+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Keith Andrews

Re: Keith Andrews

Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
    To be fair, if Higuain hadn't missed a sitter then Messi would have a world cup winners medal.

As for Maradona, he's the only man stopping Messi being called the best ever in my opinion.

We're getting dangerously close to 'can he do it on a wet Tuesday in Stoke' territory...
    As if little old Lionel will struggle to get past shawcross and co

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    WHY WAS RONALDO USED AS A COMPARISON?
    Because they play the same position, both are attacking players, both are superstars in the game, both play for Real Madrid, both play for small/weak countries, both get compared regularly. It was completely reasonable to compare him to Ronaldo!

Bale has carried Madrid in Ronaldo's absence at times, and probably would've been more prominent in the team if ronaldo hadn't been at the club.

A few people have said how much they hate him but appreciate he's a good player.

Yes he's a bit arrogant but considering how good he is and what he's achieved it's understandable to an extent.

He always turns up for his country and some of his charitable stuff has been fantastic. He's done some really kind gestures from what I've read.

I like him, phenomenal player.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueArmy 86 View Post
    Because they play the same position, both are attacking players, both are superstars in the game, both play for Real Madrid, both play for small/weak countries, both get compared regularly. It was completely reasonable to compare him to Ronaldo!

Bale has carried Madrid in Ronaldo's absence at times, and probably would've been more prominent in the team if ronaldo hadn't been at the club.
    Asensio?

Quote Originally Posted by BlueArmy 86 View Post

Well that takes me back to my original point then. If you're going to compare because "they are similar players, playing for smaller nations" then compare everything.

"Well done great tracking back by Bale you wouldn't see Ronaldo doing that for Portugal".

No, you'd normally see him up the other end banging the goals in carrying the team more than Bale does for Wales!!! Did Andrews miss the fact Ronaldo carried them to winning a major tournament just 14 months ago?!?'

Bales international record is excellent, Ronaldos is even better. As much as Bale is brilliant and I am proud that he's Welsh he's not in the same league as Ronaldo (and Messi who has worked his way into the thread).

As for Bale carrying Madrid in Ronaldos absence that's a load of bollox. Bale has been more carried than the carrier for Madrid. He's had 1 outstanding season in 4. Ronaldo is outstanding year after year.

Quote Originally Posted by ccfc_is_my_life View Post
    He was used as a comparison because Portugal, like Wales, are seen as a one man team.

Bale is far more of a team player than Ronaldo will ever be.
    Are we? Since when? I thought Aaron Ramsey was more important than Bale to this team? Well that certainly was the case on this forum in Euro 2016.

When was the last time Ronaldo tracked back?
    What does it matter? He's at the other end smashing the goals in.

When was the last time David Marshall scored?

Quote Originally Posted by William Treseder View Post
    What has Messi ever done at international level? No doubting his sheer class, but let's be fair. He's done it at one club during a golden era for them. Both Ronaldo and Maradona had the balls to go to other clubs and prove they were the best. Maradona dragged an average Argentina side to World Cup glory, and an average Napoli side to a title.

You can only judge Messi vs Ronaldo in World Cup tournaments cos the qualification in South America doesn't feature teams like Gibraltar, San Marino etc.

Messi has a better record in World Cups than Ronaldo when it comes to goals and assists etc though there's not a great deal in it.

Argentina have often been in turmoil when Messi has been in these tournaments and in one world cup they were managed by an off his tits Diego Maradona!

Portugal were also in a bit of a mess in the last world cup and Ronaldo was poor too.

I didn't think Ronaldo was particularly brilliant in the Euros as their win was based mainly on defensive qualities, however I do take Polo's point that Ronaldo was unbelievable during the business end of last season's champions league and it would be churlish for me to suggest otherwise.

I'm not disputing by the way whether Ronaldo is a great player. What I'm suggesting is that Messi is an absolute magician and nobody in today's game is as good as him. Ronaldo is 2nd in my opinion but a distant second.

In response to Polo I would argue that Messi is not on the decline in any way and last season he was incredible. People who think he's still playing in a dominant Barcelona team are severely mistaken.

The front 3 have very little service like they did in the day of Iniesta (prime) and Xavi. He got them out of nail week after week last season and will need to again this season.

Real Madrid are leagues ahead at the moment and I truly believe that they would cope very well without Ronaldo, whereas if you took Messi out of Barcelona now they wouldn't even qualify for the champions league.

Watch "Magical Messi" and the amount of goals where your jaw will drop by the sheer brilliance of Messi is incredible.

He's not if the ball is in his own box and no one else is there to put in a last ditch tackle and stop a goal against his side.

If nothing else this thread has shown what a fine pundit Keith Andrews is.

Keep on scattering the pearls, Keith. Some of us appreciate your insight and wisdom.

Some Ronaldo UEFA Champs records to chew on

http://www.uefa.com/uefaeuro/news/newsid=2386386.html

Keith Andrews will have to provide the backtracking stats though

http://messivsronaldo.net/records/

Some mind boggling stats for both players the likes of which I doubt we will see again for a very long time, if ever

Quote Originally Posted by thehumblegringo View Post
    You can only judge Messi vs Ronaldo in World Cup tournaments cos the qualification in South America doesn't feature teams like Gibraltar, San Marino etc.

Messi has a better record in World Cups than Ronaldo when it comes to goals and assists etc though there's not a great deal in it.

