+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: 4 at the back the future for Wales?

4 at the back the future for Wales?

We had lots of success playing 5 at the back, but much of that was down to soaking up pressure and being able to hit teams on the break.

With an extra attacking or midfield option, we're now a team that is capable of taking a game to teams, something I wouldn't have said a couple of years ago. Yes, a back 5 might be needed against top notch opposition, but surely a back 4 is the way to go for the rest of the group.

Re: 4 at the back the future for Wales?

Tonight it was more like a 2 at the back, Davies was playing centrally much of the time and Gunter was pushed way forward.

Back to 5 against Georgia and Ireland for me

Quote Originally Posted by jamieccfc View Post
    Back to 5 against Georgia and Ireland for me
    Not sure I agree.
    We definitely need a result in Georgia or the Irish will leap frog us again with a comfortable home game against Moldova.
    That may result in Ireland coming to Cardiff for the final game, simply wanting a draw to make the play off's.
    We need to be bold in our final games and go for 2 wins.

Quote Originally Posted by DubaiDai View Post
    Not sure I agree.
    We definitely need a result in Georgia or the Irish will leap frog us again with a comfortable home game against Moldova.
    That may result in Ireland coming to Cardiff for the final game, simply wanting a draw to make the play off's.
    But Georgia would suit us to hit them on the break Ireland and is still need to win both games to stand any chance of finishing in the top 8 2nd place teams

We'll need two wins just to make the play offs. Even if we finish second with 18 points I don't think that'll be enough. The Irish are probably already out as the best tally they can achieve is 19 points which I think may make them the worst second place finish.

Quote Originally Posted by DubaiDai View Post
    Not sure I agree.
    One team gets knocked out even if they are second. Wales have to win both games. Serbia will win the group now and the draw to Georgia is the only bad result for Wales so far.

5 of the back suited when we didn't have that much creativity up the pitch so replaced with a solid defender. Now we have Woodburn we can go 4 at the back IMO

It depends on the opposition but i'd like to see our regular formation become 4 at the back and only resorting to 5 at the back for the toughest games. We do seem to have the players now for 4-2-3-1

Quote Originally Posted by jamieccfc View Post
    But Georgia would suit us to hit them on the break
    Georgia are a better team in possession than Austria. To hand them more possession in midfield would be suicidal. We know how the home game went against them. It was embarrassing at times. We need to match them in the middle and have more attacking options.