+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Worst sales in CCFC history?

Blue in the Face

Worst sales in CCFC history?

Who were are the worst player sales in CCFC histroy? When did we get ripped off?

Re: Worst sales in CCFC history?

Nathan Blake

£300k . Should have been £500k but Sheffield United got themselves and so we lost 200

Ross McCormack

Wasn't it just £300k we got for him?

Got to be Rambo 5 million ppffftttt

Gestede sold to Blackburn for was it £250k they sold on for £7m with no sell on clause!

Ok, I'll say it - Bale's sell-on clause.

we are terrible for not insisting on sell on clauses.

have we ever made any money from one?

Quote Originally Posted by jamieccfc View Post
    Got to be Rambo 5 million ppffftttt
    They only paid 4.8m cos we agreed to a lower figure if paid in one go

Toshack

Gerry Hitchens

Quote Originally Posted by Toadstool View Post
    Toshack
    Def. ^^

£110,000, IIRC, Shankly later said he'd have paid a million. Probably an exaggeration, but he was sold well under value, and it cost the club untold millions over the next few decades, as we'd have almost certainly gone up that year if we hadn't sold.

Certainly Toshack. One sale that I thought didn't make sense was Tony Evans

Quote Originally Posted by Louth View Post
    Certainly Toshack. One sale that I thought didn't make sense was Tony Evans
    Tony Evans was one of my favourite City players. He was with us for 4 seasons, and in the first two he was great but then missed most of his third season through injury and was never the same after that. He only scored seven goals in his final season with us and we got £125,000 for him which i thought was good. However he came back and scored two for Birmingham in the second or third game the following season! I think it was good money for him at the time and he played for Birmingham, Wolves, Palace and Swindon after us and never really did as well as he did at Cardiff.

£4.8m for Ramsay seems ridiculous these days, and even a few years ago when Joe Allen went for £15m!

Nathan Blake was a stupid sale, as someone said above we got £300k and a further £200k if Sheff Utd stayed up- they didn't. A year later he went for over a million.

Selling Leighton Phillips got us relegated in 74/5.

Selling people like Andy Dibble, Gary Bennett and other in the eighties and replacing them with poor free transfers kept us down in the lower leagues for years.

Quote Originally Posted by Blue in the Face View Post
    Who were are the worst player sales in CCFC histroy? When did we get ripped off?
    Aside from Steve McLean to Plymouth for £500k, Joe Mason to Wolves for £3m, Simon Goalkeeper bloke to Sheffield Utd for £500k (all of which were GREAT deals for us!), pretty much everyone.

We have always let players go for less than their market worth - just read the names on this thread. Is it because clubs know that we have traditionally always be strapped for cash (or because we have a tradition of letting players go cheap?!)

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby Dandruff View Post
    Aside from Steve McLean to Plymouth for £500k, Joe Mason to Wolves for £3m, Simon Goalkeeper bloke to Sheffield Utd for £500k (all of which were GREAT deals for us!), pretty much everyone.

We have always let players go for less than their market worth - just read the names on this thread. Is it because clubs know that we have traditionally always be strapped for cash (or because we have a tradition of letting players go cheap?!)
    Has to be the most bizarre deal ever.

£3 million for Mason brilliant!!