+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Woodburn announces himself.

Woodburn announces himself.

Re: Woodburn announces himself.

Spot on report. Summed up the game and how the group stands. I thought we were going out of contention during the game and from my view in the Family stand didn't think Woodburn's shot was going in.

I don't always agree with Ratcliffe but he was spot on last night. He doesn't reckon Bale has been fully fit for eighteen months. When was the last time he ran at pace past defenders? I remember his wonderful solo goal in the Spanish Cup final a few years ago. The injuries appear to have affected his pace.

Just to add the atmosphere was immense in that last fifteen minutes and up there with Belgium in June 15

Last 15mins were great.
    A little flat for the rest.
    Put it down to nerves.

Quote Originally Posted by James fox View Post
    Last 15mins were great.
    A little flat for the rest.
    Put it down to nerves.
    You can get tablets for your nerves.

An excellent report as always Paul

I'm still fuming that Robson-Kanu failed to square the ball to Bale, for what would have been a definite second goal.

Out motto/mantra is Together/Stronger. Robson Kanu made it look like Selfish/Weaker. Who does he think he is, Harry Kane? I think that wonder goal against Belgium has gone to his head a wee tad.

If I was Coleman I'd tear him a new asshole, and make it quite clear to him that Vokes, bar injury, will be starting the next three Wales games for definite.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Soul '68 View Post
    An excellent report as always Paul

I'm still fuming that Robson-Kanu failed to square the ball to Bale, for what would have been a definite second goal.

Out motto/mantra is Together/Stronger. Robson Kanu made it look like Selfish/Weaker. Who does he think he is, Harry Kane? I think that wonder goal against Belgium has gone to his head a wee tad.

If I was Coleman I'd tear him a new asshole, and make it quite clear to him that Vokes, bar injury, will be starting the next three Wales games for definite.
    That's a bit harsh, he played very well after coming on and added some much needed pressure in closing down the Austrian defence, sure it went to his head at one point but that's the only fault I can think of in the 20 minutes he was on

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post
    That's a bit harsh, he played very well after coming on and added some much needed pressure in closing down the Austrian defence, sure it went to his head at one point but that's the only fault I can think of in the 20 minutes he was on
    Agreed. He is also a centre forward so is instinct is to go for goal. We look a better side with him rather than Vokes.

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post
    Harsh, yes. But true.

We were only 1-0 up and Austria were more than capable of snatching an equaliser. Which thankfully they didn't

The game would have been ours at 2-0

Harsh, yes. But true.

We were only 1-0 up and Austria were more than capable of snatching an equaliser. Which thankfully they didn't

The game would have been ours at 2-0
    I'm with you. That's unforgivable to not square the ball for a certain goal. I suspect opinions here would have been different if Austria had equalised

Did He look up to see if anyone was around him?
    If not, that is inexcusable.
    If he did and still decided to go for Goal, also Inexcusable.
    Hal is never going to come out of this looking good.

Sadly, from where I was sat, it looked like he only had glory in it for himself. How did it look from what part of the ground you were in, or from a S4C or Sky perspective?

Sadly, from where I was sat, it looked like he only had glory in it for himself. How did it look from what part of the ground you were in, or from a S4C or Sky perspective?
    Same from my seat.

Quote Originally Posted by James fox View Post
    Same from my seat.
    It was the same from all 34,000 seats in the ground.

Blue in the Face

Quote Originally Posted by Pearcey3 View Post
    I don't always agree with Ratcliffe but he was spot on last night. He doesn't reckon Bale has been fully fit for eighteen months. When was the last time he ran at pace past defenders? I remember his wonderful solo goal in the Spanish Cup final a few years ago. The injuries appear to have affected his pace.
    That's definitely true about Bale unfortunately and I think he's had to change his game permanently now. He's had a calf problem for about eighteen months and it was plain to see he was injured right the way through the Euros. There are lots of rumours that Real Madrid staff think he has longer term issues because he has such an usually intensity to his sprinting has hammered certain parts of his body. One slight positive is that there is less pressure for him to play too much because other players at Madrid have stepped up. If he does have long term issues, then buying clubs might not want to make offers that are worth accepting from a Real perspective.

Wales utilise him more as a roaming number 10 rather than a winger. It's hard to see Real thinking about him more centrally orientated. but I'd like to see him evolve into a similar role with his club football in the years to come and wouldn't be surprised to see it happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Pearcey3 View Post
    Agreed. He is also a centre forward so is instinct is to go for goal. We look a better side with him rather than Vokes.
    Don't agree with you there mate. Sometimes we need Vokes as a classic target man to pivot off, sometimes we need Hal to run the channels. Last night was a substitutes game I feel. The Austrians work rate super intense and ultimately unsustainable. From an Austrian perspective they gambled in that regard and messed up. The game was always going to open up in the last faze as it was effectively a cup final. Though I thought Cookie didn't get it right with his initial strategy he played a blinder in terms of adapting us to nullify them, with the players he had at his disposal. He would have had a rough idea of his subs. I reckon Hal was likely to be more effective for us in the closing twenty rather than the opening 70. Likewise, I think Lawrence would have had a lot more joy if he'd come on late in the game instead of starting.

Quote Originally Posted by Blue in the Face View Post
    That's definitely true about Bale unfortunately and I think he's had to change his game permanently now. He's had a calf problem for about eighteen months and it was plain to see he was injured right the way through the Euros. There are lots of rumours that Real Madrid staff think he has longer term issues because he has such an usually intensity to his sprinting has hammered certain parts of his body. One slight positive is that there is less pressure for him to play too much because other players at Madrid have stepped up. If he does have long term issues, then buying clubs might not want to make offers that are worth accepting from a Real perspective.

Wales utilise him more as a roaming number 10 rather than a winger. It's hard to see Real thinking about him more centrally orientated. but I'd like to see him evolve into a similar role with his club football in the years to come and wouldn't be surprised to see it happen

Don't agree with you there mate. Sometimes we need Vokes as a classic target man to pivot off, sometimes we need Hal to run the channels. Last night was a substitutes game I feel. The Austrians work rate super intense and ultimately unsustainable. From an Austrian perspective they gambled in that regard and messed up. The game was always going to open up in the last faze as it was effectively a cup final. Though I thought Cookie didn't get it right with his initial strategy he played a blinder in terms of adapting us to nullify them, with the players he had at his disposal. He would have had a rough idea of his subs. I reckon Hal was likely to be more effective for us in the closing twenty rather than the opening 70. Likewise, I think Lawrence would have had a lot more joy if he'd come on late in the game instead of starting.

Fair comments and the subs worked a treat. I thought Vokes heading was poor last night though and he doesn't offer much else. HRK holds up the ball really well and links up the play better.

Hal will know he dropped a bollock and will probably never do that again in a Wales shirt, it is pretty inexcusable at the moment especially when Bale is screaming for the ball. It would've been a lot worse if Austria went ahead and scored, we should have won it 2-0 at least.

HRK almost made up for it at the end by hitting the post but it should have been done before that. He will learn from it and move on.