+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Pilkington future

Blue in the Face

Pilkington future

Has Pilkington got something to offer us still? Does he need to adapt his position or game to fit in? If so, how should Neil utilise him?

Re: Pilkington future

Got a feeling he will leave tomorrow

Quote Originally Posted by Blue in the Face View Post
    Has Pilkington got something to offer us still? Does he need to adapt his position or game to fit in? If so, how should Neil utilise him?
    NO!

I think he has talent ,probaly his hunger and pace are waining now,as he is nears 30 .

Would do a good job in the Championship , scored some crackers ,top scorer in one season playing up top in an unfamiliar role.

Scored 17 for us , didn't he score a screamer against the Brizzies where we 3-2 , argh we all loved him then.

Its a pity he can't find his form and was not on such a high wage ,he'd be a decent squad addition. I'd keep him at the club before Noone ,mord versatile.

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    I think he has talent ,probaly his hunger and pace are waining now,as he is nears 30 .

Would do a good job in the Championship , scored some crackers ,top scorer in one season playing up top in an unfamiliar role.

Scored 17 for us , didn't he score a screamer against the Brizzies where we 3-2 , argh we all loved him then.

Its a pity he can't find his form and was not on such a high wage ,he'd be a decent squad addition. I'd keep him at the club before Noone ,mord versatile.
    I hear Pilks and Noone are not big fans of our Neil...

Both need a move and game time. I think they're both good players but now need a fresh start.

Didnt warnock say theyre trying to move them but if not theyll be heavily involved

That was certainly a memorable goal, but for me, for every great game he had, he seemed to have three poor ones before and after

Quote Originally Posted by TH63 View Post
    That was certainly a memorable goal, but for me, for every great game he had, he seemed to have three poor ones before and after
    yeah id say he has 1 good game out of 5 or 6 games he plays now
    not a good ratio really
    id be surprised if him or noone will still be here after 11 tonight mate

I always liked Pilks but in a funny sort of way his spell as striker seems to have spoiled him. As a wide MF he added balance to the side. He has definitely lost his way last 12 months.

His lack of pace doesn't help at the moment. Good footballer but we're probably the wrong team for him.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    His lack of pace doesn't help at the moment. Good footballer but we're probably the wrong team for him.
    I'd agree.
    We've got better players in the AM role (Tomlin/Bryson), quicker/trickier wingers and a striker (potentially Bogle as well) that doesn't get bullied so easily off the ball.

This is not to say he hasn't offered us anything good over the years because during Slades tenure he was probably one of our best 3 players.
    We've moved on since those days attacking wise and perhaps he should when the loan window opens to a team more suited for him.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bob Banker Spanker View Post
    I'd agree.
    We've got better players in the AM role (Tomlin/Bryson), quicker/trickier wingers and a striker (potentially Bogle as well) that doesn't get bullied so easily off the ball.

This is not to say he hasn't offered us anything good over the years because during Slades tenure he was probably one of our best 3 players.
    We've moved on since those days attacking wise and perhaps he should when the loan window opens to a team more suited for him.

Is there still a loan window?

Quote Originally Posted by bluethrough View Post
    Is there still a loan window?
    Just had to look it up and apparently not. FIFA changed the rules last year, loans can only be agreed during the transfer window.
    Looks like we're stuck with him until January then.

I can only think his wages are the issue as he's not a bad player who would do good job at many championship clubs , these inflated wages for average players have blighted us over the past few years ,shame on our previous managers .

I can only think his wages are the issue as he's not a bad player who would do good job at many championship clubs , these inflated wages for average players have blighted us over the past few years ,shame on our previous managers .
    If you have a look round practically every club playing professional football you will find players who either cost too much , lost their form and never found it again, didn't suit a new manager etc etc etc .
    We dont have a monopoly on this fact, its more a fact of football.

Pilkington is the most talented player with the most ability at the club according to an ex pro who works at the club.

It is unfortunate we dont see it on the park.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy the Jock View Post
    Pilkington is the most talented player with the most ability at the club according to an ex pro who works at the club.

We have in glimpses

Quote Originally Posted by The Bob Banker Spanker View Post
    Just had to look it up and apparently not. FIFA changed the rules last year, loans can only be agreed during the transfer window.
    Looks like we're stuck with him until January then.
    Injuries could still have a say in Pilk's season. Yes we have potentially better attack minded midfielders but there is nothing like having options.

Better he's with us I say, as long as he is managed properly and stays fit.

As he was signed by Solksjaer I reckon he is on big money. He is now in the last year of his contract I think, but we couldn't unload him like O'Keefe , John and Kennedy. Those wages are probably the sticking point, but I am surprised no one came in for him, and we could have agreed to pay part of the wage just to get rid. Mind you having seen him play most clubs would have been put off, he did score in the Cup but I think Tomlin's free kick glanced his hair!

If we cancel his contract he can't sign for anyone else, as they have to have the contract cancelled before the window closes. So maybe he'll stay for the season, or at least until January, and could be useful back up if we have any injuries.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy the Jock View Post

If that ex pro is who I think it is, he should know.

Quote Originally Posted by cardiff55 View Post
    As he was signed by Solksjaer I reckon he is on big money. He is now in the last year of his contract I think, but we couldn't unload him like O'Keefe , John and Kennedy. Those wages are probably the sticking point, but I am surprised no one came in for him, and we could have agreed to pay part of the wage just to get rid. Mind you having seen him play most clubs would have been put off, he did score in the Cup but I think Tomlin's free kick glanced his hair!

If we cancel his contract he can't sign for anyone else, as they have to have the contract cancelled before the window closes. So maybe he'll stay for the season, or at least until January, and could be useful back up if we have any injuries.
    Pilkington signed a 2 year contract extension last September. Contracted to end of 2019 season.