+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Ledley

Blue in the Face

Re: Ledley

It's pretty obvious we need competition in this area. Form is temporary unfortunately so our current starting three won't be able to sustain themselves at this level all year. Hopefully Tomlin pushes in at some point, for the right games. I think Tomlin could prove invaluable when games are tight and gridlocked. We also need different personal so we don't get too stale and predictable, even if Joe isn't that different to what we we have.

My hope is were able to move on loads of players today and we can bring in two centre mids - with one being more of a "project" (though not on 45k a week).

Wonder if we'll have two Welshies by end of play today?

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    You talk as if the first team is cast in stone - it isn't, there are ebbs and flows in form from all players throughout a forty six game season, people get injured, people get suspended, people have off pitch issues that can effect hoe they perform on it.

To answer your question, my guess is that Ledley would be on the bench initially because of his lack of match practice. However, two things occur to me - first, I remember all of those seasons up until the year we got promoted where promotion bids floundered because, from about March onwards, we had a squad that was running on empty. Second, I remember how tired we looked in the last fifteen minutes against Sheffield United when we were over reliant on Etheridge keeping our two goal lead - we are playing a very physically demanding game in central midfield and I reckon there's every chance that there are going to be times when Warnock will want to shake things up in there for reasons of tiredness, as well as all of the things I listed above.
    I agree

Could also keep Ralls and Gunnar in their toes knowing that Joe was waiting in the wings.
    Warnock is a canny bloke and surely we have to assume that the subject of who are the first names on the team sheet has been covered off during negotiations?

Quote Originally Posted by Blue in the Face View Post
    It's pretty obvious we need competition in this area. Form is temporary unfortunately so our current starting three won't be able to sustain themselves at this level all year. Hopefully Tomlin pushes in at some point, for the right games. I think Tomlin could prove invaluable when games are tight and gridlocked. We also need different personal so we don't get too stale and predictable, even if Joe isn't that different to what we we have.

My hope is were able to move on loads of players today and we can bring in two centre mids - with one being more of a "project" (though not on 45k a week).

Wonder if we'll have two Welshies by end of play today?
    You're right about Tomlin, it's great for us that we have been ahead in all of our games in the closing stages, but it does mean that he is less likely to see any action - if we are trying to avoid defeat or turn a draw into a win late on, then Tomlin may well be the first man Warnock turns to.

Some people would moan if we signed Bale and Rambo

You talk as if the first team is cast in stone - it isn't, there are ebbs and flows in form from all players throughout a forty six game season, people get injured, people get suspended, people have off pitch issues that can effect hoe they perform on it.

To answer your question, my guess is that Ledley would be on the bench initially because of his lack of match practice. However, two things occur to me - first, I remember all of those seasons up until the year we got promoted where promotion bids floundered because, from about March onwards, we had a squad that was running on empty. Second, I remember how tired we looked in the last fifteen minutes against Sheffield United when we were over reliant on Etheridge keeping our two goal lead - we are playing a very physically demanding game in central midfield and I reckon there's every chance that there are going to be times when Warnock will want to shake things up in there for reasons of tiredness, as well as all of the things I listed above.
    Agreed, we need backup, need to increase the squad size for central midfield for exactly the reasons you give. Those reasons however don't mean that Ledley is the answer to that question.

Don't you think if Warnock really wanted him he'd have been here a long time ago? The same lack of quality depth is the same now as it was three months ago - and I doubt anybody at the club would have expected Damour to play the way he has. Ledley has been available all summer. If there was interest on his part in returning here, surely it would have already happened by now given the utter lack of interest in other clubs picking him up?

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    No
    He did indeed cost the club money , by not signing a contract , its a well known ploy , players then get an inflated personal signing on fee or bigger wages , I don't blame him , but to answer the question, yes it cost us critical money,at a time of need .

As a free agent, Joe is not bound by deadline day, he can sign at any time. The deadline is for interclub transfers only. Why would there be a rush to sign him today?

Quote Originally Posted by Des Parrot View Post
    As a free agent, Joe is not bound by deadline day, he can sign at any time. The deadline is for interclub transfers only. Why would there be a rush to sign him today?
    Sooner he signs for a club, sooner he can get fully match fit.

Quote Originally Posted by ccfc_is_my_life View Post
    Agreed, we need backup, need to increase the squad size for central midfield for exactly the reasons you give. Those reasons however don't mean that Ledley is the answer to that question.

Don't you think if Warnock really wanted him he'd have been here a long time ago? The same lack of quality depth is the same now as it was three months ago - and I doubt anybody at the club would have expected Damour to play the way he has. Ledley has been available all summer. If there was interest on his part in returning here, surely it would have already happened by now given the utter lack of interest in other clubs picking him up?
    Offer has been on the table for Ledley for a while,Ledley has held off signing to keep his options open

my thoughts exactly. Spot on.

