+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Have Cardiff City fans forgiven Vincent Tan without realising it?

Have Cardiff City fans forgiven Vincent Tan without realising it?

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/s...ncent-13561180

After taking the club from blue to red and back again, have Bluebirds supporters finally forgiven the club's owner?

Is it time to forgive Vincent Tan?

Or have most of us Cardiff City fans done that already?

It was scarf night against Brighton in 2013 that I reached my personal Tan-regime nadir.

The Cardiff City Stadium was full of red thanks to the free scarves handed out to supporters as they entered the ground. I refused one and sat solemnly through the match, watching us lose 2-0 and looking at my fellow Bluebirds, wondering what had happened to this grand old club.

We were a winning side that season. But I couldn’t help but feel a nagging sense of sadness, even when thousands swarmed the pitch to celebrate promotion that Tuesday night against Charlton.

And I knew who I blamed for that discomfort.

I’d taken a pragmatic approach to red – reasoning that we’d eventually return to blue and I’d be there, way after Vincent Tan had gone, to see that day.

In the meantime, going down the City was still going down the City. I just had to put up with the, erm, Bluebirds turning out in colours Manchester United or Liverpool would feel more at home wearing.

For all the pragmatism, the red thing felt weird – improper.

When fans chanted at us “You’ve sold your history”, I’d inwardly clap them, thinking to myself “Well yes, we have”.

But success and the chance to see Cardiff City in Premier League was enough to keep me and many others shamefully silent.

It remained a debate in the family between my brother, father and me: was all this worth it if we get to see City in the Prem? But for me, that’s where it began and ended.

I understood the feelings of those fans who’d turned their backs on the club, who viewed those of us who still went down as scabs – though I disagreed with their actions as much as they disagreed with mine.

Tan had come to us with a deal: I’ll turn your club red, in exchange for the kind of success you’ve been crying out for decades.

We’d swallowed that red pill, some more reluctantly than others, and success was the reward.

We won the Championship, only the third time in the history of the club that we’d won a league outright.

History matters in football. It’s part of the mythology.

I speak as someone who went on the marches against Peter Ridsdale – but has always loyal to the team: I’ve never booed a player, nor a performance – no matter how dire. Having watched City since the mid-80s, that includes some pretty terrible football and woeful players.

The red issue was bound to come to a head at some point, the moment things on the pitch started to go wrong.

That came in the particularly sour period when Malky Mackay and Vincent Tan were in a standoff and the fans passionately backed Mackay.

“Don’t sack Mackay,” we sang to Tan – ignorant of the allegations to come and oblivious to the irony that we’d become more impassioned and united about a manager than we were about the colours of the club.

But it was this moment which galvanised and united supporters over the colours and, ultimately, tacit reconciliation between fans and Tan.

After Mackay left, a period of particularly dire football followed and with it the appointment of arguably three of the worse Bluebirds managers ever – maybe marginally better than Russell Osman and Alan Durban. But only maybe.

With each dour Russell Slade performance, it felt as though Tan was punishing us for wanting our team to play in blue.

Every insipid game played out before ever-dwindling crowds was a statement about our place in the Cardiff City reality, and his.

Well, that’s what you could assume. What else was there to think when things seemed so bleak?

Amid a Football League transfer embargo, we had Alex Revell leading our line for goodness sake.

But perhaps all this was part of a Vincent Tan grand plan.

Because the sacking of Paul Trollope last season and the appointment of Neil Warnock has proved nothing more than a masterstroke, in public relations and football terms.

It’s academic whether it’s Tan or chairman Mehmet Dalman who can take the credit for bringing in Warnock. Because ultimately it is Tan who gave the appointment the go ahead and it is Tan who’s given Warnock freedom in the transfer market.

And what a summer transfer window we have just had, 10 new signings to bolster a team already boasting the likes of Kenneth Zohore, Bruno Manga, Sol Bamba, Aron Gunnarsson and our skipper Sean Morrison.

Warnock’s arrival at the Cardiff City Stadium is proof, if any is needed, that the most important person in a football club is its manager.

From him has come a sense of ambition and self-confidence; a realisation that we are Cardiff City and we are at our best when we’re fighting as underdogs – no pretty tiki-taka football, but gritty, determined and direct play.

With Warnock has come a passion that has been lacking since Mackay’s departure.

There is an excitement at the club that we’ve not had since our many trips to Wembley; since our Sam Hammam promotions; since the great Eddie May era.

What has all this meant for my view on Tan?

Well, he brought back the blue, invested in the team, showed commitment with the appointment of Warnock – he’s doing the things a steady-as-you-go owner does.

The fact that Kenneth Zohore remains a City player after so much speculation through the transfer window has only gone to make Tan look even more benevolent.

We still have a Cardiff City Football Club to support and we still play in blue. That’s enough to be grateful for to me.

