+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Best buys in CCFC history?

Blue in the Face

Best buys in CCFC history?

Who were are the best player purchases in CCFC histroy? Loans count too...

Re: Best buys in CCFC history?

Brian Harris cost very little from Everton and was absolute class, as was Ian Gibson, £35,000 from Coventry. Then again, Billy Hardy, £25 from Stockport County has to be up there ( and the story goes that Fred Stewart himself paid the twenty five quid not the club).

Cornelius. End of thread.

Bellamy has to be up there. He was one of the best players in the premier league the season before he joined us.

But it's Whitts for me..

Peter Whittingham

Now it's the end of fred (PS:--- Where is he, that's Thread not Peter)

PSS:---- totally agree about Harris

Its difficult as Bothroyd , Chorpa , Koumas on loan were brilliant signings. We didnt go up though.

Whereas in the lower leagues certain players were signed for next to nothing who were brilliant signings for the level we were at - Robbie James , Curtis , Jimmy Gilligan , Stant , Dale. Signing Kevin Ratcliffe virtually assured us promotion. He was a brilliant signing.
    Mark Delaney. Think we had him from the Welsh League.

Ive a feeling our greatest signing will be Ken Zahore followed by Mendez-Laing after this season. Either we are promoted or we make a massive profit on both.

So for me that leaves Peter Whittingham as well.

The thread did say the City's history mind hence me going back to Billy Hardy, Google him, a true City legend from Southern League to First Division (and nearly back). Don't dilute the City's history into about twenty odd years, we've got a rich history and that 1910-1930 era was our best ever and should always be included👍

Forgive me, I'm 30 and stared properly supporting City in my mid teens! I vaguely remember the likes of Phil Stant when I was really young and my father took me down but too young to base an opinion tbh!!

Quote Originally Posted by BlueArmy 86 View Post
    Forgive me, I'm 30 and stared properly supporting City in my mid teens! I vaguely remember the likes of Phil Stant when I was really young and my father took me down but too young to base an opinion tbh!!
    Well, I'm too young to have seen Billy Hardy, obviously, but the OP did say 'history' not the last 20/30 years. Do a bit of research on your club, I knew all about Bartley Wilson, Jack Evans, Keenor, Hardy & Ferguson etc when I was as young as 7 years old. Your club didn't start when you watched your first game. 1927 figures in many things in a lot of City fans lives, whether it's a PIN, a user name etc yet none of us on here were about then bar Bluetit obviously😂

Kenny Miller. NQAT.

Tony 'Walks on Water' Evans has to be right up there. Free transfer from Blackpool, was prolific for us for a few season's. Jeff Hemmerman not to far behind, free transfer from Pompey, prolific for a season until that terrible injury at Eastville. Mark Delaney from Camarthen Town, ended up an international and plying his trade in the top flight, Gary Bennett was another defender who springs to mind.