+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thinking of getting a homeless dog , advice on dog kennel needed

Thinking of getting a homeless dog , advice on dog kennel needed

Since my father died from Alzheimer's a year ago I have weighing up the pros and cons and have decided to give an unwanted dog a home

Where is the local dog pound in Cardiff

My local dogs trust in Bridgend is another option

I will of course look after the dog indoors during the winter months but was wondering if any of you who own a dog have an outside kennel and where I might get one , I had a dog thirty years ago and he liked nothing more than snoozing outdoors in the milder weather

Re: Thinking of getting a homeless dog , advice on dog kennel needed

As long as throbbing gristle accepts a new dog in the garden.

Throbbing gristle is now in doggy hell due to the overplaying of Sabbath during my stay on earth

I have dealt with dogs trust Bridgend in the past, found them to be very good,

Hi Sludge, Have you thought about a dog run for the dog?

Muight be easier and less mess in house, particularly if the dog is long haired.

What breed are you looking for?

The Cardiff dogs home is off Penarth Road. On the left hand side, if coming up from the City centre, just after you have gone under the A4232 Grangetown Link Rd.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Soul '68 View Post

Muight be easier and less mess in house, particularly if the dog is long haired.

The Cardiff dogs home is off Penarth Road. On the left hand side, if coming up from the City centre, just after you have gone under the A4232 Grangetown Link Rd.
    Or Sludge could go for a cockapoo as they don't molt and are lovely creatures

Sorry to hear about your loss Sludge. I remember a couple of years back both your parents were poorly.

A dog would be great. Wonderful creatures. Let us know what breed you go for in the end.

Don't forget Paul, A dog is for life, not something you can just drop after a few years like Facebook Friends.

Hope this helps.

Quote Originally Posted by chris lee View Post
    I have dealt with dogs trust Bridgend in the past, found them to be very good,
    Thanks Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Soul '68 View Post

Thank you for that

Why does my dog go mad when he sees the postman? I'm the one getting nothing but bills and the occasional summons.

Quote Originally Posted by ian gibson View Post
    Why does my dog go mad when he sees the postman? I'm the one getting nothing but bills and the occasional summons.
    Most probably suffering from "POSTPERSON TRAUMATIC STRESS DISORDER"

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    Since my father died from Alzheimer's a year ago I have weighing up the pros and cons and have decided to give an unwanted dog a home

Where is the local dog pound in Cardiff

My local dogs trust in Bridgend is another option

I will of course look after the dog indoors during the winter months but was wondering if any of you who own a dog have an outside kennel and where I might get one , I had a dog thirty years ago and he liked nothing more than snoozing outdoors in the milder weather
    I've never had any dealings with the Bridgend Dogs trust Sludge, but, based on my experiences with Cardiff Dogs Pound this year, I'd definitely recommend that you look in Bridgend, not Cardiff, for your new dog. I won't bore you with the full details of why I say that, but we had our first dog from the Cardiff pound in about 1981 and there's been three more since then that came from there with no problem whatsoever, but there's a new regime (that's exactly the right word to describe those currently in charge there) in place now and on each of the three occasions I've had dealings with them in the last nine months, they've left me disappointed, annoyed and feeling let down - I'm also out of pocket to the tune of nearly £100 thanks to them.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    I've never had any dealings with the Bridgend Dogs trust Sludge, but, based on my experiences with Cardiff Dogs Pound this year, I'd definitely recommend that you look in Bridgend, not Cardiff, for your new dog. I won't bore you with the full details of why I say that, but we had our first dog from the Cardiff pound in about 1981 and there's been three more since then that came from there with no problem whatsoever, but there's a new regime (that's exactly the right word to describe those currently in charge there) in place now and on each of the three occasions I've had dealings with them in the last nine months, they've left me disappointed, annoyed and feeling let down - I'm also out of pocket to the tune of nearly £100 thanks to them.
    It seems to be you are offering a dog a home yet they quiz you like the Gestapo !!

I went on the dog pound website and it doesn't seem they have many dogs up for adoption which I find hard to believe for a city of Cardiff's size

If you have to jump through a million hoops to prove you are genuinely looking to take a dog on its going to put people off and turn them towards the dreaded puppy farms

Mel B has just gone bankrupt, you could try her.

