+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Technophobe Question...

Technophobe Question...

I'm buying a new laptop, but it doesn't come with Office, the version on my old laptop is an older version anyway.

I can buy Office for home, I think it is, for £70 but it says that is only for a years licence, what happens then or is there a cheaper alternative?

Re: Technophobe Question...

There is a free alternative to MS Office. It's called Open Office. It has all the features and functions of MS Office, it just looks a little different. I use it with complete compatibility with my friends and colleagues using Microsoft.

Quote Originally Posted by mrbluejay View Post
    I'm buying a new laptop, but it doesn't come with Office, the version on my old laptop is an older version anyway.

I can buy Office for home, I think it is, for £70 but it says that is only for a years licence, what happens then or is there a cheaper alternative?

After a year you pay £7.99 a month. Complete rip off.

You need to look under student programs on the internet, there is one i bought about 4 years ago £42 it still updates if i want to do that but i dont bother. I am not at home at the moment and i cannot remember the site, but if you are interested i will have a look when i get home, the last time i looked it was£45. Bye the eay it is 55 years ago that i was a student, but they still let me buy

Quote Originally Posted by BrainClark View Post
    There is a free alternative to MS Office. It's called Open Office. It has all the features and functions of MS Office, it just looks a little different. I use it with complete compatibility with my friends and colleagues using Microsoft.
    Apache Open Office development has slowed down a bit. If you're looking for the same stuff but with more development releases, then it's Libre Office all the way.

If you use cloud storage, then Google and Microsoft have free office suites built into Outlook.com, or Gmail / Google account.
    As already said above, Libre office is probably the best no-cost Office alternative if you prefer the traditional approach.

Quote Originally Posted by Sgt. Pepper View Post
    If you use cloud storage, then Google and Microsoft have free office suites built into Outlook.com, or Gmail / Google account.
    As already said above, Libre office is probably the best no-cost Office alternative if you prefer the traditional approach.
    Which of the MS-Office programs do you use, and for what? That info would help us recommend alternatives.

Quote Originally Posted by BrainClark View Post
    Open Office does everything most need.

Try and see if you can get MS Office via your university or workplace

Buy a Mac.
    Hardware may cost more but includes all "office" software updated free while the hardware is supported.

Quote Originally Posted by TH63 View Post
    Buy a Mac.
    Hardware may cost more but includes all "office" software updated free while the hardware is supported.
    Would be cheaper to pay a kid to type for him on their school laptop.

Buy a Mac.
    Agree. I left Microsoft when they launched that new fangled windows thing. Couldn't get on with it so when laptop died I switched to macbook and would never go back

Quote Originally Posted by El Gwapo View Post
    Agree. I left Microsoft when they launched that new fangled windows thing. Couldn't get on with it so when laptop died I switched to macbook and would never go back
    Once you go mac.......

Once you go mac.......
    true, even at uni, i always carry my macbook pro to avoid using the windows computers in the library

Quote Originally Posted by Dublinblue View Post
    Which of the MS-Office programs do you use, and for what? That info would help us recommend alternatives.
    A bit of everything really, got my work laptop for the heavy duty stuff.