+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Ledley

Re: Ledley

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    So go then, how did he piss off and cost the club millions?
    He did cost the club millions by running out his contract...? What's your point.

Most supporters don't blame him for what he did, but he obviously cost the club money.

Welcome Joe, a class addition to our Squad,it's about time the Capital of Wales club had more Welshmen in the team. Prehaps one day we can bring Rambo and Bale back home?

Quote Originally Posted by darran1927 View Post
    I don't know all the ins and outs,I've known his cousin for years and all he said was offer been on table for a while and Ledley hadn't signed it as was keeping his options open
    I have heard this aswell.

Quote Originally Posted by WJ99mobile View Post
    He did cost the club millions by running out his contract...? What's your point.

Most supporters don't blame him for what he did, but he obviously cost the club money.
    Cardiff turned down many bids to cash in on him so no he didn't cost the club millions. If the club didn't want to lose out on the millions then they should have sold him when they had the chance.

Quote Originally Posted by ccfc_is_my_life View Post
    Seem to recall the Celtic deal was delayed, going through after he was 24 so less/no compensation was due to us or something like that?
    He was 24 in January and signed for them in the summer.

Most of the statements made in relation to Ledley's departure are incorrect. The fact is that Ledley received a number of offers from other clubs but chose Celtic and in doing so deprived Cardiff City of any compensation for his development. This extract from a Daily Telegraph article explains the position.

"Cardiff insist they are due compensation for the out-of-contract Ledley, however Celtic will not owe the Bluebirds anything.
    Cardiff would have expected upwards of £2 million compensation if he had signed for another team in the English leagues but Fifa's cross-border transfer rules mean he is able to move to Celtic for free."

Quote Originally Posted by Vindec View Post
    Most of the statements made in relation to Ledley's departure are incorrect. The fact is that Ledley received a number of offers from other clubs but chose Celtic and in doing so deprived Cardiff City of any compensation for his development. This extract from a Daily Telegraph article explains the position.

"Cardiff insist they are due compensation for the out-of-contract Ledley, however Celtic will not owe the Bluebirds anything.
    Cardiff would have expected upwards of £2 million compensation if he had signed for another team in the English leagues but Fifa's cross-border transfer rules mean he is able to move to Celtic for free."

So when posters write down "He cost the club millions", you are saying, they are incorrect. Is that correct. ?

Any player out of contract it's entirely up to him who he chooses as his next club. The wishes of his former club should not come into it.

Any player out of contract it's entirely up to him who he chooses as his next club. The wishes of his former club should not come into it.
    Though the impact of the size of the signing on fee may have impacted on the players decision. The boy from Fairwater may not be welcomed by everyone.

I always find the Ledley arguments laughable. On one hand he can go and most likely double his wages and get Champions League football and put himself on a bigger stage or alternatively he takes less money and goes somewhere that he maybe doesn't want to go and is likely in a relegation fight every season. There are not many people out there who would take the worst of 2 job offers to help their former company.

Blue in the Face

It would only inflate in the case where a club has an urgent requirement for a midfielder - long term injury issue for example.

Longer he's out of the game, less his value is because he has little leverage. Where there's little to no competition for his services, he'd be a fool to try to hold out for squillions and teams know that. Teams can afford to wait and offer far below what he wants. At the end of the day, he needs a team more than a team needs him*.

* Yes, I know he's got more than enough money to comfortably retire. You get the general point though, most pros want to still play aged 30.
    It depends if he has a choice of offers on the table bud. If so his leverage should go up. It might go up anyway. With the money being spent at the mo, there's bound to be some clubs in surplus funds after some last minute deals. It's probably a big signing on fee hell be looking for as much as wages. He might still end up in the PL where a signing on fee could be huge. Think there's a fair few foreign leagues who can still trade after tonight too.

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post
    We had bids for Ledley going up to £5m the summer before his contract expired, the club should have sold him then, not his fault the club were naive enough to think that a footballer wouldn't go elsewhere for more money
    If that's the mystical 5m offer from stoke. DJ debunked that rumour about a year after. I'm not convinced we ever had a big offer for him otherwise we would certainly have taken it. Don't forget how much Rambo went for.

True. But Ledley deliberately ran his contract down despite saying all along he wanted to re-sign. Basically he was stringing the club along until he was free to join another club and the fact he chose a club in Scotland deprived the club of any compensation at a time when it was near bankrupt. Personally I would not welcome him as a returning hero. If his wages are reasonable then he might be a decent signing but the point we are discussing is "did he leave the club costing them millions". To that the answer is "Yes".

True. But Ledley deliberately ran his contract down despite saying all along he wanted to re-sign. Basically he was stringing the club along until he was free to join another club and the fact he chose a club in Scotland deprived the club of any compensation at a time when it was near bankrupt. Personally I would not welcome him as a returning hero. If his wages are reasonable then he might be a decent signing but the point we are discussing is "did he leave the club costing them millions". To that the answer is "Yes".
    No it isn't. The club had the chance to sell him. They didn't.

Deal off wants too much money. Confirmed by ****

Blue in the Face

I'm not sure we did have the chance to sell him mate. I don't know for sure. DJ did deny strongly after the fact.

Club want to sell. Player says "No, I'm running contract down lolkthxbai".

Club's fault, clearly.

Quote Originally Posted by Blue in the Face View Post
    I'm not sure we did have the chance to sell him mate. I don't know for sure. DJ did deny strongly after the fact.
    Wouldn't believe a word from the Riddler days

Club want to sell. Player says "No, I'm running contract down lolkthxbai".

Club's fault, clearly.
    Absolutely

Should have sold him 2 years previous or upped his contract. That's how it works when you're in demand.

Absolutely

Should have sold him 2 years previous or upped his contract. That's how it works when you're in demand.
    And were there offers 2 years previous? Was a contract offer made and rejected?

Players are far more in control these days... it's no longer slavery...

And were there offers 2 years previous? Was a contract offer made and rejected?

Players are far more in control these days... it's no longer slavery...
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/foot...ty/7843242.stm

Blue in the Face

Wouldn't believe a word from the Riddler days
    True. I wouldn't but goldfish off him.

So if the offer was £3.50 and a packet of pork scratchings, we should thus have taken it because he'd leave on a free...

According ***** the deal is off. To quote his post below.

'WAges'

So if the offer was £3.50 and a packet of pork scratchings, we should thus have taken it because he'd leave on a free...
    They turned down 6m the previous summer

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/foot...ty/7587639.stm

Next

They turned down 6m the previous summer

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/foot...ty/7587639.stm

Next
    Allegedly, after all that is supposition on the part of the media.

What's your next argument, we didn't let him go to Stoke so he said "f*ck you" and wound his contract down? Hardly makes either party look good.