Quote Originally Posted by darran1927 View Post
    Offer has been on the table for Ledley for a while,Ledley has held off signing to keep his options open
    Has it or is that just a rumour?

If that is the case, hardly gives the impression he really wants to return, does it? "Oh, ok, I'll come back but only because there's nobody better out there". Reminds me of something an ex once said...

Glad to see some supportive posts for this signing if it comes off. People are talking as if Ledley is about 35, he's never been the quickest, but he's always had very good stamina - I fail to see how our squad cannot be stronger with Joe in it.
    Hopefully at a non premiership wage , this imbalance of wages does effect dressing rooms

If we need someone to come on from the bench I'd rather it be Ledley than Halford. An injury to Gunna and we're struggling.

...and I won't believe it until ***** has confirmed it *EXCLUSIVE*

Has it or is that just a rumour?

If that is the case, hardly gives the impression he really wants to return, does it? "Oh, ok, I'll come back but only because there's nobody better out there". Reminds me of something an ex once said...
    I don't know all the ins and outs,I've known his cousin for years and all he said was offer been on table for a while and Ledley hadn't signed it as was keeping his options open

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Gillis View Post
    Didn't he piss off last time and cost the club a fortune?
    No. He saw out his contract and moved on.

Would you give millions of pounds to the club instead of looking after your family? No, thought not.
    That wasn't the question.

Blue in the Face

Well we've won all our league games without him, with no injuries in midfield. How much would two months worth of JL wages cost? We also would need to be sure to offload before we bring in another big earner. We're obviously not in a position to gamble with our budget. Perhaps Joe isn't our first choice? And I doubt we're his either?

Quote Originally Posted by Des Parrot View Post
    His value could inflate a little more after the window has closed. Joe being a free agent will be his choice. This is most likely his last big pay day so I won't be surprised if he still doesn't have a club tomorrow.

I'm not averse to us signing Ledley of his wage demands aren't great. He would be a decent squad acquisition, good competition and has a good engine.

However, he's surely not the only player that could fit the bill. Given our previous with him holding out for a good payday at Celtic, and assuming the finances of a deal nowadays are important as a result, if he's after a huge signing on fee then we should forget it. I have a hunch, nothing more, that makes me think he'll wait untill he gets a great offer. If one doesn't come, then he'll be forced to accept one that doesn't meet his expectations. Nothing necessarily wrong in that, but I suspect he'd be more interested in returning to us if the money is right rather than because he wants to be back home.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    I'm not averse to us signing Ledley of his wage demands aren't great. He would be a decent squad acquisition, good competition and has a good engine.

However, he's surely not the only player that could fit the bill. Given our previous with him holding out for a good payday at Celtic, and assuming the finances of a deal nowadays are important as a result, if he's after a huge signing on fee then we should forget it. I have a hunch, nothing more, that makes me think he'll wait untill he gets a great offer. If one doesn't come, then he'll be forced to accept one that doesn't meet his expectations. Nothing necessarily wrong in that, but I suspect he'd be more interested in returning to us if the money is right rather than because he wants to be back home.
    That I agree with and I'd say is why Ledley wouldn't be a good fit for the squad right now.

Our FFP issues have been obvious, we're not throwing money around. Players that have come in under Warnock have come here for Warnock - to be honest, they'd run through a bloody wall to play for him! Of course they aren't on minimum wage... but I'm sure some could have got more money elsewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Blue in the Face View Post
    His value could inflate a little more after the window has closed. Joe being a free agent will be his choice. This is most likely his last big pay day so I won't be surprised if he still doesn't have a club tomorrow.
    It would only inflate in the case where a club has an urgent requirement for a midfielder - long term injury issue for example.

Longer he's out of the game, less his value is because he has little leverage. Where there's little to no competition for his services, he'd be a fool to try to hold out for squillions and teams know that. Teams can afford to wait and offer far below what he wants. At the end of the day, he needs a team more than a team needs him*.

* Yes, I know he's got more than enough money to comfortably retire. You get the general point though, most pros want to still play aged 30.

We had bids for Ledley going up to £5m the summer before his contract expired, the club should have sold him then, not his fault the club were naive enough to think that a footballer wouldn't go elsewhere for more money

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post
    We had bids for Ledley going up to £5m the summer before his contract expired, the club should have sold him then, not his fault the club were naive enough to think that a footballer wouldn't go elsewhere for more money
    Wasn't that the transfer window after the FA Cup final season?
    He was our best player that season, no one on here wanted him to go.

Quote Originally Posted by Vindec View Post
    That wasn't the question.
    So go then, how did he piss off and cost the club millions?

So go then, how did he piss off and cost the club millions?
    Seem to recall the Celtic deal was delayed, going through after he was 24 so less/no compensation was due to us or something like that?