+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: PC power button not working Help

PC power button not working Help

My PC power button doesn't work any more gradually stopped working. Anyone know what colour wires i touch together to boot it up.? On my old pc ut was orange and white wires. But cant see either of these colours anywhere near the power button switch on the Hewlett Packard pc i have now? Could thw the power wire be a different colour?

Blog Entries

Re: PC power button not working Help

I had no idea you could hot wire a PC.

Have you tried turning it off and on again?

Quote Originally Posted by uncle bob View Post
    My PC power button doesn't work any more gradually stopped working. Anyone know what colour wires i touch together to boot it up.? On my old pc ut was orange and white wires. But cant see either of these colours anywhere near the power button switch on the Hewlett Packard pc i have now? Could thw the power wire be a different colour?

DONT CUT THE BLUE WIRE LMAO

The connectors on the motherboard are sometimes labelled, and sometimes they are joined as a header which may make your life easier.

If you find a block with two cables going in then that'll probably be the power switch, if you pull that one out, then put a screwdriver across the two pins it was covering the machine should boot, if it doesn't then something else is wrong.

Or google your motherboards make and model and see which connector is the power switch.

at the rear of the swtich it should have 3 leads, one will be the led ( if the swtich unit has a LED built in, most used to )
    you will then see the 2 cables, trace them back to the mobo ( to be sure ) then you could MAKE SURE THE POWER IS OFF and then cut and join them

I have done it aload of times on old PC's, back when they were 3 and 486's the switches were crap then