It must have been difficult for Vincent Tan coming into an alien culture so entwined and embedded in community, tribalism – colour.

How could he ever have understood how fans would feel when he changed us from royal blue to his favourite scarlet red?

So here’s my opening question again, posed slightly differently: have we forgiven Tan?

I think we probably have as we cheer such vintage football right now, even if we might not care to admit it.

Re: Have Cardiff City fans forgiven Vincent Tan without realising it?

I was a reluctant red from the off, as I could see the bigger picture and well remember the club encircled by the HMRC vultures, dangling their winding up orders and court appearances. We really were up shi*t creek back then, and not for the first time.

Amid that backdrop, the red for investment was for me, a necesary evil to keep the club alive for myself, my kids and my potential grandkids.

I always felt it would be a temporary thing, therefore I simply couldn't let myself get too worked up about it.

Several years on, we're back in Blue, sit top of the league with five wins from five, have a wealthy owner who now seems to have understood the football culture, have had the best ever transfer window (both in and out) and possess vast footballing knowledge throughout the club.

I personally couldn't be happier with the way things have turned out and have great hope for the future.

In answer to the original question - I haven't forgiven Tan. Largely as I didn't accuse him in the first place.

Ive never had a problem with him he's done well by us ,kept us afloat in stormy financial times, the red thing was a strange one, but not strange enough for me to turn my back on my club

Quote Originally Posted by Arfur Europe View Post
    I was a reluctant red from the off, as I could see the bigger picture and well remember the club encircled by the HMRC vultures, dangling their winding up orders and court appearances. We really were up shi*t creek back then, and not for the first time.

Amid that backdrop, the red for investment was for me, a necesary evil to keep the club alive for myself, my kids and my potential grandkids.

I always felt it would be a temporary thing, therefore I simply couldn't let myself get too worked up about it.

Several years on, we're back in Blue, sit top of the league with five wins from five, have a wealthy owner who now seems to have understood the football culture, have had the best ever transfer window (both in and out) and possess vast footballing knowledge throughout the club.

I personally couldn't be happier with the way things have turned out and have great hope for the future.

In answer to the original question - I haven't forgiven Tan. Largely as I didn't accuse him in the first place.
    This was my thoughts aswell

red was a a necessary evil to keep the club from following Newport, Portsmouth, Wrexham etc etc as it happens, Pompey have found a saviour to push them on again, but plenty of other clubs dont

Yes red wasnt great, but neither was the other option

Collectively, the Cardiff City supporters were not upset by the rebrand, and Tan was "forgiven" as soon as Cardiff played and beat Huddersfield on the opening day of 2012-13. A sea of red at a game a few months later showed that the fans were, collectively, happy with Tan's vandalism.

Fans wearing the traditional blue colours were verbally abused during games, in particular that game against Brighton.

The only thing you collectively didn't forgive Tan for was relegation.

Me, I cannot forgive someone until they apologise. He doesn't think he's done anything wrong. Can't stand him, but at least I am not fickle.

Things were not as bad as you portray them to have been. TG was steadying the ship and was keeping the wolves from the door, and was giving a good chief executive freedom to bring in someone like Mackay.

Then Tan got involved.

Quote Originally Posted by blue matt View Post
    This was my thoughts aswell

red was a a necessary evil to keep the club from following Newport, Portsmouth, Wrexham etc etc as it happens, Pompey have found a saviour to push them on again, but plenty of other clubs dont

Yes red wasnt great, but neither was the other option
    The other option being TG running the club without Tan coming on board? Or have you also forgotten about the period between Ridsdale and Tab.

Red was unnecessary, and I am grateful that the episode means I don't get to share a stadium with a group of fickle apologists who put success over tradition.

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    Ive never had a problem with him he's done well by us ,kept us afloat in stormy financial times, the red thing was a strange one, but not strange enough for me to turn my back on my club
    a man who talks sense

Quote Originally Posted by Blooburd View Post
    a man who talks sense
    Ask Vincent Tan whose club it is.

Everything seems great at the moment.
    Tan and the club have been doing and saying all the right things of late. As have the manager, players and majority of fans.
    I hope it stays that way.

We cannot always remain amid a winning euphoria, but if Tan continues to do, and say the right thing, then we should move forward with positivity also.
    Is that 'forgiveness'? - for what went on before? I suppose , by way of deed, that it is.

I wish the whole saga would just be left in the past.

It upset some people and it didn't upset others. People have the right to be upset and people have the right to think it's only a shirt colour.

There's no such thing as "red lovers or "martyrs" just people who get pissed off by different things.

One thing I do know is that the whole issue was and is very divisive so I don't know why it's continually brought up.

Would someone care to explain why I still see the occasional red scarf at the CCS?

