+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Runners up in world cup groups.

Runners up in world cup groups.

Had a quick check to see potential match ups for Wales and Ireland ( hopefully these are the top 2 but I'll keep quiet who I want to be the automatic qualifiers 😃)

Northern Ireland , Iceland and Greece maybe Scotland or Slovakia all look beatable.

However there is a real horror story in either Spain or Italy as potential opponents 😱😱😱😱

Re: Runners up in world cup groups.

Quote Originally Posted by CardiffIrish2 View Post
    Had a quick check to see potential match ups for Wales and Ireland ( hopefully these are eh top 2 but I'll keep quiet who I want bro be the automatic qualifiers 😃)

Northern Ireland , Iceland and Greece maybe Scotland or Slovakia all look beatable.

However there is a real horror story in either Spain or Italy as potential opponents 😱😱😱😱
    Id take a play off against Italy or Spain right now.

I'm hoping Ireland smash Serbia Tuesday which may derail them a bit.

My preferred wish ( may as well have the bollocks of my convictions ) is Ireland to win group, Wales second and facing Northern Ireland in play off.

Not sure how the seedings are decided though.

Quote Originally Posted by CardiffIrish2 View Post
    I'm hoping Ireland smash Serbia Tuesday which may derail them a bit.

My preferred wish ( may as well have the bollocks of my convictions ) is Ireland to win group, Wales second and facing Northern Ireland in play off.

Not sure how the seedings are decided though.
    There is no guarantee that the side finishing second in our group will make the play offs though. As things stand our group is the one where second place is likely to miss out on the play offs.

Quote Originally Posted by Pearcey3 View Post
    There is no guarantee that the side finishing second in our group will make the play offs though. As things stand our group is the one where second place is likely to miss out on the play offs.

Just had a quick look at the groups and it doesn't make good viewing regarding the 2nd spots.

Quote Originally Posted by bluethrough View Post
    Just had a quick look at the groups and it doesn't make good viewing regarding the 2nd spots.

That's the worry

That's the worry

Maybe Russia will get banned from the competition for drugs or something.

Quote Originally Posted by bluethrough View Post
    Maybe Russia will get banned from the competition for drugs or something.
    They didn't in 2004 when one of their players failed a drug test after they beat us in a playoff.

If we win all 4 games and finish on 20 I'd be amazed that we don't get a play off place. Still 3 other groups where 2nd are on 13 points with only 9 to play for.

If we were to win our remaining 3 games, how likely is that position to remain, given that I'd expect other teams to drop points somewhere? I haven't looked and don't fancy wading through tables to see what the situation is!

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    If we were to win our remaining 3 games, how likely is that position to remain, given that I'd expect other teams to drop points somewhere? I haven't looked and don't fancy wading through tables to see what the situation is!
    Our points gained against Moldova won't count when calculating the best 8 second place teams. That's why it's likely to be our group thst will miss out on the play offs.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bloop View Post
    Our points gained against Moldova won't count when calculating the best 8 second place teams. That's why it's likely to be our group thst will miss out on the play offs.
    Ok, from that I'm guessing that all the other likely 2nd placed teams have dropped points against the bottom teams in their group.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    Ok, from that I'm guessing that all the other likely 2nd placed teams have dropped points against the bottom teams in their group.
    I think it's that once those points have gone other 2nd place teams are likely to have more points. We're in a tight group and the higher number of draws is likely to count against whomever finishes 2nd

So we would end up with 14 points if we win our remaining games?

Quote Originally Posted by jamieccfc View Post
    So we would end up with 14 points if we win our remaining games?
    Eh? We're on 11 now, three wins would put us on 20

Quote Originally Posted by TH63 View Post
    Eh? We're on 11 now, three wins would put us on 20
    Our points won't count against moldova

Our points won't count against moldova
    Sorry, I. Ay be being a bit thick, but you've lost me there

Quote Originally Posted by TH63 View Post
    Sorry, I. Ay be being a bit thick, but you've lost me there
    The best runners up will be based on their record against 1st 3rd 4th and 5th I'm assuming it's by points gained in the games and not some mad formula FIFA has made up

The best runners up will be based on their record against 1st 3rd 4th and 5th I'm assuming it's by points gained in the games and not some mad formula FIFA has made up
    Ah, i see what you mean.

We could go the whole group without losing a game and still not make play offs

Perhaps a pre play off game of the worst runners up would be fairer

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    We could go the whole group without losing a game and still not make play offs

Perhaps a pre play off game of the worst runners up would be fairer
    I don't get it we all have the same seeds it should be the ones with the highest points at the end surely

It just seems remarkably stupid that the authorities have devised a system whereby runners up in 8 of the nine groups make the play offs penalising the team in a really tight group that finishes second but doesn't qualify for a play off place.

After this.

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/f...young-12182795

I can believe anything when it comes to mad formulas for deciding who qualifies and who doesn't.

Looks like we need more scores like Finland 1 Iceland 0 in other groups.

I don't get it we all have the same seeds it should be the ones with the highest points at the end surely
    Yeah just looked at the groups, they all have 6 teams it's not like one group has 5?!?

Group H looks like being our saviour. Providing we win all our games and finish on 20 points (or 14 excluding Moldova points) then if Belgium beat Greece tonight they can only finish on 19 points (or 13 excluding Gilbraltar points).

Bosnia can get same points as us if we both win our last 3 games but they also have Belgium to play so will hopefully drop points there.

So basically we need a little help from our Belgian friends in their next 2 away games.

All this is hopeless if we don't win our last 3 of course.

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    Yeah just looked at the groups, they all have 6 teams it's not like one group has 5?!?

Group H looks like being our saviour. Providing we win all our games and finish on 20 points (or 14 excluding Moldova points) then if Belgium beat Greece tonight they can only finish on 19 points (or 13 excluding Gilbraltar points).

Bosnia can get same points as us if we both win our last 3 games but they also have Belgium to play so will hopefully drop points there.

So basically we need a little help from our Belgian friends in their next 2 away games.

All this is hopeless if we don't win our last 3 of course.
    I still think Wales can top the group. Need Ireland to beat them on Tuesday, then for Wales to win all remaining games. Serbia still have to go to Austria who are a good team.

If Ireland beat Serbia and Wales beat Moldova the group looks like this

Ireland 16
    Serbia 15
    Wales 14.

Serbia then go to Austria, Ireland play Moldova and Wales have the tricky game in Georgia. Assuming Wales and Ireland win, and Serbia fail to win we have

Ireland 19
    Wales 17

Going into the last game.