burnley!!
    £70m for Van Djik at the Saints!!
    £25m for Joran Pickford whose greatest claim to fame is playing for relegated Sunderland
    You're acting like it's a new trend for English players to be overpriced when it's been happening for over a decade.

Don't know why you're including Van Dijk - he hasn't even been sold, nevermind for £70m. It appears that nobody outside of Southampton knows how much they'd sell him for - if anything.

The game has gone mad!!
    It hasn't been the same since that Russell Slade left Cardiff has it ?