Quote Originally Posted by thehumblegringo View Post

It upset some people and it didn't upset others. People have the right to be upset and people have the right to think it's only a shirt colour.

There's no such thing as "red lovers or "martyrs" just people who get pissed off by different things.

One thing I do know is that the whole issue was and is very divisive so I don't know why it's continually brought up.
    Agreed. People often try to portray the supporters of a football club as one body with a collective opinion that they all share when the truth is that they are a bunch of individuals who all have different reactions to any given situation - some were more tolerant of the rebrand five years ago and the same is true today.

As for forgiving Tan, currently we are a club that is behaving more sensibly on the financial front, with an outlook which is more in tune with the sort of club we are (middle ranking Championship, just about to lose their parachute payments) - there are also a couple of bonuses in that we are top of the league and we have a manager who the large majority of fans are completely behind.

Little wonder then that Vincent Tan is probably as popular now as he has been at any time since the rebrand announcement. However, a few defeats on the pitch, a falling out with Warnock off it and things will start to look different - Vincent Tan is damaged goods in some ways, because the rebrand is always going to be there to be held against him in times which are worse than they are now.

My thoughts exactly.

It always seemed odd to me that people who purported to love the club were happy to see it go under for the colour of the shirt. Of course it was an unpopular decision but in the overall scheme of things it was that big a deal. Given the abuse Tan received I wouldn't have blamed him one bit if he walked away. But he didn't and is still pouring money into the club. That says a lot for me.

Time is a healer.

That would be nice and convenient wouldn't it

I bet the Nottingham miners think the same

Over 100 years of history and our most embarrassing moment happened on our shift. The "whole saga" will still be remembered in another 100 years

Quote Originally Posted by Rhiw-Blue View Post
    That would be nice and convenient wouldn't it

I bet the Nottingham miners think the same

Over 100 years of history and our most embarrassing moment happened on our shift. The "whole saga" will still be remembered in another 100 years
    Did you really just compare the miners strikes, where men couldnt support their families, and people lost their lives, to a football club playing in the wrong colour for 2.5 years?

Another pathetic attempt to make copy from the bitter re-brand farrago. It's about time we move on as no-one can say anything we haven't heard before. Me included.

The press have to fill pages every day and readers react like sheep, giving whatever subject matter further oxygen.

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    Did you really just compare the miners strikes, where men couldnt support their families, and people lost their lives, to a football club playing in the wrong colour for 2.5 years?
    People died in the Black Death as well, bloody Central Asia not supporting them

Quote Originally Posted by Vindec View Post
    It always seemed odd to me that people who purported to love the club were happy to see it go under for the colour of the shirt. Of course it was an unpopular decision but in the overall scheme of things it was that big a deal. Given the abuse Tan received I wouldn't have blamed him one bit if he walked away. But he didn't and is still pouring money into the club. That says a lot for me.
    I think we established long ago that 'red or dead' was a load of bollox. Tan said it himself at the time in all fairness and it's been proven since. It was others around the club and some fans who kept perpetuating it.

Fans who protested in any way didn't want the club to go under, they wanted him to change course. I really like the way things have been managed over the last couple of seasons and it's a real shame this approach wasn't adopted a few seasons back. But it's now time to move on for me in the hope lessons have been learned. With this in mind I do wish he would shut up about Mackay and just get on with doing whatever he thinks he needs to do there.

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    No

Quote Originally Posted by Kris View Post
    The other option being TG running the club without Tan coming on board? Or have you also forgotten about the period between Ridsdale and Tab.

that was a very short term solution as i am not sure TG had the money, he would have had to have someone with money behind him

If only the hero stay-away-ers would move on eh

Quote Originally Posted by ninianclark View Post
    Ooh get you. Maybe vince will round your house and apologise to you in person.
    Why should he apologise? If my memory isn't playing tricks on me didn't it go along the lines of

VT I'll give you a shitload if money if we play in red

Board hmm shitloads of money you say? We'll play in pink tutu's if you want

VT ok then, here's the dosh

Sure he was ill advised, but somebody told him it wouldn't be a problem and I almost feel sorry for the bloke, knowing little about football, the culture or us, he wasn't ready for the shitstorm of abuse he received. Put yourselves in his shoes. Invest a load of money expecting us to be grateful only to get dogs abuse and to cap it all the bloke you've trusted with that money pisses most of it away.

For my money, his actions (returning us to blue and STILL pumping money in) speak far louder than any words of apology.

I get that people can't get past what happened, I really do, but you must surely get to the point of forgetting about it and going back to enjoying your football or you REALLY forget about it and go and do something that does make you happy. If posting the same old arguments about Tan is what makes people happy then surely they need to reevaluate their life choices.
    I'd like to think that most of us have many years left on this planet, are we still going to be having this argument when we're all geriatric?