Quote Originally Posted by Kris View Post
I suspect that a number of stories have altered over the years too.

A friend of mine once told me a story (I can't verify the truthfulness of the story, but knowing the story teller I think it's highly likely to be true) of an American and his wife (both white) who went to Japan to work. Both were devoutly religious.

Anyway, after a few months, the wife became pregnant and, lo and behold, when she gave birth she gave birth to a mixed-race child.

The husband insisted to my friend that he was the father, and he gave a story about some bloke in the Bible who worked on a farm and fell in love with the owner's daughter.

The owner disapproved of the relationship, and would only allow the farm hand to marry his daughter if he worked on the farm without any pay. The farm hand did that, and so the father allowed him to marry one of his daughters, but not the one he wanted.

He protested, and the owner again set him some challenge and again the farm hand completed the challenge and so the father allowed him to marry the daughter that the farm hand had fallen for.

The father forced the boy to continue working on the farm, but promised him that any speckled sheep he reared would be his. All the sheep were white. So, the farmhand spent his time forcing the sheep to look at speckled objects (I think it was trees) and, boom, one day a sheep gave birth to a speckled sheep and another and another. And, fairly soon, the farm hand had a whole flock of speckled sheep.

So, the American reasoned that his wife had spent the past year looking at nothing other than the Japanese locals and that explained why "his" son was of mixed race.

Reminds me of the story of a white missionary who went to an isolated tribe in Africa.
Nearly a year fter he arrived, a young black female gave birth to a "pale" baby.
Outraged, the chief called the missionary for an explanation.
Thinking quickly, the missionary pointed to the sheep the tribe kept.
" you see that most sheep are white, but occasionally, one is born with a black face"
"ok", said the chief "I not tell if you not tell"