Your neighbours will love you. Dogs kept outside tend to bark all day long through boredom and noises from neighbouring properties and traffic.

Quote Originally Posted by Vindec View Post
    Your neighbours will love you. Dogs kept outside tend to bark all day long through boredom and noises from neighbouring properties and traffic.
    He will be indoors during the colder months

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Gillis View Post
    Mel B has just gone bankrupt, you could try her.
    Christ no

Maybe I need a low maintenance pet like a guinea pig , dogs are a huge commitment

It seems to be you are offering a dog a home yet they quiz you like the Gestapo !!

I went on the dog pound website and it doesn't seem they have many dogs up for adoption which I find hard to believe for a city of Cardiff's size

If you have to jump through a million hoops to prove you are genuinely looking to take a dog on its going to put people off and turn them towards the dreaded puppy farms
    Exactly.

I was told eight weeks ago that they wouldn't let me have a dog until I had moved house. I tried to explain that the move was unlikely to happen for at least five or six weeks, so there was plenty of time to get a new dog integrated with me and my two cats (who have both lived with dogs all of their lives), but they wouldn't have it.

So, eight weeks down the line with still no sign of the move happening any time soon and with me now really missing having a dog around the place after the longest period I've had without one since 1972, I've decided to take the risk of buying a puppy, which I'm picking up later this week, on Gumtree rather go through all that again. I realise the old system whereby you could go down there and bring a dog back with you as if you were visiting a shop may have been a licence for some people to give a dog a really bad home, but they've gone from one extreme to another now and someone like me who only wants to give an unwanted dog the best home possible is, effectively, being penalised.

Exactly.

I was told eight weeks ago that they wouldn't let me have a dog until I had moved house. I tried to explain that the move was unlikely to happen for at least five or six weeks, so there was plenty of time to get a new dog integrated with me and my two cats (who have both lived with dogs all of their lives), but they wouldn't have it.

So, eight weeks down the line with still no sign of the move happening any time soon and with me now really missing having a dog around the place after the longest period I've had without one since 1972, I've decided to take the risk of buying a puppy, which I'm picking up later this week, on Gumtree rather go through all that again. I realise the old system whereby you could go down there and bring a dog back with you as if you were visiting a shop may have been a licence for some people to give a dog a really bad home, but they've gone from one extreme to another now and someone like me who only wants to give an unwanted dog the best home possible is, effectively, being penalised.

That's what it used to be like , the impression I got was one of strict getting of a possible new owner when all I want to do is give the poor ****er a home !!!

Exactly.

That's what it used to be like , the impression I got was one of strict getting of a possible new owner when all I want to do is give the poor ****er a home !!!
    I have dealings with dogs homes, from some rescue work i do

the main reason on the " quiz you like the Gestapo " is that alot of dogs a while back were being rehomed only to be used at " bait dogs " or at least the homes were convinced they were, thus they are over the top with it now

and i am sure even the most heartless amongst us would not want that

Quote Originally Posted by blue matt View Post
    I have dealings with dogs homes, from some rescue work i do

the main reason on the " quiz you like the Gestapo " is that alot of dogs a while back were being rehomed only to be used at " bait dogs " or at least the homes were convinced they were, thus they are over the top with it now

and i am sure even the most heartless amongst us would not want that
    Well, all they've done in my case is ensure that someone who has gone to them as a first step in the quest to find a new dog for nearly forty years has now resolved not to use them ever again. You could ask anyone I've met since the first dog came into the family in 1972 to provide an example of me being cruel to or otherwise mistreating one of my dogs and they wouldn't find one - as mentioned before, I appreciate the need for ensuring that dogs go the "right" homes, but they've gone from one extreme to the other completely.

Like Bobsy, I went through the rescue dog route quite recently to quickly conclude that the red tape would likely result in a coronary. I was wary of Gumtree but saw the pup purchased at the seller's home to satisfy myself they weren't running a commercial operation.

Quote Originally Posted by Organ Morgan. View Post
    Like Bobsy, I went through the rescue dog route quite recently to quickly conclude that the red tape would likely result in a coronary. I was wary of Gumtree but saw the pup purchased at the seller's home to satisfy myself they weren't running a commercial operation.
    Yes, I've done the same - saw the puppy, and the five others in the litter, when I visited the seller last week.