Argentina have often been in turmoil when Messi has been in these tournaments and in one world cup they were managed by an off his tits Diego Maradona!

Portugal were also in a bit of a mess in the last world cup and Ronaldo was poor too.

I didn't think Ronaldo was particularly brilliant in the Euros as their win was based mainly on defensive qualities, however I do take Polo's point that Ronaldo was unbelievable during the business end of last season's champions league and it would be churlish for me to suggest otherwise.

I'm not disputing by the way whether Ronaldo is a great player. What I'm suggesting is that Messi is an absolute magician and nobody in today's game is as good as him. Ronaldo is 2nd in my opinion but a distant second.

In response to Polo I would argue that Messi is not on the decline in any way and last season he was incredible. People who think he's still playing in a dominant Barcelona team are severely mistaken.

The front 3 have very little service like they did in the day of Iniesta (prime) and Xavi. He got them out of nail week after week last season and will need to again this season.

Real Madrid are leagues ahead at the moment and I truly believe that they would cope very well without Ronaldo, whereas if you took Messi out of Barcelona now they wouldn't even qualify for the champions league.

Watch "Magical Messi" and the amount of goals where your jaw will drop by the sheer brilliance of Messi is incredible.
    👍

When was the last time David Marshall scored?
    So you'd expect a goalkeeper to be scoring as well as saving, hmm Polo?

That's spurious logic there.

So you'd expect a goalkeeper to be scoring as well as saving, hmm Polo?

That's spurious logic there.
    As spurious as placing more importance on a strikers defensive actions than his goals

As spurious as placing more importance on a strikers defensive actions than his goals
    Who has done that?

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    Who has done that?
    Keith Andrews and ccfc for life

You might have too but I take anything you say about football with a pinch of salt

Who is placing "more importance on a strikers* defensive actions than his goals"? I certainly haven't... sounds like you're trying to bastardise people's points to "win" meaningless arguments on t'internet. Yay you.

The only "striker" for whom their defensive actions are more important than their goals is Kenwyne Jones, because the last few years he's been useful for defending set pieces due to being shit up front... a trend he continues in MLS.

The issue that seems to fly straight over your head is the fact Bale's tracking back last night is indicative of his mindset. It's all about the team, making challenges like that to help the team. Ronaldo is all about Ronaldo. Team win, he doesn't score? Sulky little bastard because he can't get the credit.

* He's not a striker...

EDIT:

Which of those two would I prefer in a squad? Bale. Not because he's Welsh, not because he's from Cardiff but because he works his socks off for the team. As we're seeing under Warnock, team morale is pretty f*cking important. Ronaldo may have all the talent in the world, if he's going to throw a strop because a teammate scored instead of him... eh, f*ck him.

Keith Andrews and ccfc for life

You might have too but I take anything you say about football with a pinch of salt
    Ok, missed that, can you guide me to where Andrews and CCFC for life have Said a strikers defensive actions are more important than his goals.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    Ok, missed that, can you guide me to where Andrews and CCFC for life have Said a strikers defensive actions are more important than his goals.

Thanks
    No

You've got eyes and fingers do it yourself

No

The standard response of someone who can't provide that "evidence".

No

So you can't then, obviously. Never mind.

Who is placing "more importance on a strikers* defensive actions than his goals"? I certainly haven't... sounds like you're trying to bastardise people's points to "win" meaningless arguments on t'internet. Yay you.

The only "striker" for whom their defensive actions are more important than their goals is Kenwyne Jones, because the last few years he's been useful for defending set pieces due to being shit up front... a trend he continues in MLS.

The issue that seems to fly straight over your head is the fact Bale's tracking back last night is indicative of his mindset. It's all about the team, making challenges like that to help the team. Ronaldo is all about Ronaldo. Team win, he doesn't score? Sulky little bastard because he can't get the credit.

* He's not a striker...

EDIT:

Which of those two would I prefer in a squad? Bale. Not because he's Welsh, not because he's from Cardiff but because he works his socks off for the team. As we're seeing under Warnock, team morale is pretty f*cking important. Ronaldo may have all the talent in the world, if he's going to throw a strop because a teammate scored instead of him... eh, f*ck him.
    Yeah all Ronaldos goals are for himself, no benefit to the team.

Those 10 goals he scored in the Champions League finals stages last season were not for the team. No use to the team at all

Why score all those international goals, win the Euros, and all those trophies when you can get all plaudits for tracking back eh. :shrug;

Imagine how much more he could have won if he realised tracking back was more important than goals

Yeah all Ronaldos goals are for himself, no benefit to the team.

Those 10 goals he scored in the Champions a League finals stages were not for the team. No use to the team.

Why score all those international goals, win the Euros, and all those trophies when you can get all plaudits for tracking back eh. :shrug;

Imagine how much more he could have won if he realised tracking back was more important than goals
    You do realise your aim with that incredibly poor level of sarcasm is backfiring, right?

It starts from a false premise you introduced to bolster your own poor argument, fails to address any of the pertinent and salient points others have raised... the smileys are just the icing on the cake.

You do realise your aim with that incredibly poor level of sarcasm is backfiring, right?

It starts from a false premise you introduced to bolster your own poor argument, fails to address any of the pertinent and salient points others have raised...
    Oh the irony.

You're arguments on the matter are as weak they come