+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cornelius

Cornelius

Just scored in serie a.

Re: Cornelius

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    Just scored in serie a.
    How is that even possible? I thought he was League One standard and couldn't hit a barn door.

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    How is that even possible? I thought he was League One standard and couldn't hit a barn door.
    I thought he was a parks player. Must just be a freak occurrence

I thought he was a parks player. Must just be a freak occurrence
    It was an own goal

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    He couldn't. When he briefly played for us, other players were telling him where he should be.

People seem to have their own agenda and conveniently forget the point was that Cornelius was bought for big money, given big wages, given the number 9 shirt and only after it became clear he couldn't cut it at Prem level at that point in his career he got called a project.

If he'd been bought for say £2m, wages say 10k and explicitly called a project from day one, there wouldn't have been a problem and he'd have had time to develop or not.

Quote Originally Posted by ccfc_is_my_life View Post
    He couldn't. When he briefly played for us, other players were telling him where he should be.

People seem to have their own agenda and conveniently forget the point was that Cornelius was bought for big money, given big wages, given the number 9 shirt and only after it became clear he couldn't cut it at Prem level at that point in his career he got called a project.

If he'd been bought for say £2m, wages say 10k and explicitly called a project from day one, there wouldn't have been a problem and he'd have had time to develop or not.
    Cornelius got injured, then got a public dressing down from Tan and that was the end of his time in Wales.

Just scored in serie a.
    He played well overall.

Quote Originally Posted by Kris View Post
    Cornelius got injured, then got a public dressing down from Tan and that was the end of his time in Wales.
    When he did come on, he looked lost like a deer in the headlights. Again, if the fee was a lot less, wages a lot less then we could have afforded to carry him to see if he could progress.

He cost £10m. Medel, Caulker both £8m - £8.5m. Both instant starters. For the money spent on Cornelius, there's no argument he should have been at the level of being able to make an impact instantly. No way we would carry him on the money he was on.

When he did come on, he looked lost like a deer in the headlights. Again, if the fee was a lot less, wages a lot less then we could have afforded to carry him to see if he could progress.

He cost £10m. Medel, Caulker both £8m - £8.5m. Both instant starters. For the money spent on Cornelius, there's no argument he should have been at the level of being able to make an impact instantly. No way we would carry him on the money he was on.
    And this was all somehow his fault?

Quote Originally Posted by Sgt. Pepper View Post
    And this was all somehow his fault?
    Has anybody said it was? As I said a while ago, wrong move at the wrong time for him. If we'd persisted with him then a few years down the line he may have progressed enough, but that's a stupid thing to do whilst paying him 45k a week. There's no justification at that point in time for doing anything other than selling Cornelius - if the player had agreed to a vast reduction in wages ( which would never happen ), then keep him. All we could do was minimise the loss.

Indeed. Alongside the then CCFC Pantomime that he woke up in, I think it is at least possible that he got caught up in a professional situation that he rapidly realised that he was not up to, and/or not ready for, and maybe even faced hostility.
    And likely wanted out ASAP.
    Just a hunch.

I doubt many footballers would want out of a 45k per week contract. Not impossible, just not very likely. It was probably more the case he knew the club wanted rid of that contract and by consequence him.

I meant 'Wanted away from CCFC'.

Well, it seems his career is on track, good luck to him.

Just a hunch.
    Don't let that stop you

Others here are making up sh*t again as they go along again I see.

The ones that are happy to sit back and agree with everything the hierarchy throw at them are the reason we've had to endure the current regime. A few seem to be auditioning for the next Tan birthday video

Medel and Caulker both being defensive players? Pickford and Buffon being the most expensive keepers (i believe) but about a third of the price of most expensive players of all time. Who is the most expensive defender?

Teams get a reputation for how they handle youngsters breaking into the team, for how they handle players from abroad. Cornelius may have been the worst player in our history (he's not) but we have attracted attention for how we treated him, and still treat him, as part of Tan's personal dispute with Malky. We also lost money (if that is the key thing) because running down a players reputation is no way to recoup money.

I have never believed he's the "worst player in our history". Far from it. it's laughable that history is being re-invented that somehow magically it was all down to Tan.

Whilst he was nowhere near the "worst player in our history", it's pretty obvious it the was "worst contract in our history". I find it staggering that nobody seems to recall that expectations were high for Cornelius due to the way Mackay bigged him up. Cornelius was clearly presented as someone ready for the Prem. Maybe that's why he had the contract he did - there's little to no chance Tan would have sanctioned such a ridiculous contract if informed the player was intended to be a long-term project.

Again, I refer you to the pressure that Tan put on his young shoulders. A £10m striker - no chance, but he's better than his time at Cardiff.

Medel cost £11m and was a recognised international, Caulker had had a few seasons in the Premier before Cardiff. When Cornelius signed, I suspect you were one of the ones wetting your pants over the you tube videos.

Quote Originally Posted by Rhiw-Blue View Post
    A few seem to be auditioning for the next Tan birthday video
    5 wins seems to have a few Cardiff fans running to the library to rip up the history books. It's Orwellian just how much history has been re-written here in the last few weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by Kris View Post
    Again, I refer you to the pressure that Tan put on his young shoulders. A £10m striker - no chance, but he's better than his time at Cardiff.

Medel cost £11m and was a recognised international, Caulker had had a few seasons in the Premier before Cardiff. When Cornelius signed, I suspect you were one of the ones wetting your pants over the you tube videos.
    Not at all. I know you want to make things like that up to bolster your view, but not true. I've not wet my pants since toilet training many moons ago, nor do I use Youtube.

Did Cornelius have the physique to do well? Sure. Was he mentally there? Probably not. Massive leap up in standard of play after all.

The problem was the way Cornelius had been billed and the contract. As I keep saying, if he had been signed as a project, lower fee, lower wages then we could have afforded to be more patient with him, brought him along. He still may not have developed here, who knows? I suspect he'd have progressed well enough, especially after the drop to the Championship and certainly under Warnock.

The signing fee, wages meant he was too costly to be kept playing DVP level matches, the odd sub appearance here and there. Once it became apparent he wasn't going to be a goal scoring attacker capable of helping us stay in the Prem, that contract damned him.

Quote Originally Posted by Rhiw-Blue View Post
    Don't let that stop you

Others here are making up sh*t again as they go along again I see.

The ones that are happy to sit back and agree with everything the hierarchy throw at them are the reason we've had to endure the current regime. A few seem to be auditioning for the next Tan birthday video
    Whilst you on the other hand are sitting in your Tan proof bunker, all bitter and twisted, not enjoying anything about the way the club is being run now and the way the team is playing. Every now and again you stick your head above the parapet and have a moan about all us gullible idiots who are actually enjoying ourselves and looking forward to the rest of the season and then you retreat back in to your morose world waiting for the next opportunity to have a go.

He's still got time to see his project through. A poor signing and way behind recent strikers on a par perhaps with the mighty Gavin Gorden ,maybe not Gavin scored 6 for us.

Indeed. Alongside the then CCFC Pantomime that he woke up in, I think it is at least possible that he got caught up in a professional situation that he rapidly realised that he was not up to, and/or not ready for, and maybe even faced hostility.
    And likely wanted out ASAP.
    Just a hunch.
    He was disliked , probably a bit of jealousy about his wages . He wasn't held in high regard by his fellow pros.

Just scored in serie a.
    And in the Champions' League and at international level.

StT.
    <><