+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Thinking of getting a homeless dog , advice on dog kennel needed

Re: Thinking of getting a homeless dog , advice on dog kennel needed

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    He will be indoors during the colder months
    OK. So it may only be a neighbourhood nuisance for the summer months but what about if your mainly outdoor dog barks when you are out even if it is kept indoors in the winter. However, it depends where you live, the property you live in and how often you are around to keep it company etc. You will need to choose the breed carefully. My neighbours have two Jack Russels and these dogs are driving me crazy to the point I am unable to use my garden next to their property as they pick up on every sound.

Quote Originally Posted by Vindec View Post
    OK. So it may only be a neighbourhood nuisance for the summer months but what about if your mainly outdoor dog barks when you are out even if it is kept indoors in the winter. However, it depends where you live, the property you live in and how often you are around to keep it company etc. You will need to choose the breed carefully. My neighbours have two Jack Russels and these dogs are driving me crazy to the point I am unable to use my garden next to their property as they pick up on every sound.

I totally get what you are saying mate that's why I am approaching rehoming organisations with an open mind

I had a dog over thirty years ago from a council pound and we were told he's ok outside , isn't a territory Barker etc and they were right

Maybe I need a low maintenance pet like a guinea pig , dogs are a huge commitment
    They are a big commitment but if you've got the time then they're well worth it.

Also, they're a babe magnet down the local park - not that you need any extra help in that department.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Lecter View Post
    They are a big commitment but if you've got the time then they're well worth it.

Also, they're a babe magnet down the local park - not that you need any extra help in that department.
    I am a grain of sand in a desert of infinity when it comes to women at the moment , I would need a pack of huskies

ref seeing the puppy and its parents in the home, while this does mean it is not a " puppy farm ", it also does not mean the bitch is bred every season and is just a money maker ( as a fair % are on gumtree etc etc )

If the dog is a pedigree, as for papers, the KC will only issue papers with 2 ( maybe 3 ) breedings per bitch, this will go along way to solving the dilemma of the " puppy farm " or as i like to call the smaller backyard breeders " Money makers "

It is not 100% though, i went to get a Japanese Akita many years from Weston super mare, saw both parents, nice enough home, 2 new cars on the drive, when i asked to see the garden, they said " oh its just Kennels for the dogs " of course it was, with 4 bitches in them, guess what, a mini puppy farm, 5 breeding bitches, 10 pups a year, 50 dogs, just as bad as the commercial puppy farms imho

of course if that issue doesnt bother you, then fine, crack on

Most rehoming places insist on a home visit these days, i know i have done a few, look at the rescuers who bring them in from Spain and Romania for example, they are saved from the " kill centers " i put people in touch with " leash of life " who do a cracking job, i am in no way involved with them, i just know of 5 people who have had dogs from them

http://leashoflife.co.uk

not sure if they are local to me, or around the UK, though i am sure a quick google will bring you a local one

Quote Originally Posted by Vindec View Post
    I would have a cull of all jack russells. I have a German Shepherd, and it's very rare indeed, that one doesn't try to have a go at her. It's got to the stage where if I am walking her off the lead and I see a jack russell approaching she is back on the lead pronto. This gutless breed of dog nearly always runs up to her, snarling, barking and growling, but usually stop within 10 feet. My main concern is that one will keep on going until quite close to my dog, and then she'll have it. I'm sure my dog after nearly six years of being tormented by these horrible little things will shake one half to death.

I have however, come across a couple where I live in Caerphilly that are no problem at all. It's the other 98% of the feckers

I guess it's down to the owner concerned to keep their jack russell from acting in such an aggressive manner. Most don't seem concerned in the least though

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Soul '68 View Post
    I would have a cull of all jack russells. I have a German Shepherd, and it's very rare indeed, that one doesn't try to have a go at her. It's got to the stage where if I am walking her off the lead and I see a jack russell approaching she is back on the lead pronto. This gutless breed of dog nearly always runs up to her, snarling, barking and growling, but usually stop within 10 feet. My main concern is that one will keep on going until quite close to my dog, and then she'll have it. I'm sure my dog after nearly six years of being tormented by these horrible little things will shake one half to death.

I have however, come across a couple where I live in Caerphilly that are no problem at all. It's the other 98% of the feckers

I guess it's down to the owner concerned to keep their jack russell from acting in such an aggressive manner. Most don't seem concerned in the least though
    thats the same for any terrier

Those terrier types are the soul crew of the of world

Those terrier types are the soul crew of the of world
    Those terrier types are the soul crew of the dog world