+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Driving to Preston

Driving to Preston

Seem to remember a few posts about alternative routes to Wolves a few weeks ago due to major roadworks from Worcester onwards. We got the train so it didn't affect us but driving tomorrow. Is it still the same? And can anyone who knows them roads better than me advise the best route to take?

Thanks

Re: Driving to Preston

Quote Originally Posted by SunderlandBluebird View Post
    Seem to remember a few posts about alternative routes to Wolves a few weeks ago due to major roadworks from Worcester onwards. We got the train so it didn't affect us but driving tomorrow. Is it still the same? And can anyone who knows them roads better than me advise the best route to take?

Thanks
    Can't think of an alternative route , leave yourself at least an extra hour .

There's roadworks on the flyover by Birmingham too, 30mph the whole way until you're on the M6.

They've done a sly trick though to minimise the traffic heading north over the flyover, the matrix signs suggest taking the M42 to get to the M6 rather than carry on on the M5 and just before the turn off they've taken the m5 down to 1 lane for about a mile. The only reason for the cones is to trick people into thinking the queues are really bad and they jump on the M42.

It's worse coming back down though, took over half an hour to get from the M6 onto the M5...

You can go via A470 up through Wales via Builth to Newtown, then head to Welshpool, Chester and then on to the M6 via the M56.

It's a route I use almost everytime I visit family in Lancashire. Takes longer but you keep moving.

Mrs M used the M5 / M6 a couple of weeks ago and it took ages with lots of queues.

M5/M6 is great when it's flowing but a nightmare when it isn't.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Morris View Post
    You can go via A470 up through Wales via Builth to Newtown, then head to Welshpool, Chester and then on to the M6 via the M56.
    It's a route I use almost everytime I visit family in Lancashire. Takes longer but you keep moving.
    Mrs M used the M5 / M6 a couple of weeks ago and it took ages with lots of queues.
    M5/M6 is great when it's flowing but a nightmare when it isn't.
    Are you out on bail then?

Thanks for the suggestions but don't really going through Wales as that can be a nightmare too. Looks like the best option may be to set off a bit earlier and grin and bear it!

Quote Originally Posted by SunderlandBluebird View Post
    Thanks for the suggestions but don't really going through Wales as that can be a nightmare too. Looks like the best option may be to set off a bit earlier and grin and bear it!
    Have a look at this route...
    M5/J6 Worcester North onto A449.
    Follow A449 through Kidderminster to Wombourne
    At Wombourne roundabout take a right onto A463 to Sedgley, through Gospel End.
    Now the fiddly bit.
    Take a left into Sedgley, then a tight right (Bilston Road....looks very unpromising to start with) following A463 to Birmingham New Road.
    Left onto Birmingham New Road A4123 for a short distance
    Right onto A463 direction Walsall on the Black Country route. Keep going to M6 northbound. You will have cut out all the roadworks on various bits of motorway.
    Sounds complicated but isn't. But...likely to be lots of school traffic 3-4pm in Sedgley. If you can, try and get through Sedgley mid afternoon. A449 often has speed cameras hiding round bends on the 50mph sections.
    Night time return on M6/M5 (tunnel closed on M4??) should be quiet enough.